Thread: Spam - spoofing caller ID?

Feedback Score

Spam - spoofing caller ID?

In the last couple months I started to receive spam calls on my family phones that are mimicking our phone numbers, except the last 4 digits.
    Like if the called phone is 757 777 xxxx, the call comes from 757 777 yyyy. That happens on phones with different middle numbers, cell of landline.

Are the spammers now spoofing the caller ID? Or they really have numbers from all exchanges?

I used to report all those to "Do Not Call" registry (all my phones are registered there), but if they are spoofed, I might report random people.

Anyway, is anyone fall for those spammers anymore? When it will be uneconomically feasible for them to do this bull?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, the numbers are spoofed. Nothing you can do about that.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    ...Are the spammers now spoofing the caller ID? Or they really have numbers from all exchanges?

I used to report all those to "Do Not Call" registry (all my phones are registered there), but if they are spoofed, I might report random people.

Anyway, is anyone fall for those spammers anymore? When it will be uneconomically feasible for them to do this bull?
    They have been spoofing Caller ID for years. The scammers keep doing it, so enough must be falling for it to be profitable to the scammers. 0.01% is probably enough. The calls themselves cost the scammers almost nothing.

There are a lot of laws and regulations that apply to telcom carriers. IIRC, one of them is that they MUST attempt to connect all the calls that are presented to them. The connecting carrier also gets a small fee for completing the call. The fee is not much, but adds up with billions of calls. i.e. they have financial incentive to keep doing it.

If the carriers wanted to help block spam/scam calls, they could probably convince congress and/or the FCC to do something. They don't want to. They are making money on one end or the other of the call.