Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very Poor Data Experience Since The Recent Plan Updates

Feedback Score

These are my test results in PA outside of Philly by west chester. I'm in the walmart 7gb plus 2 gb bonus data. Seems to be ok with me. I've done a few other tests never had really slow speeds.

Sent from my SM-N910V using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Are people that have slow speeds on prepaid using the Walmart prepaid SIM plans? When I had the Walmart SIM prepaid plan it seemed like my speeds were terrible. Like I was heavily depriortized. But now I am using a SIM kit I bought directly from Verizon and even though I have a little less data each month compared to the Walmart plan, I seem to have better speeds overall. Could this be possible? Maybe Verizon treats the Walmart plan more like an MVNO and gives a higher priority to its own prepaid plan? Also, the Walmart SIM kit was a gray SIM card and the kit I got directly from Verizon is a red SIM card just like postpaid.
    I am not on the Walmart plan. I am on the regular sim from VZ.
    Name:  Screenshot_20170814-185943.png
Views: 534
Size:  367.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20170814-190041.png
Views: 530
Size:  360.5 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I ended up calling telesales today and am now officially back on post paid. Not only did they waive the activation fee they also went ahead and switched everything over on my existing Sim card rather than to force me to get a new one and have to wait. About 10 seconds after hanging up my phone dropped its connection for about 30 seconds and once it came back alive I was officially on post paid. The same card that was receiving such horrible speeds on pre-paid is now seeing a major increase on post paid.

For those who are not seeing the slowdowns consider yourself very lucky. At first after switching plans I did not see it either but once it hit it was literally like slamming on the brakes.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless / Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    The slow speeds I mentioned above in North Central Ohio were on my non-Walmart plan.

As mentioned, it was fine in the Cleveland and Toledo areas, just very slow in between.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
    The slow speeds I mentioned above in North Central Ohio were on my non-Walmart plan.

As mentioned, it was fine in the Cleveland and Toledo areas, just very slow in between.
    In the Tampa area where I lived speeds were definitely slower compared to postpaid but not to the point that it cost me any issues. It wasn't until my trip out of town last week that I saw for myself how really bad it was. From Ocala northward on I 75 and along I 10 into the Florida Panhandle it was ridiculously bad. It was severe to the point that I could not even stream a 64k station through TuneIn. After switching back to postpaid I went back the same way that I came to go home on Tuesday and had 0 issues.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone talked to customer service? I am not going to put up with .01 download speed. We should at least be getting the throttled speed.

Is there any hope that things will change or will it be like this going forward.

Feedback Score
    I've also noticed a drop in data speeds since the new plans rolled out. This happens especially during peak hours. This sucks since VZW prepaid was amazing before the new plan changes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfromtheblock View Post
    Has anyone talked to customer service? I am not going to put up with .01 download speed. We should at least be getting the throttled speed.

Is there any hope that things will change or will it be like this going forward.
    I did and all they said they could do was to submit a trouble ticket.When I checked back 24 hours later the ticket had been closed and comments left that everything was normal based on how the plan was setup.

Feedback Score
    The new 'rules' for post paid might be good for prepaid...keep the network from getting overly bogged down. Lets hope it actually makes things better for us.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/22/...-to-customers/

Feedback Score
    I've never ran a speed test, but I've noticed apps are acting different. Lately, Tunein is buffering all the time when it rarely would. It took 30+ seconds to login to my bank app yesterday when it would usually open right away. The throttling is bad in Iowa. Thinking about trying out GoPhone.

Device(s)
    Samsung i760
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've noticed it sucks also.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CyHawk View Post
    Lately, Tunein is buffering all the time when it rarely would. It took 30+ seconds to login to my bank. The throttling is bad in Iowa. Thinking about trying out GoPhone.
    Without saying don't waste your time, you might not want to waste your time.

Since June I have been on the AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile network. All on their prepaid (not MVNO) division.

All of them struggled miserably. Dropped calls, extreme delays when waiting for a call to connect, many calls going right to voicemail and of course, the dreaded slow data syndrome.

I say don't waste your time jokingly as being able to bounce around changing carriers is a great benefit of being on prepaid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    i90
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
    I am not on the Walmart plan. I am on the regular sim from VZ.
    Name:  Screenshot_20170814-185943.png
Views: 534
Size:  367.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20170814-190041.png
Views: 530
Size:  360.5 KB
    You should look at your actual RSCP levels when you run those speed tests - looking at just your bar reading - you are on the fringe of a cell - your thoughput is directly proportional to the quality of your connection...

Check out an app called LTE Discovery on the Play store - I'd post the link but I don't post enough to be allowed to (stupid forum rules)

Love to share a screenshot here but cause i don't post frequently enough i'm getting a stupid error saying i need to post more to share images and links...

I've only have around a -97 rsrp (rx) signal which is kinda low (ideally you want to be between -70 to -90 - typically worse than -95 to -105 and you're gonna slow to a crawl) and at an rsrq (quality) of -7 - the rsrq dictates how good the quality is (worse than a -12 and you'd also be crawling) - these are in negative numbers so lower is better... -7 is pretty darn good actually - this is band 2 which is PCS (1900MHz) which, if you didn't know, this and other higher frequencies perform faster but are more prone to signal loss in-building but this is totally dependent on how much spectrum they have in that area - if they only have 5mhz speeds will be very slow - if they have 20mhz it should be faster but that depends on overall capacity...

I'm currently getting around 70Mbps down and 15+Mbps up - which is higher than usual, then again these are taken at 1p in a residential area...

Granted, I'm post pay...

Two side my side phones (but different models) may not have the same band class support so you can't always go by just which sim is in which device - sometimes it's the device's inability to support certain transmission types including MIMO ...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    kz121

Feedback Score
    Would switch back to vz prepaid if they ever fix the data problem, but att prepaid is a bit faster even when throttled 🤷🏽*♂️

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Here is my last test, a few days ago, from Verizon Prepaid in Arlington Virginia.

Name:  Speedtest_08_22_2017.png
Views: 278
Size:  500.9 KB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast