Thread: Moto E4 Verizon Prepaid on Postpaid?

Feedback Score

Moto E4 Verizon Prepaid on Postpaid?

I need to get a phone for my kid and the Moto E4 fits the bill. I can add her to my postpaid account but wanted to double check and see what the requirements were to be able to add a prepaid phone to it. Do I just need to use the phone on a prepaid account for 1 month? Can I just put an active postpaid sim in it for it to work? Thanks for any help. I seemed to keep running into conflicting info when trying to find the answer myself.

Feedback Score
    don't see why it wouldn't work with a post paid verizon sim.
    i know you can use AT&T prepaid phones on AT&T post paid AT&T
    and even on cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    I need to get a phone for my kid and the Moto E4 fits the bill. I can add her to my postpaid account but wanted to double check and see what the requirements were to be able to add a prepaid phone to it. Do I just need to use the phone on a prepaid account for 1 month? Can I just put an active postpaid sim in it for it to work? Thanks for any help. I seemed to keep running into conflicting info when trying to find the answer myself.
    After using the phone on a prepaid account for 1 month, you'll need to contact Verizon by dialing *611 from the phone or calling (888) 294-6804 to get the instructions to unlock it.

http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmobile View Post
    After using the phone on a prepaid account for 1 month, you'll need to contact Verizon by dialing *611 from the phone or calling (888) 294-6804 to get the instructions to unlock it.

http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy
    I don't think that has anything to with using a Verizon prepaid device on postpaid.

Actually, I remember seeing the requirements on the back of the phones box. There was a time and/or refill value requirement clearly stated.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    I don't think that has anything to with using a Verizon prepaid device on postpaid.

Actually, I remember seeing the requirements on the back of the phones box. There was a time and/or refill value requirement clearly stated.
    Yes, it's 12 months or $75. But it's unclear because there are so few people reporting and the few that I've read range from activating on the cheapest prepaid plan (as low as $30 in the past) and having it whitelisted the next day to having it activated on prepaid for several months and still not getting it whitelisted.

In the past putting an activated postpaid SIM in a prepaid phone (Moto G4 Play) has resulted in hotlining the SIM which required calling in to CS to get it cleared after putting it back in a postpaid phone.

I haven't read of anyone saying their line was hotlined with this phone, but did report that it didn't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    don't see why it wouldn't work with a post paid verizon sim.
    i know you can use AT&T prepaid phones on AT&T post paid AT&T
    and even on cricket.
    Yea but you can't use a cricket device on att. Most prepaid companies( especially ones that offer phones at subsidized prices such as your cricket, metro pcs, Verizon prepaid) make you have the device active for a certain period of time on that prepaid provider before it can be unlocked or used in the postpaid service. Cricket and metro both do this. Metro requires 90 days on metro pcs before they will unlock a device, cricket is either 6 months of you must do one month of the unlimited plan. Verizon follows more the cricket model, it's one year or the amount listed on the back of the box. For the e4 it's 75 dollars must be loaded on the account. Att prepaid doesn't offer subsidized pricing on their handsets. Generally you pay full price for them, same with tmobile prepaid, so that's why their devices don't carry any restrictions to use them on their postpaid services.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post

The box says 1 year or $75 but you can contact Verizon via the numbers in the link I had above after 1 month on prepaid (min $40 plan) to unlock the phone to use on postpaid or other Verizon MVNO's.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I can see why now I was getting some conflicting info when trying to look it up. I'm not in a rush to get something and might look for something different.

Feedback Score
    I paid the $40 for 1 month and got an unlock code from Verizon through chat, but they told me I couldn't use it on Post Paid until 30 days. Will it hotline if I try to put a post-paid sim in it right now?

Feedback Score
    I just did this with an LG K8. Got the phone on sale at Meijers with $40 airtime for a cost of $86. Activated on prepaid number this past weekend, made a few calls and used some data to get the phone set up.

I had been reading this forum and slickdeals to try to determine the best course to get this on my postpaid line, was debating adding more funds to get to the $75 indicated on the box, or call for an unlock code. Finally decided to just go ahead and swap sims and see what happens. So yesterday I put the sim sim card from my postpaid line into the K8. Everything is working fine so far. I did check the K8's IMEI number thru Verizon phone swap online before I did the sim swap, it reported as clear.