Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone upgrade options

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

iPhone upgrade options

Here is my situation. I have 4 lines with AT&T. I usually upgrade when the new iPhone is released and pass my device down to one of my family members. My line is currently on the AT&T NEXT plan (upgraded to iPhone 7 last September). The other 3 lines are all upgrade eligible. This is my first time with the NEXT plan, so please bear with me. What is the best/smoothest option to set myself up for the next iPhone? Payoff device before the new iPhone is released so my line is upgrade eligible? I prefer to upgrade via the Apple app, not through AT&T. I did a "dummy" iPhone 7 upgrade on the Apple app and the only option is contract free pricing. How long does it take for Apple's system to pick up that device was paid in full at AT&T?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Att next "upgrades" are not real "upgrades" cause you are essentially paying full price for the iPhone. If you pay it off "early" on att next u can always be eligible for another "upgrade"

Now what do you actually want to with ur old iPhones? If you intent is to trade it in with att next. Essentially you would need to pay off at least the equivalent of 60-70% of the msrp to trade it in. Don't get confused with 18 months, 24 or 30 months att "next". You are still paying full price for the phone but att tries to make the phones cheaper by spreading the payments.

The real key to att next is att calculates how much the phone needs to be paid off to trade it in. Which is normally the equivalent of 60-70% regardless of how many months you finance it.

Now. There are always promo running all the time on att next.

For the past 2 years. Att and other carriers have had $650 trade in promo ($650/24 monthly credits) totally $650. If u trade in a 2 year or NEWER iPhone. So for 2016. Att was giving $650 credit if u traded in an iPhone 6 or newer. They essentially "lock" you in a 2 year contract because you won't fully realize the $650 trade in credit until 24 months is up since it's a monthly credit.

Now if you want to keep your iPhone and sell it off or whatever. I would wait to November cause they ALWAYS have $200-300 Best Buy target sam clubs Costco gift cards with att next promo for iPhones during those holiday events.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow, tons of great info. Thanks for sharing. I know there more than meets the eye with the NEXT installment plan. I pass my old phone down to my wife, then she passes hers down to the kids. We all get good use out of them (I have a 7, wife 6, son 5S and daughter 5). That being said, I was thinking of paying off my iPhone 7 in full just before the release of the new iPhone. How long does it take for Apple’s system to pick up that the device was paid in full at AT&T? I want to make sure my upgrade runs smoothly on my line when doing it via Apple’s app on launch day.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    Wow, tons of great info. Thanks for sharing. I know there more than meets the eye with the NEXT installment plan. I pass my old phone down to my wife, then she passes hers down to the kids. We all get good use out of them (I have a 7, wife 6, son 5S and daughter 5). That being said, I was thinking of paying off my iPhone 7 in full just before the release of the new iPhone. How long does it take for Apple’s system to pick up that the device was paid in full at AT&T? I want to make sure my upgrade runs smoothly on my line when doing it via Apple’s app on launch day.
    Usually within 24 hours. I just paid off my lg g5 att next (I got it during a great Best Buy sale $5/month x 24 months equals $120 total in march 2017.

I paid it off early last month and was eligible for another att next within 24 hours.

Honestly. This is how u gotta play the att next installment games.

The best time to get new iPhones is to trade in ur 2 year old iPhone September for the $650 credit. However I don't see u have a 6S to trade in. And certainly I wouldn't trade in an iPhone 7 since the $650 credit applies to iPhone 7/iPhone 6s regardless of size. So u want to trade in the oldest iPhone (2 years or newer)

Here is last year $650 promo

http://about.att.com/newsroom/iphone_7_pricing.html

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Usually within 24 hours. I just paid off my lg g5 att next (I got it during a great Best Buy sale $5/month x 24 months equals $120 total in march 2017.

I paid it off early last month and was eligible for another att next within 24 hours.

Honestly. This is how u gotta play the att next installment games.

The best time to get new iPhones is to trade in ur 2 year old iPhone September for the $650 credit. However I don't see u have a 6S to trade in. And certainly I wouldn't trade in an iPhone 7 since the $650 credit applies to iPhone 7/iPhone 6s regardless of size. So u want to trade in the oldest iPhone (2 years or newer)

Here is last year $650 promo

http://about.att.com/newsroom/iphone_7_pricing.html
    Thanks again! I'm looking at getting the new iPhone when its released in the fall. I have the 7, wife 5S, son 6, daughter 5, so the trade-in deal won't work. That's ok. My wife will get my 7.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    In that case all you need to do is upgrade one of your other lines and place your sim in that line and your wife's sim in the 7. There would be no incentive / need to pay off your 7 earlier. You may want to wait until after the initial wave and do the gift card deals mentioned above.

Feedback Score
    You can upgrade with any of the eligible lines and have the new iPhone assigned to a different line on the same plan. I added a 7th line with a promotion and assigned the new iPhone 7 to a different line. The 7th line is using an iPhone 5S. You could have avoided the upfront payoff.

With the different iPhone promotions we are receiving credit for 4 phones. Waiting for an iPhone 7S promotion. Some promotions include gift cards up to $250 with no activation fee.(recent Sam's Club promotion)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
    In that case all you need to do is upgrade one of your other lines and place your sim in that line and your wife's sim in the 7. There would be no incentive / need to pay off your 7 earlier. You may want to wait until after the initial wave and do the gift card deals mentioned above.
    Yeah. I may wait till November to get an iPhone (2017 edition) with the usual Costco target gift card deals for the holidays.

The goal (for me) is to never pay "full price/full installment pricing). Look at the galaxy s8/plus. It's heavily discounted after 2-3 months. Sam's club had $350 gift card promo this past weekend.

iPhone 7 gift card was $200 this weekend.

These gift card deals are a dime a dozen. So no sense in rushing out and paying full installment pricing as long as u are willing to wait 2-3 months.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
    Yes, that’s definitely an option, but not sure I want 2 NEXT installment plans at once. Well, I guess it’s either pay now or pay later. It's nice to know I have options.

Nah, I like to order my phones in launch day.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that’s definitely an option, but not sure I want 2 NEXT installment plans at once. Well, I guess it’s either pay now or pay later. It's nice to know I have options.

I like your mindset. These device payment plans (att next) were ingenious ideas by the carriers as a defacto way of locking people into (financial contracts).

There was a previous poster who was trying to switch back to att from Verizon but had like 3 iPhone device payment plans and that's like $2000 worth of iPhones to pay for. Many people don't have that type of cash sitting around to pay off.

So u are correct. Even having 2 iPhone att next payments added to your bill. That's like $75-85 extra a month for 2 phones on device payment plan. It can become costly.

Feedback Score

The cost is the same if you have 1 or 2 installment payments. There is no incentive to pay off early. The prepaid fanboys ignore the upfront cost of the phone to say they are saving more by ignoring the phone cost. People are buying an iPhone 7 to use on Tracfone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    The cost is the same if you have 1 or 2 installment payments. There is no incentive to pay off early. The prepaid fanboys ignore the upfront cost of the phone to say they are saving more by ignoring the phone cost. People are buying an iPhone 7 to use on Tracfone.
    Good point. I'll probably do the NEXT upgrade on another line and swap sims.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Follow-up question…is there a way to upgrade another line on my plan using my apple ID on the Apple Store app? I’m not able to edit the Wireless Number on the Carrier Account screen in the app (it’s shaded out, but Billing Zip Code and Last 4 of SS# are editable). I can edit the wireless number in safari, which is a workaround, but I prefer to use the app.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Att next "upgrades" are not real "upgrades" cause you are essentially paying full price for the iPhone. If you pay it off "early" on att next u can always be eligible for another "upgrade"

Now what do you actually want to with ur old iPhones? If you intent is to trade it in with att next. Essentially you would need to pay off at least the equivalent of 60-70% of the msrp to trade it in. Don't get confused with 18 months, 24 or 30 months att "next". You are still paying full price for the phone but att tries to make the phones cheaper by spreading the payments.

The real key to att next is att calculates how much the phone needs to be paid off to trade it in. Which is normally the equivalent of 60-70% regardless of how many months you finance it.

Now. There are always promo running all the time on att next.

For the past 2 years. Att and other carriers have had $650 trade in promo ($650/24 monthly credits) totally $650. If u trade in a 2 year or NEWER iPhone. So for 2016. Att was giving $650 credit if u traded in an iPhone 6 or newer. They essentially "lock" you in a 2 year contract because you won't fully realize the $650 trade in credit until 24 months is up since it's a monthly credit.

Now if you want to keep your iPhone and sell it off or whatever. I would wait to November cause they ALWAYS have $200-300 Best Buy target sam clubs Costco gift cards with att next promo for iPhones during those holiday events.
    You are not paying full price for the telephone unless you do not trade it in. If you have the Next 18 plan, for example, you are required to make eighteen payments before you can trade it in. You pay for the eighteen months, either over the time period or in a lump sum balance of the eighteen payments; you can then trade the telephone in without paying the remainder of the retail price. The remaining balance of the full retail price is waived. The Next 18 is based upon a thirty month payment period. If you are planning to trade in the telephone, there is no financial advantage to making more than the eighteen payments. Only the remaining balance is waived. So if you made twenty payments instead of eighteen, only the final ten months of the retail balance are waived.

With the AT&T Next plan, you make your payments to AT&T. With the Apple plan, you make your payments to a thirty party bank using one of your own credit cards. Although the bank Apple uses charges no interest, you may incur interest charges from your own credit card issuer depending upon your outstanding balance. Debit cards are not accepted.
    Last edited by efparri; 08-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can we change the shipping address if we order via Apple app or website? I seem recall this last year for the iPhone 7 preorder:

I could change the shipping address on my Apple account settings before the preordering went live, but it defaulted back to the billing address during the preorder process (and the shipping address fields were grayed and blocked out?). Maybe this is an carrier policy? Quite possibly for security?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast