Thread: Is it easy to make Sprint S8 work on other carriers

Device(s)
    Oneplus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Is it easy to make Sprint S8 work on other carriers

I am with Cricket Wireless now. Sprint's one year free offer is so inviting. However, I do not have a Sprint compatible phone. What I am thinking is to get a Sprint S8 which cost $15.63*18 months= $281. If Sprint does not work for me will I be able to use this phone on other carriers like Cricket? I think Verizon puts its own firmware on their phones disabling LTE bands needed on other carriers. So to make the phone work on other carriers one has to reflash the firmware. What will be needed on Sprint S8 or S8+ to make it a phone workable on other carriers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emily1995 View Post
    I am with Cricket Wireless now. Sprint's one year free offer is so inviting. However, I do not have a Sprint compatible phone. What I am thinking is to get a Sprint S8 which cost $15.63*18 months= $281. If Sprint does not work for me will I be able to use this phone on other carriers like Cricket? I think Verizon puts its own firmware on their phones disabling LTE bands needed on other carriers. So to make the phone work on other carriers one has to reflash the firmware. What will be needed on Sprint S8 or S8+ to make it a phone workable on other carriers?
    Cricket and att websites say it will work. The S8 has bands 2,4,5,12,13,17,25,26,41. I've been told 29,30,66 are blocked. Don't know if that's true or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Oneplus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I know an unlocked S8 from Samsung will work on all carriers. That is not my question. My question is will a Sprint branded S8 work on other carriers?

Feedback Score
    I know an unlocked S8 from Samsung will work on all carriers. That is not my question. My question is will a Sprint branded S8 work on other carriers?
    I was talking about the Sprint model.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If it's unlocked domestically then you could flash the G950U or G950A firmware onto the device. The former supports all carriers and the later is specifically baked for AT&T with more support for their network features like HD Voice, 4x4 MIMO, 256QAM, and 3xCA.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    Galaxy nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I believe you are leading the phone from Sprint.. you don't get to own it for 281..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app
    Proud to be Latin/Chinese xD

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    if I'm not mistaken, all s8 phones are the same no matter if it is bought from gsm, cdma or unlocked they all have the same radio and bands from what I read.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrunyon41722 View Post
    if I'm not mistaken, all s8 phones are the same no matter if it is bought from gsm, cdma or unlocked they all have the same radio and bands from what I read.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app
    it's all dependent on carrier firmware.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You would have to buy the Sprint S8 at full price. They don't let you lease a phone on the free for a year program.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    You would have to buy the Sprint S8 at full price. They don't let you lease a phone on the free for a year program.
    You can after 120 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto Zap View Post
    You can after 120 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So. You can't sign up for the free year offer unless you bring your own phone! And it has to be one that is on Sprint's approved list.