Thread: Verizon DuraXV - will it work in Europe with a European sim card?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon DuraXV - will it work in Europe with a European sim card?

Folks,

I posted this over in the Verizon Feature Phone forum, but there hasn't been anything new in that forum in awhile. I'm posting here since there is a larger response to phones and which networks they work with:

I've got a question: Will the Kyocera DuraXV (Verizon) work in Europe with a prepaid sim card? The DuraXV has a sim card slot and the specs show that it supports GSM 850 900 1800 1900. Has anyone tried or used a DuraXV in Europe with a local sim card? If so, did it work. I'm not looking for data, only the ability to make calls. Thanks.

Eric

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the phone is unlocked (try a tmobile sim in it), and your overseas provider supports those frequencies then yes.

Is this phone sold through vzw prepaid or vzw postpaid? The latter is usually unlocked.

Verizon's own page - https://www.verizonwireless.com/basi...a-duraxv-plus/ - under specs shows it to be compatible as a world phone.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    GPz1100,

I don't currently have a DuraXV but will buy one if a European sim card works in it (not just the Verizon sim card on a Verizon international plan). That's why I'm asking if anyone has tried the DuraXV overseas. What you post from Verizon's website leads me to believe that it will work with a European sim card. It's also nice when someone has actually tried it and can post with a definitive answer of "yes it works" or "no it doesn't". It is sold through Verizon postpaid, so yes, it would be unlocked.

They are running about $30 on eBay, so I may just buy one to test out when I'm overseas next month.

Eric

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This post suggests it's a locked device (figures, vzw!@#)..

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/903220

I just realized, the forced unlocking is on vzw lte devices. Given this is only a 3g/gsm phone this would not apply.

You may just consider looking for a gsm flip device with the proper frequency support. Should be easier to unlock if it isn't already.

Another option may be just a gsm phone that's unlocked (samsung t259 comes to mind as it supports the above freq's).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    GPz1100,

Thanks for the additional link for Verizon support forums. I read through several other similar posts and it looks like the sim slot is locked to Verizon. Yes you can use the phone internationally with a Verizon sim card and a Verizon international plan. It looks like it is NOT possible to use a foreign sim card with DuraXV. Too bad, it looks like an nice, durable flip phone.

I have several other unlocked phones I can use overseas. I was looking for a decent quality flip phone. I've got a Samsung T259. I'll have to double check the frequencies and see if it will work in Europe.

Eric

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    GPz1100,

Thanks for the additional link for Verizon support forums. I read through several other similar posts and it looks like the sim slot is locked to Verizon. Yes you can use the phone internationally with a Verizon sim card and a Verizon international plan. It looks like it is NOT possible to use a foreign sim card with DuraXV. Too bad, it looks like an nice, durable flip phone.

I have several other unlocked phones I can use overseas. I was looking for a decent quality flip phone. I've got a Samsung T259. I'll have to double check the frequencies and see if it will work in Europe.

Eric
    See https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/903220 , which leads to http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy . Maybe that will help? It seems to me that it is saying that it can be easily unlocked.

•We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our non-iPhone 3G World Devices. The simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.” If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (800)922-0204, for assistance.
    •The SIM cards used in our non-iPhone 3G World Devices are locked. We willl unlock those SIM cards at your request.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Boz1,

Thanks, I saw both of those posts. Here's what is listed for the second link:

We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our non-iPhone 3G World Devices. The simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.” If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (800)922-0204, for assistance.

I'm not sure I understand the above paragraph? The DuraXV would be a "non-iPhone 3G World Device", so it would be locked. The next sentence says that "000000" or "123456" is used to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier(?). Does that mean I could put in a foreign sim card and enter "000000" or "123456" for the sim unlock code?

Eric

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Boz1,

Thanks, I saw both of those posts. Here's what is listed for the second link:

We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our non-iPhone 3G World Devices. The simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.” If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (800)922-0204, for assistance.

I'm not sure I understand the above paragraph? The DuraXV would be a "non-iPhone 3G World Device", so it would be locked. The next sentence says that "000000" or "123456" is used to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier(?). Does that mean I could put in a foreign sim card and enter "000000" or "123456" for the sim unlock code?

Eric
    It seems like that's what it's saying. But if it were me, I'd go to a Vzw corporate store with those links and I would ask for clarification/verification.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Boz1,

Yea, I might stop by the local corporate store this weekend. The only problem with that is some of the people that work there really don't know much about phones. Unlocking a phone, using it overseas, etc. is most likely way over their head. However, that doesn't stop them from saying "yes, that's all you need to do and the phone will work fine....".

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was just searching through Google and found this:

The procedure’s a bit different for postpaid 3G devices on Verizon’s network. Most aren’t locked, but require that you enter a code — either “000000” or “123456” — to enable third-party cellular compatibility. Verizon’s specially branded World Devices, on the other hand, can’t be unlocked without the assistance at the request of a store tech, which you can request by dialing the company’s support line at (800) 922-0204.

Since the DuraXV is a World Device it looks like the "000000" or "123456" won't work. I'm going to call the 800 number and see what I can find out.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    https://www.frequencycheck.com/

This should tell you what it is capable of , in the counties you are going.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    rs899,

Thanks for the link. The DuraXV has the frequencies in Europe for Talk, I just don't know if it will accept a European sim card (that is, sim locked).

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Just an update. I picked up a DuraXV from ebay to test out. It came in the mail today. I put a Freedompop sim card in and got a message that the sim was not supported. When I navigated to the network selection (CDMA, GSM, GLOBAL) I selected GSM and a SIM LOCKED screen popped up asking for a sim unlock code. I tried the '000000' and '123456' from the Verizon website, but those were not the correct code. I called Verizon and the lady I spoke with was able to find/generate the unlock code. It is an 8-digit code. I input the code and the sim slot unlocked and I could select GSM and/or GLOBAL from the network menu.

I'm in a rural area and only have AT&T and Sprint coverage. I believe AT&T turned of 2G, so I won't get a signal from AT&T. I'll take the phone with me when I go in to town where there is Tmobile service and see if I pick up a signal there. I'll probably put one of my Tmobile prepaid sim cards in to test if I get a signal.

Eric
    Last edited by fv22652; Yesterday at 11:50 AM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Just to close things out on testing the DuraXV. I put one of my Tmobile prepaid sim cards and the phone works fine for calling/texting. It is on the 2g network (so it won't work with an AT&T or AT&T mvno). I'll test it out in Germany this Fall, but since it works on Tmobile here, I see no reason why it wouldn't work in Germany.

ERic

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Just to close things out on testing the DuraXV. I put one of my Tmobile prepaid sim cards and the phone works fine for calling/texting. It is on the 2g network (so it won't work with an AT&T or AT&T mvno). I'll test it out in Germany this Fall, but since it works on Tmobile here, I see no reason why it wouldn't work in Germany.

ERic
    Nice! Thanks for the report!