Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Moto E4 VZW/ATT/TMO $42 @ Walmart (in-store only)

Feedback Score

Moto E4 VZW/ATT/TMO $42 @ Walmart (in-store only)

SD folks are reporting Moto E4 Verizon (XT1767), $40 from Walmart, is compatible with AT&T and TMO after eBay $2 unlock. Not compatible with Sprint.

http://slickdeals.net/f/10418732

http://walmart.com/ip/953073971

http://ebay.com/itm/221936302683

Aside from the above, this only works with VZW prepaid, not VZW postpaid or VZW MVNO. For the latter, you have to pay VZW fee of a month's sub to be unlocked. The eBay unlock is apparently only for other carriers, not VZW network itself.

Feedback Score
    I ordered 1 on Walmart.com with the option to pick up at a store near me. $39.88 + $3.29 tax is not bad to use for a back up phone on Verizon prepaid.
    Last edited by sbmobile; 08-05-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Price is $39.88, not $39.99 as I mistyped.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    I was going to buy one, but it sounds like the unlock only unlocks data, not calling.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    SD folks are reporting Moto E4 Verizon (XT1767), $40 from Walmart, is compatible with AT&T and TMO after eBay $2 unlock. Not compatible with Sprint.

http://slickdeals.net/f/10418732

http://walmart.com/ip/953073971

http://ebay.com/itm/221936302683

Aside from the above, this only works with VZW prepaid, not VZW postpaid or VZW MVNO. For the latter, you have to pay VZW fee of a month's sub to be unlocked. The eBay unlock is apparently only for other carriers, not VZW network itself.
    I was surprised to see the reports of it working with AT&T and T-Mobile, including 3G/UMTS and LTE band 17. It seems that VZW didn't cripple this one compared to the VZW PP Moto G4 Play XT1609, which only supports LTE bands 2, 4 and 5 for AT&T/T-Mob and no 2G or 3G at all.

I'm still not convinced that it won't work with an activated Verizon MVNO SIM, but maybe they've implemented an IMEI check.

Since the bootloader can't be unlocked and there is no exploit to bypass the hotspot check, I'm not sure if this is worth it compared to the unlocked version XT1748, which can be had for $100 or less.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post

I'm still not convinced that it won't work with an activated Verizon MVNO SIM, but maybe they've implemented an IMEI check...
    Ditto on the VZ MNVOs not working with an active SIM. One seemingly knowledgeable person in the SD thread says it may work for a short while but then be disabled. It wouldn't surprise me if VZ has clamped down even further on use of their prepaid phone on anything but Verizon.

Feedback Score
    I grabbed one to compare to the Verizon Prepaid Galaxy S4 I've been using on Cricket for the last year. Nice thing about the S4 is that it tethered right out of the box. Just waiting on the unlock code for the E4.

Feedback Score
    This is a great budget phone for $40. I picked one up using site to store pickup option and so far, I'm impressed with the quality at this low price. I will order the eBay unlock code to see if I can run my AT&T SIM in it OK. People who would like to root the phone will need to unlock the bootloader first and hopefully, Motorola will add this phone to the list of the phones that can be bootloader unlocked. Yup, I'd just check the XDA-Developers forum often for development updates on this phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    >it sounds like the unlock only unlocks data, not calling.

Per reports in SD thread--scan the last few pages, not the entire thing--both voice and text work on TMO, although you may need to fiddle with network settings. Fewer mentions of AT&T voice, but IIRC there was at least one.

This would be a good choice for FP LTE SIM, as well as a basic "unlocked" phone for ATT/TMO in general.

Note: This Verizon and the unlocked variant have fingerprint sensor. The Sprint and MetroPCS variants do not. AFAIK, all US variants have SD 425 or 427 SoC, whereas international variants have MTK SoC. Also, when buying phone case/cover, US variants have slightly different form factor than international ones, so be sure to buy the right one, especially from Chinese vendors.

>I'm still not convinced that it won't work with an activated Verizon MVNO SIM, but maybe they've implemented an IMEI check.

Restriction on subsidized Verizon prepaid phones has been in place in early last year. Even if it does work, I'm not keen on SIM swap trick, since a) it's a hassle, and b) there's been at least one report on Boom of VZW terminating a SIM-swapped account for "unauthorized" use. Convenience and peace of mind are the two main things we pay for when we buy phones, so SIM swap trick is counterproductive, IMO. I suppose it's an option, but it wouldn't be my first option.

>Since the bootloader can't be unlocked and there is no exploit to bypass the hotspot check, I'm not sure if this is worth it compared to the unlocked version XT1748, which can be had for $100 or less.

I don't think most care about bootloader or even know what it is, which is fine. It's a geek thing, and if you know about ROMs and such, you get some perks, but normal phones work fine as-is.

But yes, E4 would be a natural for ROMs, being cheap and capable, as well as unlockable and universal. I've been monitoring E4 XDA dev forum, and it was empty for a while. A few days ago, Squid2 posted in an E4 thread saying that he'll be heading up LineageOS dev for E4 (unlocked variant). So, good news. Hoping to see a stable rev to coincide with BF sale.
    There was only one report of someone using an Axon 7 on Boom Mobile that was kicked off. There were several reports of people getting text messages about using an unauthorized device who were using Prepaid devices on Tracfone companies along with possibly one that was blacklisted. At least one report of someone getting a text message later that said that an exception was granted for their device.

I suspect Verizon backed off and I've seen quite a few reports of people running VZW PP devices with swapped activated SIMs on Verizon MVNOs.

If there's a concern that a VZW PP device could be kicked off, it's also a concern that an update could disable calling and texting capability in firmware, like it may be with the VZW PP Moto G4 Play.

That said, I may still get one since it's the cheapest way for me to try out Android 7 and a fingerprint scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmobile View Post
    This is a great budget phone for $40. I picked one up using site to store pickup option and so far, I'm impressed with the quality at this low price. I will order the eBay unlock code to see if I can run my AT&T SIM in it OK. People who would like to root the phone will need to unlock the bootloader first and hopefully, Motorola will add this phone to the list of the phones that can be bootloader unlocked. Yup, I'd just check the XDA-Developers forum often for development updates on this phone.
    There is absolutely no chance that Motorola will allow the VZW PP Moto E4 to be bootloader unlocked. It never happened with any of the other VZW PP phones manufactured by Motorola.

It's also not likely that an exploit will be found to unlock the bootloader.

Feedback Score
    Don't know about the bootloader unlock, I just wait and see. If that does not happen, no big deal to me. I just saw a video on YouTube, a guy said he could run his Xfinity Mobile SIM in this E4. I did not have time to watch the whole video, though.

Feedback Score
    >a guy said he could run his Xfinity Mobile SIM in this E4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vya-F3vpjWs

That's good news. That means my $10 BF Special E2 still has a use for other than FP SIMs. But you still need an eligible phone for XM BYOD when that happens, and pretty sure these won't qualify.

Speaking of qualifying, I've not heard whether E4 unlocked can be activated on VZW (or Boom). Has anyone? BW01?
    Yup, that's the one! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Got my unlock code really quick and the E4 works perfect on Cricket. Kinda disappointed that it didn't tether out of the box like my Verizon Prepaid Galaxy S4 did but I'll live. Definitely a little nicer then the Moto G4 Play.

Feedback Score
    Right, the eBay seller whom I ordered the $2.09 unlock code from sent it to me in under 10 minutes after I sumitted the order.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    >a guy said he could run his Xfinity Mobile SIM in this E4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vya-F3vpjWs

That's good news. That means my $10 BF Special E2 still has a use for other than FP SIMs. But you still need an eligible phone for XM BYOD when that happens, and pretty sure these won't qualify.

Speaking of qualifying, I've not heard whether E4 unlocked can be activated on VZW (or Boom). Has anyone? BW01?
    I don't remember reading anything. Everyone seems to be trying to get the Verizon PP version to work with everyone except Verizon.

Feedback Score

Moto E4 VZW/ATT/TMO $42 @ Walmart (In-Store Only)

I may have to order one of these.

Feedback Score
    Does it support VoLTE of ATT and T-Mobile?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast