Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last check of any better options for my 13yr old. Cricket is in the pole position

Feedback Score

Last check of any better options for my 13yr old. Cricket is in the pole position

Is there anything remotely worth considering for provider for a smartphone for my 13yr old besides Cricket where I can get him 4gb per month for 20 bucks?

I have him on Tello right now and for 7 or 8 bucks after taxes he gets 100 mins, unlimited texts and No data. We have him on a flipphone but finally giving in to reality and letting him have a smartphone.

Being a Cricket customer myself I just can't see the reason to try to thread some needle with Tello where he can get some tiny data bucket and still worry about call minutes too just to save a couple bucks and likely he will have overages and then what do I do.

But I always like to check and make sure some other option hasn't popped up. If there was something for 10 to 15 a month that had reasonable data allowance of at least a gig I would consider. Cricket also has slow data even if he blows through his 4gb so I see it as bombproof for a 13yr old and at 20 bucks I don't see anyone else close in value

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Is there anything remotely worth considering for provider for a smartphone for my 13yr old besides Cricket where I can get him 4gb per month for 20 bucks?

I have him on Tello right now and for 7 or 8 bucks after taxes he gets 100 mins, unlimited texts and No data. We have him on a flipphone but finally giving in to reality and letting him have a smartphone.

Being a Cricket customer myself I just can't see the reason to try to thread some needle with Tello where he can get some tiny data bucket and still worry about call minutes too just to save a couple bucks and likely he will have overages and then what do I do.

But I always like to check and make sure some other option hasn't popped up. If there was something for 10 to 15 a month that had reasonable data allowance of at least a gig I would consider. Cricket also has slow data even if he blows through his 4gb so I see it as bombproof for a 13yr old and at 20 bucks I don't see anyone else close in value
    You can get a year "free" "unlimited" on the Sprint BYOD offer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    You can get a year "free" "unlimited" on the Sprint BYOD offer.
    Lots of finger quotes in your post so I feel like there are catches

Feedback Score
    Lots of finger quotes in your post so I feel like there are catches
    Not major ones or I would not have posted it.
    Just very briefly it is $5 a month with $5 credit for autopay, leading to monthly total cost including "tax" of about $4 a month (varies depending on state).
    There are some limits on video streaming resolution and if you go over 23 GB in a month you are subject to prioritization.
    Credit approval required. Online or phone only. Not in stores. New customers only. etc. I am not going to type in every last detail. You need to look them up yourself, including number port-in required etc.

Feedback Score
    the catch is you have to byod to sprint and only certain devices qualify
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ice-for-1-year

3rd post down is the list of devices

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    the catch is you have to byod to sprint and only certain devices qualify
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ice-for-1-year

3rd post down is the list of devices
    That list is just their standard list of non-Sprint devices that work well on Sprint (the same list is used elsewhere).

They will also accept most non-prepaid Sprint phones as well. I have an LS676 Tribute HD on (but it has to have post-paid origin). If it was sold as post-paid but has been on an MVNO, you have to have the ownership flag flipped from PLBL to SPCS for it to test as eligible on their checker. That is detailed in other threads.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the above. Very helpful

I did a chat with sprint and after about 12 minutes finally got them to answer my question. For me it will be about 9 bucks a month with all the taxes and fees. So need to decide whether worth it vs known quantity at Cricket of 20 a month, often cheaper when I use prepaid cards purchased at discount.

That said it seems like an interesting plan for a 13 yr old.

One gating item might be coming from Tello, which is a sprint based MVNOs. The chat "thought" it might be OK but I don't think she had any idea

I just ordered that Verizon Moto E4 everyone is jizzing over. Need to also check to see if that even works on Sprint once unlocked thru the ebay code

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the above. Very helpful

I did a chat with sprint and after about 12 minutes finally got them to answer my question. For me it will be about 9 bucks a month with all the taxes and fees. So need to decide whether worth it vs known quantity at Cricket of 20 a month, often cheaper when I use prepaid cards purchased at discount.

That said it seems like an interesting plan for a 13 yr old.

One gating item might be coming from Tello, which is a sprint based MVNOs. The chat "thought" it might be OK but I don't think she had any idea

I just ordered that Verizon Moto E4 everyone is jizzing over. Need to also check to see if that even works on Sprint once unlocked thru the ebay code
    I ported my number from Tello via a brief intermediate stop on RedPocket to be sure it would qualify.

The Verizon-specific E4 would not work on Sprint. The regular E4 does qualify and a lot of people are using it for the Sprint offer. Quite a few people have got Best Buy to price-match the Amazon $99 price.
    Last edited by comintel; 08-07-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I ported my number from Tello via a brief intermediate stop on RedPocket to be sure it would qualify.

The Verizon-specific E4 would not work on Sprint. The regular E4 does qualify and a lot of people are using it for the Sprint offer. Quite a few people have got Best Buy to price-match the Amazon $99 price.
    Not worth it to spend another 70 bucks and then futz with the Sprint plan including intermediate ports etc just to save 120 over the next year IMO at least (only 50 in net savings)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you can get onto Cricket for $20/month, then that is hard to beat. Of course you must be part of a 5-line group to get that price.

If paying for an individual line, then there are cheaper options than Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spocko View Post
    If you can get onto Cricket for $20/month, then that is hard to beat. Of course you must be part of a 5-line group to get that price.

If paying for an individual line, then there are cheaper options than Cricket.
    I already have 3 lines and this will be a fourth. Then I will take on one renter line and we're at 20 bucks

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Word of caution with the sprint deal. It's a great promo but you only get it for a year then it costs. So you get a 13 yr old hooked on unlimited data then in a year try to change their usage habits when you have to switch to capped data for affordability? Good luck with that!

(Yes I know the cap is only for high speed but the throttled overage is useless for a lot of things kids want their phones for)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Word of caution with the sprint deal. It's a great promo but you only get it for a year then it costs. So you get a 13 yr old hooked on unlimited data then in a year try to change their usage habits when you have to switch to capped data for affordability? Good luck with that!

(Yes I know the cap is only for high speed but the throttled overage is useless for a lot of things kids want their phones for)
    I thought of that too. Also just a pain to jump through hoops trying to port from a Sprint MVNO and then still pay 10 bucks a month when I can get a free phone from Cricket and probably flip it too

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is the best deal.
    Make cheap national and int'l telephone calls with a calling card! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Redpocket annual plans. One has unlimited texting adn 1gb data. $179 right now on ebay I believe. Any network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast