Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Sprint contract is up time to move on who has the fastest data in South Florida area?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0

    Sprint contract is up time to move on who has the fastest data in South Florida area?

    I been with Sprint since the beginning of time.
    On the Sero-P unlimited data plan costing me around $60 a month with all taxes and fees included.

    Been suffering with Sprints slow data speeds for way to long contract is up time to move on

    I'm running a Nexus 6 which should work on pretty much any network
    My usage history shows i rarely go over 2K of Data a month

    Looking for advice on which way to go ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,217
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markeee View Post
    I been with Sprint since the beginning of time.
    On the Sero-P unlimited data plan costing me around $60 a month with all taxes and fees included.

    Been suffering with Sprints slow data speeds for way to long contract is up time to move on

    I'm running a Nexus 6 which should work on pretty much any network
    My usage history shows i rarely go over 2K of Data a month

    Looking for advice on which way to go ?
    RootMetrics says Verizon with T-Mobile second place, SpeedSmart and PC Magazine say T-Mobile with Verizon second place. All for the Miami metro region.

    Importantly, PC Mag says that with T-Mobile/Verizon you get 5 Mbps or faster (what you need to browse without lag / watch HD videos) 96/95% of the time... vs just 73% on Sprint... so either of those two should be a huge upgrade over Sprint.

    https://www.pcmag.com/article/354110...tworks-2017/20
    http://speedsmart.net/wireless_index/july_2017/
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/roo...ami-fl/2017/1H
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    RootMetrics says Verizon with T-Mobile second place, SpeedSmart and PC Magazine say T-Mobile with Verizon second place. All for the Miami metro region.

    Importantly, PC Mag says that with T-Mobile/Verizon you get 5 Mbps or faster (what you need to browse without lag / watch HD videos) 96/95% of the time... vs just 73% on Sprint... so either of those two should be a huge upgrade over Sprint.

    https://www.pcmag.com/article/354110...tworks-2017/20
    http://speedsmart.net/wireless_index/july_2017/
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/roo...ami-fl/2017/1H
    Nice reply Volaris

    Looks like either of the big 3 T-Mobile/Verizon or AT&T will be a nice improvement over sprint
    Actually I'm not in Miami I'm just north of it in Broward Country FT. Lauderdale area

    Do you know of any site that lets you compare carriers speeds by zip codes ?

    I'm really just like froze into none action with so many different options to choice from
    Should i just go to Walmart buy a prepaid card or is there some better way to go I"m go lost?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,707
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Markeee View Post
    I been with Sprint since the beginning of time.
    On the Sero-P unlimited data plan costing me around $60 a month with all taxes and fees included.

    Been suffering with Sprints slow data speeds for way to long contract is up time to move on

    I'm running a Nexus 6 which should work on pretty much any network
    My usage history shows i rarely go over 2K of Data a month

    Looking for advice on which way to go ?
    Obviously you have several good options and I certainly am not saying you should try to stay with Sprint, but just fyi for completeness, if the only problem is the speed at home, Sprint does have a free "Magic Box" coming out which should offer high speeds at home in many locations. I am already approved for one. Also Sprint does have a one year "free" "unlimited" BYOD offer right now. Existing customers are not eligible but what people do is open an account in the name of another family member etc.

    Post edit: Oh I see e.mote beat me too it a few minutes ago on the some of this.
    Last edited by comintel; 08-04-2017 at 02:08 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Not sure why speed is your only cited criterion when you rarely use over "2K" (I assume you mean 2GB) a month. That's akin to buying a family van for its 0-to-60 time.

    Assuming you have an SO or a family member, you can bum off an SSN and use that to sign up for Sprint's 1-year free unlimited promo. Google for particulars.

    http://sprint.com/1yearfree

    Also, be aware that Nexus 6 isn't a lock for Verizon compatibility, depending on where it's bought.

    http://google.com/search?q=nexus+6+v...+compatibility

    Thanks for the reply

    Yes my data history is showing i never go over 2GB a month its just when i do use it I want it to work not lag and hang
    My business has me driving around all day locally in South Florida on the road here Sprints data service is a joke like browser speed , video playback ,navigation , google search its spotty at best its gotten better over time but it still really sucks no problems with it from home on Comcast wifi

    Also Thanks for the heads up on compatibility I'm running custom Rom Pure Nexus and plenty of people there in the xda forum on Verizon

    Having unlimited data is meaningless to me I don't use that much data been waiting 2 yrs for my contract to end so i could take this phone and move on to a carrier with some descent data service speeds
    Now the time is finally here and I'm just looking some feedback on tmy he best options for my particular situation is all ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Obviously you have several good options and I certainly am not saying you should try to stay with Sprint, but just fyi for completeness, if the only problem is the speed at home, Sprint does have a free "Magic Box" coming out which should offer high speeds at home in many locations. I am already approved for one. Also Sprint does have a one year "free" "unlimited" BYOD offer right now. Existing customers are not eligible but what people do is open an account in the name of another family member etc.

    Post edit: Oh I see e.mote beat me too it a few minutes ago on the some of this.
    No problems with speed from home at home its all good on Comcast Wifi but on the road here Sprint sucks big time in there data service

    When you say Magic box are you talking about AIRAVE ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,707
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Markeee View Post
    No problems with speed from home at home its all good on Comcast Wifi but on the road here Sprint sucks big time in there data service

    When you say Magic box are you talking about AIRAVE ?
    Oh I see. Well then Magic Box. would not help. As you say, another carrier will be a better choice.

    Magic Box is a newer and potentially much faster product than Airave. It is data-only initially (later voice as well, over data).

    http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-an...-magic-box.htm

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Oh I see. Well then Magic Box. would not help. As you say, another carrier will be a better choice.

    Magic Box is a newer and potentially much faster product than Airave. It is data-only initially (later voice as well, over data).

    http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-an...-magic-box.htm
    That looks interesting magic box for people that don't have wifi at home

    So what do you people think is my next best option ?

    Should i just go to Walmart get a prepaid card any other better suggestions to many options I'm lost ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,217
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markeee View Post
    That looks interesting magic box for people that don't have wifi at home

    So what do you people think is my next best option ?

    Should i just go to Walmart get a prepaid card any other better suggestions to many options I'm lost ?
    What's your main priority? Saving money? Having a store for customer service? How much data do you want per month (keep in mind if Sprint's data issues were giving you problems at some locations you go to... you might be using a little more data with better speeds/coverage).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,510
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Markeee View Post
    Thanks for the reply

    Yes my data history is showing i never go over 2GB a month its just when i do use it I want it to work not lag and hang
    My business has me driving around all day locally in South Florida on the road here Sprints data service is a joke like browser speed , video playback ,navigation , google search its spotty at best its gotten better over time but it still really sucks no problems with it from home on Comcast wifi

    Also Thanks for the heads up on compatibility I'm running custom Rom Pure Nexus and plenty of people there in the xda forum on Verizon

    Having unlimited data is meaningless to me I don't use that much data been waiting 2 yrs for my contract to end so i could take this phone and move on to a carrier with some descent data service speeds
    Now the time is finally here and I'm just looking some feedback on tmy he best options for my particular situation is all ?
    Since you are running a custom ROM, have you regularly updated the PRL? I know with many custom ROMs it can be a PITA to update the profile/PRL

    With most Verizon MVNO your data speeds will be throttled to 5Mbps. AT&T Cricket throttles 8Mbps as well as H20. My experience with T-Mobile MVNOs is that I find myself regularly deprioritized/throttled and that just may be due to my local. If going with an MVNO this is something to research.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    What's your main priority? Saving money? Having a store for customer service? How much data do you want per month (keep in mind if Sprint's data issues were giving you problems at some locations you go to... you might be using a little more data with better speeds/coverage).
    Thats a good point I didn't think of for sure might windup using maybe a little more
    Priority is a reliable carrier with solid coverage and voice service fastest possible data speeds at hopefully a better price then I"m paying now

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Since you are running a custom ROM, have you regularly updated the PRL? I know with many custom ROMs it can be a PITA to update the profile/PRL

    With most Verizon MVNO your data speeds will be throttled to 5Mbps. AT&T Cricket throttles 8Mbps as well as H20. My experience with T-Mobile MVNOs is that I find myself regularly deprioritized/throttled and that just may be due to my local. If going with an MVNO this is something to research.
    When you say MVNO you mean all the third party prepaid services like the cards they sell at Walmart your saying they all are randomly throttling ?
    I thought I read they only hit you on unlimited plans after like the first 3gb or after you use up your GB's of your particular plan ?

    What are my throttled options ?

    As far as PRL this is not a PRL issue I always update my PRL's

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,338
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Markeee View Post
    When you say MVNO you mean all the third party prepaid services like the cards they sell at Walmart your saying they all are randomly throttling ?
    I thought I read they only hit you on unlimited plans after like the first 3gb or after you use up your GB's of your particular plan ?

    What are my throttled options ?

    As far as PRL this is not a PRL issue I always update my PRL's
    That's just the maximum speed when you're not being throttled, when you go past your monthly data allotment that's when you're throttled for the remainder of your 30 day period . Have you checked out Verizon prepaid or Total wireless?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South Florida Broward County
    Posts
    59
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    That's just the maximum speed when you're not being throttled, when you go past your monthly data allotment that's when you're throttled for the remainder of your 30 day period . Have you checked out Verizon prepaid or Total wireless?
    No I haven't checked out anything yet I been with Sprint from the beginning of time now that my contract is up I'm trying to figure out which way to go
    I'm living in South Florida and Sprints data service is super spotty and slow out on the roads here locally

    Like I was saying above Sprints usage history is showing I never really use over 2GBs data a month over the past 2yrs
    I'm paying like $60 a month total with all fees

    So you saying you feel Verizon prepaid and Total wireless are some of the better options to consider ?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,217
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Total Wireless is on Verizon. They have a nice $35/month 5GB plan. Did they remove the 5Mbps speed cap? I think I saw a few mention they did.

    If you want the absolute cheapest, there's MintSIM... you buy 3 months at a time but can be as little as $15 a month for 2GB (or a little more if you want 5GB ($20) or 10GB ($25)). Some say their speeds don't go above 20Mbps but not sure if that's an established fact. Runs on T-Mobile.

    If you want unlimited LTE data, MetroPCS (owned by and runs on T-Mobile) has a $50/month plan with no taxes or fees.

    If you want to explore more options, go to WhistleOut.com... there's dozens of companies out there wanting your business.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 12:06 PM
  2. After 7 years, is it time to move on?
    By najames1 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM
  4. Advice: Time to Move On?
    By Aurora in forum Sprint
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 10:11 PM
  5. Contract is up what to do
    By donniegood04 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 10:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks