Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: T-Mobile to Add 1+ million square miles of coverage by EOY 2017

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    283
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I haven't read the ER but that's not how this industry works. You can't plan for years for spectrum to may or may not get in the future so no they didn't have everything lined up that far back. I would guess that throughout the auction once the actual boundaries of 600MHz were defined the equipment manufacturers were able to start conceptual equipment designs and as far as I know they're probably just at the manufacturing stage now but that doesn't mean anything unless all of the front end work (leasing, engineering, permitting) is completed. If there was a statement about getting permits awhile back that's either highly unusual or just patently false because part of my job is to help obtain permits and the process for future equipment doesn't usually work like that. I'm guessing they may mean they're planning on swapping out the B12 antennas with a combined antenna under some sort of maintenance but who knows.

    Bottom line is that from someone that is in the trenches any stuff you may see like that from T-Mobile with regards to how fast they're actually deploying equipment is just blowing smoke up peoples asses because they're claiming to do things faster than the process in place actually allows. It makes for good ER and PR fodder but it's not really rooted in reality.
    Your post is incorrect on quite a few levels.
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    217
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caddypower View Post
    Your post is incorrect on quite a few levels.
    Don't feel bad. These boards have turned into pro-Verizon anti-T-Mobile and some try to present opinions as facts. That's why a lot of good people left and stopped posting here.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,020
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caddypower View Post
    Your post is incorrect on quite a few levels.
    As someone whose job it is to work with carriers, T-Mobile included, on designing sites and upgrades I respectfully disagree. I work with multiple vendors in several markets and while I would agree that I don't know the procedure in all markets I'm fairly confident on how the front end generally works on these types of upgrades.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,494
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    This is pretty amazing if true. Adding 1 million+ sq miles would make them the largest carrier by geographic coverage in the country. Having the most coverage, with the 3rd most subscribers would be amazing.
    I have not seen that T-Mobile stated they would add 1 million square miles of coverage by the end of the year.

    They issued a press release that said the following:

    "T-Mobile has been working closely with the FCC and broadcasters and expects more than 1 million square miles of 600 MHz spectrum the Un-carrier owns to be clear and ready for deployment by year end."

    https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...his-summer.htm

    Clear and ready does mean deployed. Also nowhere does it say that all 1 million that will supposedly be ready be located exclusively out of T-Mobile's current coverage.

    Then if you look at the FCC filing that FierceWireless based its article on, it shows a coverage map, but I don't see an estimated increase of square miles in that filing.

    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1080512...17%20FINAL.pdf

    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I'm really not saying these things to sound like a downer but I do engineering work on many cell sites and I'm well aware of the time table it takes from going from coming out with a design for a site to actually getting on air, even from a simple upgrade standpoint.
    Thank you for adding your knowledge of the industry to this thread.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    174
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I haven't read the ER but that's not how this industry works. You can't plan for years for spectrum to may or may not get in the future so no they didn't have everything lined up that far back. I would guess that throughout the auction once the actual boundaries of 600MHz were defined the equipment manufacturers were able to start conceptual equipment designs and as far as I know they're probably just at the manufacturing stage now but that doesn't mean anything unless all of the front end work (leasing, engineering, permitting) is completed. If there was a statement about getting permits awhile back that's either highly unusual or just patently false because part of my job is to help obtain permits and the process for future equipment doesn't usually work like that. I'm guessing they may mean they're planning on swapping out the B12 antennas with a combined antenna under some sort of maintenance but who knows.

    Bottom line is that from someone that is in the trenches any stuff you may see like that from T-Mobile with regards to how fast they're actually deploying equipment is just blowing smoke up peoples asses because they're claiming to do things faster than the process in place actually allows. It makes for good ER and PR fodder but it's not really rooted in reality.
    I understood (from statements made by management since 2014) that they were planning this expansion for years with just the available spectrum. I think that they were gonna expand the footprint regardless of the progress of broadcast spectrum auction.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    202
    Device(s)
    Acer Liquid Z220 duo sim card
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Speakout
    Feedback Score
    0
    Their expansion means nothing when they take away. For North Central Washington state they had no presence but had roaming on ATT with my prepaid. Now they have nothing here. As a CDN who spent some money with Tmobile I am disappointed. I will use the time up in CA this year but I used to enjoy using TM in WA also.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,453
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dennism3 View Post
    Their expansion means nothing when they take away. For North Central Washington state they had no presence but had roaming on ATT with my prepaid. Now they have nothing here. As a CDN who spent some money with Tmobile I am disappointed. I will use the time up in CA this year but I used to enjoy using TM in WA also.
    How does removing roaming change their native network? Roaming agreements frequently change and shouldn't be counted on as native coverage can be.

    I mean ATT removed 2G and that removed areas to roam on - should you chastise T-Mobile for that too?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,974
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I have not seen that T-Mobile stated they would add 1 million square miles of coverage by the end of the year.

    They issued a press release that said the following:

    "T-Mobile has been working closely with the FCC and broadcasters and expects more than 1 million square miles of 600 MHz spectrum the Un-carrier owns to be clear and ready for deployment by year end."

    https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...his-summer.htm

    Clear and ready does mean deployed. Also nowhere does it say that all 1 million that will supposedly be ready be located exclusively out of T-Mobile's current coverage.

    Then if you look at the FCC filing that FierceWireless based its article on, it shows a coverage map, but I don't see an estimated increase of square miles in that filing.

    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1080512...17%20FINAL.pdf



    Thank you for adding your knowledge of the industry to this thread.
    Yeah, I saw that a few days after my post. The title "T-mobile to add 1 million+ sq miles of coverage" was click bait.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    It's too good to be true. Not that they aren't trying but I mentioned it in the other thread that it's an absolutely crazy ask for a carrier to actually add that much in, what, less than 4 months in the year ..... I just don't see how it's possible.

    This is why I am assuming this is going to be 700 mhz with 600 mhz not making a significant impact until the end of next year with the Phase 1 buildout.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is the coverage map that interested me and that seems to indicate expected deployment by year end. I would not think much if any of this is 600 mhz.

    I am unable to post a link yet, but BGR has a story with map (2/15/2017 by Chris Mills) "T-Mobile’s coverage is getting way better in 2017".

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,758
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    This is pretty amazing if true. Adding 1 million+ sq miles would make them the largest carrier by geographic coverage in the country. Having the most coverage, with the 3rd most subscribers would be amazing.

    Yes, and that is the path to them having the most customers and profits. Covering Americans where they love, work and play is key.

    Their current expansiin is driven by covering more of where Americans need to use their phones.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    237
    Feedback Score
    0
    Any updates ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
  2. Who would like T-Mobile to add On-Hold Music
    By mckrusher in forum Tmo Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 12:39 AM
  3. T-Mobile To Add 850 Roaming
    By ChrisBWJ in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 09:31 PM
  4. Replies: 110
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 03:58 PM
  5. Bell Mobility To Add Walkie-Talkie Feature To Phones
    By WirelessToronto in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 07:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks