Thread: Can I switch new Verizon prepaid phone to Tracfone ?

Feedback Score

Can I switch new Verizon prepaid phone to Tracfone ?

Just bought a new verizon prepaid phone, thinking to replace my current phone on Tracfone. I looked up online, it said Verizon had changed policy to prevent its prepaid phone to be used on its MNVO immediately.

There seems two solutions, I don't know which one is right, how to operate exactly.

1, activate prepaid for one month, pay one month fee, then, the phone will be released, then you can swap phone through tracfone.

2, it seem you may buy a "unlock code" from ebay, then the phone will be ready for Tracfone.

Anyone has experience for this, please share yours.

Thank you !!

Feedback Score
    Yes, there are existing threads discussing this subject - you should be able to search them out.

Feedback Score
    Look for the Moto G4 thread in this section.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjbwj8 View Post
    Just bought a new verizon prepaid phone, thinking to replace my current phone on Tracfone. I looked up online, it said Verizon had changed policy to prevent its prepaid phone to be used on its MNVO immediately.

There seems two solutions, I don't know which one is right, how to operate exactly.

1, activate prepaid for one month, pay one month fee, then, the phone will be released, then you can swap phone through tracfone.

2, it seem you may buy a "unlock code" from ebay, then the phone will be ready for Tracfone.

Anyone has experience for this, please share yours.

Thank you !!
    Verizon changed the length of time their prepaid phones had to be on prepaid service about a year ago. It's not one month anymore. IIRC, it is a year. It may say on the box.

Some people have been getting away with activating Tracfone on an eligible Verizon phone then moving the SIM to a Vz prepaid phone. The GSM capability of the prepaid phone won't be unlocked if that is important to you.

Unlocks from eBay, etc? I don't know.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Yes, cheaper unlocks from eBay works and discussed in Moto G4 thread.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Also look in General PrePaid Discussion sub forum of US prepaid for Moto E4 thread.

1. No one knows if one month is still the ransom for getting a VZ prepaid whitelisted. Box says 12 months or $75 in payments although 1 month on VZ PP has worked in the past even though the box said the previous.
    2. Unlock code will only allow you to put an active TF VZ SIM in the phone. And even this is said to no longer work.
    Last edited by mathfaster; 08-09-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thank you to all, will check up this forum, what I got is Moto E4

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ...Some people have been getting away with activating Tracfone on an eligible Verizon phone then moving the SIM to a Vz prepaid phone. The GSM capability of the prepaid phone won't be unlocked if that is important to you.
    When VZ clamped down in 1/16 even an active SIM from TF/VZ wouldn't work in the VZ G4 Play w/o getting a code to unlock the SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    When VZ clamped down in 1/16 even an active SIM from TF/VZ wouldn't work in the VZ G4 Play w/o getting a code to unlock the SIM.
    So, you mean: in order to get VZ prepaid phone to work on its MVNO, currently people need to do both, 1, unlock phone; 2, also pay the so called ransom ?

Thanks !

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjbwj8 View Post
    So, you mean: in order to get VZ prepaid phone to work on its MVNO, currently people need to do both, 1, unlock phone; 2, also pay the so called ransom ?

Thanks !
    Maybe. A few of us on HF/TF have questioned if an active TF/VZ SIM will no longer work on an unlocked VZ prepaid phone without having paid the ransom on VZ PP first. One person in the SD Moto E4 who seemed knowledgeable said that inserting an active TF/VZ SIM into an unlocked VZ prepaid phone no longer works unless the ransom has been paid first. It will stop working IIRC. You can confirm that for us as that's the way it seems your headed