Thread: Red Pocket vs Boom

Feedback Score

Red Pocket vs Boom

So I have one phone on Red Pocket 3gb/month plan, One on Boom 2gb/month plan.

Trying to decide if I move my other line to Red Pocket. One of the main reasons I chose Boom was the postpaid coverage. It looks like that is gone.

Red Pocket:
    Pros: Cheaper $21/month
    3GB data with fallback to 2gb (maybe)
    Being able to pick from any of the 4 network providers

Cons:
    No VoLTE
    Yearly Payment

Boom:
    Pros: Maybe better customer service
    Monthly payment rather than yearly
    VoLTE
    Cons:
    More expensive, at $30/month

Speed on both for the Verizon network is capped at 5Mbs.

Anything else I left off?

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket also has a $29.75 for 1 month of service available on Amazon, so you can try it out for 1 month with having to buy a whole year.

Quote Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post

Trying to decide if I move my other line to Red Pocket. One of the main reasons I chose Boom was the postpaid coverage. It looks like that is gone.

Red Pocket:
    Pros: Cheaper $21/month
    3GB data with fallback to 2gb (maybe)
    Being able to pick from any of the 4 network providers

Cons:
    No VoLTE
    Yearly Payment

Boom:
    Pros: Maybe better customer service
    Monthly payment rather than yearly
    VoLTE
    Cons:
    More expensive, at $30/month

Speed on both for the Verizon network is capped at 5Mbs.

Anything else I left off?

Feedback Score
    curious, why would a yearly payment be a con? They've been around a long time.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    One of the main reasons I chose Boom was the postpaid coverage. It looks like that is gone.
    What do you mean postpaid coverage is gone on Boom? as far as I've read supposedly the only thing that's changed with Boom coverage is the roaming in certain areas, otherwise Boom Red users apparently are still on the VZW postpaid coverage. Has this changed?

There is a lot of discussion in the following thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...s-the-coverage

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    What do you mean postpaid coverage is gone on Boom? as far as I've read supposedly the only thing that's changed with Boom coverage is the roaming in certain areas, otherwise Boom Red users apparently are still on the VZW postpaid coverage. Has this changed?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1895539-Boom-and-roaming-on-Big-Red-Just-what-is-the-coverage[/URL]
    You may want to check out the main Boom thread, page 167 to present as service is not the same as postpaid. There is also another thread that has some information that is specific about service areas not being able to make calls/texts. Changes have resulted in Boom offering 4G LTE in the extended areas and there have been some instances where some have not been able to get services. These are in rare cases in the extended areas and Boom is working on those but if you travel in VZ extended areas, you may be affected.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Because people see that as almost as a contract. If they leave early then they lose out on months that aren't serviced. A better suited plan might come out in the future and they might miss it because of the year plan. Of course you can leave and are not obligated to stay like contract based plans.

Feedback Score
    From what was talked about in the other threads, boom is no longer on the VZ post paid network like they were before. They still may have better coverage than prepaid, but not sure if that has totally been proven now.

Yeah. The year locks you in to one carrier.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
    You may want to check out the main Boom thread, page 167 to present as service is not the same as postpaid. There is also another thread that has some information that is specific about service areas not being able to make calls/texts. Changes have resulted in Boom offering 4G LTE in the extended areas and there have been some instances where some have not been able to get services. These are in rare cases in the extended areas and Boom is working on those but if you travel in VZ extended areas, you may be affected.
    See the following post by Jeff H on page 165 of the big Boom/VZW thread where he indicates that Boom is still using the postpaid side of VZW wholesale and how the coverage is different than VZW retail and their extended network. The coverage is apparently larger than VZW's prepaid coverage:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5#post16883435

"I still stand behind the coverage that VZW has laid out for us. We are on the postpaid side of wholesale with VZW extended coverage...that coverage doesn't match VZW retail or their extended network. It is also bigger than the prepaid network. I wish they would provide us a map or look up but haven't received it yet." (note emphasis mine)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    From what was talked about in the other threads, boom is no longer on the VZ post paid network like they were before. They still may have better coverage than prepaid, but not sure if that has totally been proven now.

Yeah. The year locks you in to one carrier.
    Based on the discussion in those other threads mentioned above, with whatever change Boom/Vzw made to Boom's coverage, it appears that Boom lost the ability to send/receive SMS in Vzw extended network areas, and also no longer has the ability to use voice in those areas. Until coverage maps are provided for Boom, and some testing is done to verify accuracy of those maps, Boom's actual current network coverage is not known, so the anecdotal reports referenced above are all we have to go on, and those indicate what I have summarized above.

Puppy Wireless may have also lost the same as Boom, but that isn't confirmed.

All other Vzw MVNOs that I'm aware of still have the ability to send/receive SMS in Vzw extended network areas, and Selectel and PagePlus also have voice capabilities in Vzw extended network areas for an extra $0.20 per minute charge, or $0.29/min for PagePlus paygo.

Tracfone, using Tracfone branded non-smartphones that use the Vzw network, appear to still have use of the full Vzw postpaid network.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I have no problem with a 'contract like' arrangement knowing what to expect going in. Just like MintSim there's big savings so hopefully this prepaid trend continues. The trend in the industry is to offer more data at the same price. If another offer comes around similarly priced but with more data I'm not going to get bent outta shape about it ... I know my data needs and habits and it won't change simply because more data is available. Besides, I normally select a plan that offers data headroom above and beyond my needs from the get go.

Anything that might come down the road offering a financial advantage will be offset by the early months savings in all likelihood. Just know what you're getting in to and don't blame Red Pocket for worse service if going to a completely different network without any previous experience or research. That's the reason for the short term offers to start with.

Let's face it, there's some who will make up a variety of excuses when in fact they simply don't have the $. Fine ... pay more going month-to-month, those added revenues allow companies like Red Pocket to pass along big discounts to long term prepaid customers. Win win.
    Last edited by actinic; 08-04-2017 at 11:42 AM.