T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile to Add 1+ million square miles of coverage by EOY 2017

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirele...llout-for-2017

Name:  T-Mobile 600 MHz.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  26.4 KB

T-Mobile has filed a fairly aggressive plan with the FCC to deploy its freshly awarded 600 MHz spectrum for mobile broadband, with a goal to cover 1 million-plus square miles of the country with service by the end of the year.

The No. 3 U.S mobile carrier laid out its plans in an ex parte filing with the FCC. T-Mobile was the big winner in the commission’s April incentive auction of broadcast spectrum, 84 MHz of which has been freed up by the transition from analog to digital TV; the carrier spent $8 billion to snag holdings that are particularly concentrated in hundreds of thousands of square miles of rural and remote portions of the country, where residents may have never had wireless broadband connections, or where competition is limited. As such, much of the deployment will add new ink to the No. 3 mobile carrier’s coverage map, in places like Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming.

In T-Mobile's filing, it offered a look at its 600 MHz winnings from the auction:

Name:  tmo-map.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  39.8 KB

The company said in June that it has already started laying the groundwork for 600 MHz deployments, but the availability of the spectrum is dependent upon the speed of the broadcast transition. Broadcasters that participated in the auction are transitioning their operations to a different frequency band or channel share. Those that didn’t participate will have their spectrum “repacked” into other bands to protect their signals from neighboring broadband interference (to ensure uninterrupted TV service). All of this means the FCC faces a time-consuming process of reauthorization and relicensing TV stations, for which it has allotted 39 months.

Broadcasters have their own share of obligations in the transition, too, and face a potential holdup given that their initial cost estimates for the move exceed the amount funded by Congress by approximately $389 million. In this week’s filing, T-Mobile said that it’s working with broadcasters to keep the 600 MHz relocation on schedule, and that it has agreed to invest in broadcast equipment manufacturing capacity, installation resources, help for low-power TV stations and support for TV translator licenses to make it happen.

“Quickly approving cost estimates and rapidly dispersing the money necessary to help fund broadcast relocation will complement the wireless operators’ massive investments in deploying the 600 MHz spectrum as quickly as possible,” the carrier noted in the filing.

T-Mobile recently said that it’s prepared to fast-track the 600 MHz deployment on its end, gaining 3GPP approval on specifications in May and working with infrastructure and device vendors to have compatible gear.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Now let's hope to see more than 2 UE capable of supporting it in the same time frame, or at least one high end model. Note 8 passed FCC certification with no B71. Maybe the V30 or Pixel 2. V20 was the first UE to support 66 IIRC.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Now let's hope to see more than 2 UE capable of supporting it in the same time frame, or at least one high end model. Note 8 passed FCC certification with no B71. Maybe the V30 or Pixel 2. V20 was the first UE to support 66 IIRC.
    Since 3GPP hasn't approved Band 71 yet it would be hard for the FCC to give a certification to Band 71 that doesn't exist offically yet. Some sources also tipped the Galaxy Note 8 will have a new Snapdragon 836 chipset in the US. Qualcomm has said they would upgrade their X16 modem to support 600 Mhz. Qualcomm spent a lot of money to upgrade the X16 modem for the Snapdragon 835/836 and they will want to make some money for that. In Q1-2018 the Snapdragon 845 with the new X20 modem is expected to be out for the 2018 Flagships phones.

Samsung has committed to produce a phone that supports 600 Mhz by the Holiday shopping period that would require a Snapdragon 835/836 SoC to support the X16 modem upgrade. If the Note 8 doesn't have the 600 Mhz then Samsung will need to come out with another high end phone with that would compete with the S8 & Note 8 and lower sales of both of their current flagship phones.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 08-09-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Very happy the way the projected coverage looks. T-Mobile is not messing around.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile will have to quickly introduce less-than-flagship options for band-71 or their 600 MHZ coverage will be pointless.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I keep praying that I'll wake up to news that Neville and team convinced Apple to include it in their new iPhone lineup. *Special T-Mobile only version*

Feedback Score
    For Iphone X it might be possible as rumors point it to holiday 2017 release. By that time the band will be finalized. Possible but unlikely. Unless Tmobile forks over some cash apples way.

Feedback Score
    I remember hearing a similar song and dance about 700. Hopefully they won't botch the 600 deployment like they did with 700.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I keep praying that I'll wake up to news that Neville and team convinced Apple to include it in their new iPhone lineup. *Special T-Mobile only version*
    Respectfully disagree. I'd rather not see Apple go the way of Samsung with hundreds of carriers specific models.

Quote Originally Posted by james4209 View Post
    I remember hearing a similar song and dance about 700. Hopefully they won't botch the 600 deployment like they did with 700.
    FCC says that they won't approve sub-banding 600 MHZ like they did with 700.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Respectfully disagree. I'd rather not see Apple go the way of Samsung with hundreds of carriers specific models.
    That's because Samsung isn't Apple, they usually listen to what the carriers want with their devices.
    The S7 and S8 is one device, divided between Exynos and Sanpdragon SoC and different software for different operator requirements.
    I think before that, Samsung actually made different devices for their various markets.

Feedback Score
    This is pretty amazing if true. Adding 1 million+ sq miles would make them the largest carrier by geographic coverage in the country. Having the most coverage, with the 3rd most subscribers would be amazing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I sure hope so too. It's the only way I'll consider upgrading from my 6s Plus.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    This is pretty amazing if true. Adding 1 million+ sq miles would make them the largest carrier by geographic coverage in the country. Having the most coverage, with the 3rd most subscribers would be amazing.
    It's too good to be true. Not that they aren't trying but I mentioned it in the other thread that it's an absolutely crazy ask for a carrier to actually add that much in, what, less than 4 months in the year and you're dealing with leasing, permitting, zoning, equipment availability (which is still in development/manufacturing), construction costs, and then actual time tables to build things out. It's very true that adding 600Mhz on existing sites will expand a good chunk of their geographical footprint but in they're actually thinking of lumping in new sites being built, which does not happen in 4 months unless you cowboy the crap out of it (borderline illegal almost everywhere), then I just don't see how it's possible. They can make some good headway in a year or two but saying they're going to actually add that much coverage by end of this year is just selling a lie to people who don't know the actual ins and outs of the business. If they come out early 2018 claiming they added that much I wouldn't believe it especially because by all accounts even if they somehow managed to put the equipment on the sites it's still all theoretical coverage until they're actually granted permission to turn on the technology.

I'm really not saying these things to sound like a downer but I do engineering work on many cell sites and I'm well aware of the time table it takes from going from coming out with a design for a site to actually getting on air, even from a simple upgrade standpoint.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    It's too good to be true. Not that they aren't trying but I mentioned it in the other thread that it's an absolutely crazy ask for a carrier to actually add that much in, what, less than 4 months in the year and you're dealing with leasing, permitting, zoning, equipment availability (which is still in development/manufacturing), construction costs, and then actual time tables to build things out. It's very true that adding 600Mhz on existing sites will expand a good chunk of their geographical footprint but in they're actually thinking of lumping in new sites being built, which does not happen in 4 months unless you cowboy the crap out of it (borderline illegal almost everywhere), then I just don't see how it's possible. They can make some good headway in a year or two but saying they're going to actually add that much coverage by end of this year is just selling a lie to people who don't know the actual ins and outs of the business. If they come out early 2018 claiming they added that much I wouldn't believe it especially because by all accounts even if they somehow managed to put the equipment on the sites it's still all theoretical coverage until they're actually granted permission to turn on the technology.

I'm really not saying these things to sound like a downer but I do engineering work on many cell sites and I'm well aware of the time table it takes from going from coming out with a design for a site to actually getting on air, even from a simple upgrade standpoint.
    They have been planning this for years- permits etc were already obtained, towers, equipment ordered; just waiting for the spectrum. WOuld it be possible then ? Apparently management said so in the recent ER.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I haven't read the ER but that's not how this industry works. You can't plan for years for spectrum to may or may not get in the future so no they didn't have everything lined up that far back. I would guess that throughout the auction once the actual boundaries of 600MHz were defined the equipment manufacturers were able to start conceptual equipment designs and as far as I know they're probably just at the manufacturing stage now but that doesn't mean anything unless all of the front end work (leasing, engineering, permitting) is completed. If there was a statement about getting permits awhile back that's either highly unusual or just patently false because part of my job is to help obtain permits and the process for future equipment doesn't usually work like that. I'm guessing they may mean they're planning on swapping out the B12 antennas with a combined antenna under some sort of maintenance but who knows.

Bottom line is that from someone that is in the trenches any stuff you may see like that from T-Mobile with regards to how fast they're actually deploying equipment is just blowing smoke up peoples asses because they're claiming to do things faster than the process in place actually allows. It makes for good ER and PR fodder but it's not really rooted in reality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast