Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else getting "$.01 Account Maintenance" charges on their Freedompop Global

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Is anyone else getting "$.01 Account Maintenance" charges on their Freedompop Global

Folks,

I noticed last month and this month on some of my Freedompop Global Sim cards that a $.01 Account Maintenance charge has showed up. I have six or so Global Sims that I used last Fall when in Europe. For the most part, I'm not using them currently.

I'm wondering if Freedompop is 1) checking to make sure the card on file is still active? 2) starting to charge a fee for inactivity?

Has anyone else noticed a similar $.01 Account Maintenance fee on their Global Sim cards?

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just went through all my FP sim cards. I have nine Global sims (some with numbers, some data only), a Netgear Fuse (sprint), and one LTE sim. On seven of the nine, I was charged $.01 either in June or July. On two of the Global data only sims I was charged $.01 both in June and July. Nothing on the LTE sim or the Netgear Fuse (sprint) hotspot.

I'm not worried about the $.01 charges because I'm going to use the sim cards this Fall in Europe again. I'm might try calling FP later today to see what triggers the Account Maintenance fee?

Boz1, do you use your Global sim cards regularly? Maybe I'm being charged since I haven't used them in months?

Eric

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Folks,

I noticed last month and this month on some of my Freedompop Global Sim cards that a $.01 Account Maintenance charge has showed up. I have six or so Global Sims that I used last Fall when in Europe. For the most part, I'm not using them currently.

I'm wondering if Freedompop is 1) checking to make sure the card on file is still active? 2) starting to charge a fee for inactivity?

Has anyone else noticed a similar $.01 Account Maintenance fee on their Global Sim cards?

Eric
    I have 9 FP accounts and 12 FP SIMS, 4 of which are FP Global SIMs, and I have not. However, yours is not the first report of it on HoFo. It seems random, and I don't think anybody has figured out why some accounts/SIMs get the $0.01 charge and some don't.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Boz1, do you use your Global sim cards regularly? Maybe I'm being charged since I haven't used them in months?

Eric
    I don't actually use them at this time, but I log into each of them every month to gift 100MB to one of my FP AT&T LTE SIMs.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have random charges like that on some of my FP accounts. I also just noticed they have been charging me $2.49 for voicemail in one account. I must have accidentally activated it. I turned it off. You have to watch them...

Feedback Score
    I think it may have been said that they cannot do monthly test charges on some credit cards (that are normally cancelled) because their arrangements with some credit card companies will not allow them, so on those credit cards they have to do a one cent charge.
    Last edited by comintel; 08-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Feedback Score
    Yes, on my Global SIM line for the past two months, but not on my LTE or CDMA lines. I do use all the lines at least once a month.

All my lines are totally free and I have never had any other charge on any of them aside from the activation fee.

It's a nuisance. Please someone figure out how to stop it.

I will have to go online and see what the status of the card on file is. I assume it is active or it wouldn't allow even a 1 cent charge.

Device(s)
    LeEco S3
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone + Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I got charged 1c on 2 devices a week ago

Feedback Score
    I just checked all of my accounts (old hotspots and dongles; Freedomsleeve; global and LTE SIMs; SprintNet phone). No $0.01 charges...

Feedback Score
    I have asked support to cancel service on all my accounts, gave all the emails I have used. One of the account had two sims, one global sim with calling and another just data service. Last year cancelled the service on the global sim with calling while in the first month trial. Cancelled the service on the data only sim just recently. Still got charged by 1 cents at the end of June and July. Could the long ago cancelled service still trigger the 1 cent charge? Or I just have another account I no longer aware of?
    Last edited by piquae; 08-07-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: additional info

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I noticed I got 2 of them on the same day on one of my LTE SIMs last week, I contacted their Twitter support and received this response:

"As a consumer, we want to ensure that service is always available. Therefore, we perform a maintenance verification during the course of your service when usage is not detected. The maintenance verification charge of $0.01 is applied to ensure that you have the capability to utilize our services by verifying the payment method on file. Please be advised that this will not affect your current monthly plan."

Without asking they refunded the 2 cents. After looking in the Terms of Service it says they can charge this fee under certain circumstances:

"Notwithstanding anything else in these Terms to the contrary, if you choose the Free Monthly Broadband Plan or the Free Monthly Phone Plan and (a) do not make a payment for excess usage, Value Added Services, or Other Services in any particular month and (b) use less than 5mb or make fewer then five (5) calls in any given month, FreedomPop reserves the right to charge you a $0.01 maintenance fee ("Maintenance Fee") to keep your FreedomPop Account active."

I have a few other FP accoints and none of them have been charged this fee yet, even if they don't have any activity. I'll have to keep a closer eye on them now.

Sent from my VS986 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yes I've been getting 1c charges. No idea why. ATT LTE sims

Feedback Score
    I made 5 brief calls to my other numbers every month. So far I have not seen the $0.01 charge.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    They do charge 1 cent inactivity fee. I got the same response as damackdog when I asked support about it. At least 2 of my 5 accounts just got charged the inactivity fee.
    Shawn

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    So it seems that if you're not using it, they make sure they still have a valid payment account linked to it. This makes sense for them to deactivate truly dormant and orphaned SIMs, as they'd have no other way to do so. With no cost and no contract, really not much reason to explicitly cancel - so once the linked card expires if they'd presumably deactivate the SIM.

Seems a lot fairer than some other bizarre usage requirement.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast