Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anecdotal coverage story - Boston to Pittsburgh (by plane)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Anecdotal coverage story - Boston to Pittsburgh (by plane)

Central parking at Logan Airport in Boston is an open air, above ground garage, meaning that it's cold in there in the winter because there are no walls shielding you from the outside.

T-Mobile didn't work in there on the first level.

Leaving central parking and heading over to Terminal C where JetBlue is, it finally started to work with a 3G signal on the way over on the outside glass walkway.

Worked great inside Terminal C.

Got to Pittsburgh, and it was terrible in that airport. I saw plenty of people on their phones, but I would have had to position myself in a particular location to make a call. That's pathetic in a major cities' airport. It wouldn't work on the train they have to the main building either. I was finally able to use the phone when I went outside to cross the street to the rental car garage. This garage is also an open air, above ground garage. T-Mobile didn't work in there either.

Got to my hotel, and while I had service in my room, there was no service in the elevator. This is a band 12 area, and when I opened CellMapper, I could see that AT&T had a decent enough signal there. The hotel was in Monaca PA, a suburb of Pittsburgh.

When I was at my destination for work, there was no service at all. I had hoped that in the past few years that T-Mobile would have expanded service to that area. That area, in a half mile stretch of road, has approximately 2000 people working there. I had my phone search for networks, and sure enough AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint all have service there. A colleague was on Sprint and has no problems anywhere around there.

Back at the airport in Pittsburgh, in Terminal D at Fridays, I had 1 bar. At the TSA line, my phone went to Edge.

On JetBlue heading back, on airplane mode but with WiFi turned on to access their complimentary WiFi, when I was in the air, my phone rang. I picked it up and said that I don't think I'm supposed to be on the phone. So for anyone who is wondering, text messages and the phone work on T-Mobile wifi calling on JetBlue flights.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    .....On JetBlue heading back, on airplane mode but with WiFi turned on to access their complimentary WiFi, when I was in the air, my phone rang. I picked it up and said that I don't think I'm supposed to be on the phone. So for anyone who is wondering, text messages and the phone work on T-Mobile wifi calling on JetBlue flights.
    It would be OK if you put the phone in Airplane Mode then turn the WiFi back on.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It would be OK if you put the phone in Airplane Mode then turn the WiFi back on.
    That's what I did. But you're not supposed to talk on the phone regardless. Otherwise you'd be able to leave cell service on. I'm going to guess the same applies to Skype etc. The only reason you have to turn cellular off is that they've decided it would be annoying to passengers to be listening to people on the phone, and that they'd be ignoring flight attendant safety instructions etc.

Unless of course, 10 years ago when they had the credit card swipe phones on the seats. Then it was okay to be annoying since they were charging a fortune for those calls.

Feedback Score
    That's just pathetic. It sounds like the coverage around my area - blazing fast speeds in a few areas, then a hundred yards away nothing. And I'm not even in a metro area like your trip.

T-Mo. Long way to go.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Which phone were you using?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    Which phone were you using?
    Which one of us?

I was using a phoenix2. It has the t-mo bands.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Abilene Texas is terrible too. Only 5 towers in a city the size of 120k and rapidly growing. Coverage here is Swiss cheese. Great in some areas, no service in others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blaineh View Post
    Abilene Texas is terrible too. Only 5 towers in a city the size of 120k and rapidly growing. Coverage here is Swiss cheese. Great in some areas, no service in others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wonder what the plan is to add more Band 12 towers while the 600 mhz rollout is going on?

I can think of some areas that would be greatly improved by just one or two towers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I wonder what the plan is to add more Band 12 towers while the 600 mhz rollout is going on?

I can think of some areas that would be greatly improved by just one or two towers.
    Or they could add more band 12 to existing towers. The single antenna to cover 120 degrees just seems like it's not enough. Just look at what Verizon does and copy that.

Feedback Score
    I don't want to see T-Mobile copy anything that Verizon does. On my trips to the mainland, I've seen towers that T-Mobile obviously wasn't located on, but even with fewer towers it seemed to work fine for me. I've kind of thought that in some rural areas, T-Mo likes to space their towers out a bit further apart. If there's still signal and it helps keep the prices down, I'm all for it. Obviously, it sounds like they need some work in the locations described in this thread. I haven't yet run into any places like that. I've found T-Mobile to work fine in all the airports I've traveled through; SFO, OAK, SJX, LAX, HNL, O'Hare, Phoenix, Denver etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I don't want to see T-Mobile copy anything that Verizon does. On my trips to the mainland, I've seen towers that T-Mobile obviously wasn't located on, but even with fewer towers it seemed to work fine for me. I've kind of thought that in some rural areas, T-Mo likes to space their towers out a bit further apart. If there's still signal and it helps keep the prices down, I'm all for it. Obviously, it sounds like they need some work in the locations described in this thread. I haven't yet run into any places like that. I've found T-Mobile to work fine in all the airports I've traveled through; SFO, OAK, SJX, LAX, HNL, O'Hare, Phoenix, Denver etc.
    Yes, we all know that T-Mobile works great no matter where you go. Towers spaced far apart? No problem for you. Please.
    Why don't you come to my area and tell me how great T-Mobile is. No service in my grocery store that's less than half a mile from a tower (almost line of site). WAY too many areas where I am lucky to get 1 bar of signal. Sure there are ISLANDS of great signal I can go to and run speed tests and say wow look how great T-Mobile is. Overall they have a long way to go except for their marketing dept. They have some real geniuses there.
    I ran a speed test at home this morning and got 0Mb/s. Yes 0. Great job T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I don't want to see T-Mobile copy anything that Verizon does.
    They should definitely copy Verizon with regard to situating their band 12 antennas. Verizon seems to have blanketed coverage with relatively few gaps.

As for spacing antennas to keep prices down. We're already paying as much or more than Verizon customers who switch to their newest plans.

Feedback Score
    Tmobile is good but... they have a big disaster at Logan airport i was trying for 2 years opening ticket after two days they closed .. the technician no found any issues jajaja thats so stupid... i get so mad and angry ... i switched to verizon .. verizon works 100 % at the Logan airport the have 3 towers 1 at terminal B, another one at big parking lot and last one between the hotels... tmobile needs spent money at Logan sport .. the services is garbage on this area...sprint verizon and At&t works fine at logan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Yes, we all know that T-Mobile works great no matter where you go. Towers spaced far apart? No problem for you. Please.
    Why don't you come to my area and tell me how great T-Mobile is. No service in my grocery store that's less than half a mile from a tower (almost line of site). WAY too many areas where I am lucky to get 1 bar of signal. Sure there are ISLANDS of great signal I can go to and run speed tests and say wow look how great T-Mobile is. Overall they have a long way to go except for their marketing dept. They have some real geniuses there.
    I ran a speed test at home this morning and got 0Mb/s. Yes 0. Great job T-Mobile.
    Which state are you in
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fcg28 View Post
    Tmobile is good but... they have a big disaster at Logan airport i was trying for 2 years opening ticket after two days they closed .. the technician no found any issues jajaja thats so stupid... i get so mad and angry ... i switched to verizon .. verizon works 100 % at the Logan airport the have 3 towers 1 at terminal B, another one at big parking lot and last one between the hotels... tmobile needs spent money at Logan sport .. the services is garbage on this area...sprint verizon and At&t works fine at logan
    I live in a mid sized city in MA. It's called Lowell. It has a huge university and you would think T-Mobile would have good density for the thousands of students that come here, besides all the teachers and staff. No, the coverage and speeds are just awful almost everywhere you go around here, especially when school and university is back in session.
    I don't know what T-Mobile has against the state of MA, but they really need to make some major improvements not just at Logan airport but in much of the state.
    As HokieAl stated above, T-Mobile has some real issues with their band 12 coverage. It doesn't travel anywhere as far as AT&T and Verizon's low band signal.
    As you can see I'm ranting today because I pay T-Mobile the same money as Verizon and Verizon just blows T-Mobile away everywhere in this area. I got a ZERO Mb/s speedtest this morning and university is not even open yet. I'm done with T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast