Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Transferred at Costco

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    4,718
    Device(s)
    Apple 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Transferred at Costco

    Today I transferred 6 lines from Verizon to TMobile. (4 SmartPhones and 2 tablets.)

    Got a great deal doing it through Costco. $25 per line SIM charge waived. ($150 saved)

    I would have been happy with that but any hesitation I had in making the switch vanished when I learned that I will also receive $50 in rebates for each line in the form of Costco gift cards. I easily spend more than $300 per month at Costco. This was for BYOD. Except for one of the phones, all devices were purchased from Apple unlocked. (That one phone was purchased full price from Verizon.)

    The rest of the story: I had AT&T for several years before switching to Verizon two months ago. I did the analysis when the need unlimited plans came out a few months ago and finally decided to switch. It was a toss up between TMO and Verizon and I chose unwisely. Verizon just didn't seem to get as good coverage as AT&T and the final straw was when I decided to ask my family members if they had also experienced a decrease in battery life that I experienced on my phone since switching to Verizon. When I found out that both my Brother and my Mom were experiencing the same thing but didn't want to mention it because they thought it was just them, Verizon was as good as gone. (Yesterday, by 2:30 pm, my phone was at 28% - and I had barely used it all day! I charge every night. Before Verizon, seldom was my phone below 50%, even when I used it a lot.). Wish I had gone straight to TMobile to start.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0
    Congrats and welcome to the magenta family. I had Verizon before TMobile as well and I find T-Mobile far superior in terms of coverage and price. It sounds like you got a great deal too!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,473
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    Transferred at Costco

    In many ways, Verizon is the coverage king especially in many rural areas, but, of course, a phone that doesn't work well where you live, work, buy groceries, etc. is just not terribly useful.

    I live in a part of the Seattle metro area where a VZW is not great and T-mobile is quite good. Same data on opensignal. VZW also has significant congestion issues. If I go to more rural areas though, VZW often has an advantage, but I do that only for a week or two a year.

    My real point is that for most of us, specific details of coverage/congestion, etc. are more important than abstract measures of "nationwide" coverage.
    Last edited by mch; 08-13-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    4,718
    Device(s)
    Apple 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Update: I'm going back to Verizon as soon as possible. No coverage at all with TMO at my desk at work. I can work the battery issues by keeping my phone plugged in but can't overcome no coverage.

    I will likely get everything back to Verizon and then port back to AT&T. AT&T may not be the cheapest but it worked well.

    That said, if you plan to switch and have a Costco account, this is still an awesome deal. As long as TMO works for you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0
    Can you use a Cellspot at work? T-Mobile will send you one for free. There are a couple of different versions; they either use wi-fi or you can get one that just boosts the existing signal by placing one unit by a window or other place where signal is better and the other unit near your phone. Before Band 12 was implemented in my area, I had one and they work great. Took 0-1 bars and made it 4 bars.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    782
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
    Update: I'm going back to Verizon as soon as possible. No coverage at all with TMO at my desk at work. I can work the battery issues by keeping my phone plugged in but can't overcome no coverage.

    I will likely get everything back to Verizon and then port back to AT&T. AT&T may not be the cheapest but it worked well.

    That said, if you plan to switch and have a Costco account, this is still an awesome deal. As long as TMO works for you.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I tried T-Mobile again last week and went back to Verizon. Even with band 12 indoor coverage is still a problem with T-Mobile. In the grocery store near my house T-Mobile has "no service" at all when AT&T, Sprint and Verizon do. T-Mobile's band 12 is weak compared to low band on the other carriers.
    At my house I have 1-2 bars of band 12 and service is unusable for data and calls. Sure, I can use a cellspot or wifi calling at home, but there are many other areas where there is still problems. I would love to have T-Mobile because I still think that they are shaking things up in a good way in the cellular industry. I just cant live with the coverage and data issues.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,891
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I tried T-Mobile again last week and went back to Verizon. Even with band 12 indoor coverage is still a problem with T-Mobile. In the grocery store near my house T-Mobile has "no service" at all when AT&T, Sprint and Verizon do. T-Mobile's band 12 is weak compared to low band on the other carriers.
    At my house I have 1-2 bars of band 12 and service is unusable for data and calls. Sure, I can use a cellspot or wifi calling at home, but there are many other areas where there is still problems. I would love to have T-Mobile because I still think that they are shaking things up in a good way in the cellular industry. I just cant live with the coverage and data issues.
    I'm lucky since overall tmobile works well. The times I am rarely in indoor coverage hell (usually grocery stores etc) I have my gophone with me so I'm covered in most spots either way.

    I'm on a four line family plan with T-Mobile now so I'm technically stuck

    The wife has a work phone through Verizon so between the two of us we have 3 carriers so not bad
    Last edited by themanhimself; 08-14-2017 at 07:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    You didn't mention how the other 3 phones were working.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    4,718
    Device(s)
    Apple 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    You didn't mention how the other 3 phones were working.
    Because it's not pertinent. My line is the main line on the account and I pay the full bill. It would not work in the location where I spend most of my waking hours. That fact alone was enough to cause me to ditch TMO. And no, I can't use WiFi or anything else at work since I work for the government and personal devices not allowed on wifi.

    The one other phone line and the iPad which had been activated were okay but also have access to WiFi. The SIMs had not even been put in the other two phones and iPad as they were (still are) in the mail to my brother. It's immaterial since I don't plan to split lines across multiple plans and carriers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0
    You don't have to use wifi. The repeater style Cellspot they have simply boosts the existing cell signal. If you have a signal outside the building it will work great.

    Sounds like you've already made up your mind though. Best of luck with AT&T.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    5,146
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
    Update: I'm going back to Verizon as soon as possible. No coverage at all with TMO at my desk at work. I can work the battery issues by keeping my phone plugged in but can't overcome no coverage.

    I will likely get everything back to Verizon and then port back to AT&T. AT&T may not be the cheapest but it worked well.

    That said, if you plan to switch and have a Costco account, this is still an awesome deal. As long as TMO works for you.
    You are doing things the wrong way: switch to verizon then tmobile only to find they both suck. You should always test one line on prepay for a full month before switching all lines. Yes, I find the sprint deal and tmobile deals tempting, but if the service sucks where I work and play it's not worth it. I've tried all and I know for sure the ATT signal (cricket in my case) is the best for me.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation
    Posts
    9,323
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    You should always test one line on prepay for a full month before switching all lines. Yes, I find the sprint deal and tmobile deals tempting, but if the service sucks where I work and play it's not worth it.
    The only problem with your recommendation is that prepaid most always takes a back seat to postpaid.

    I'm trying out T-Mobile (via Metro PCS) and my data isn't always up to snuff and I'm dropping or not connecting to calls like it's 1999.

    Granted, this is on an Island that only has one tower and it gets pretty congested. The people I know that use T-Mobile postpaid don't seem to have the same issues.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    294
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    You are doing things the wrong way: switch to verizon then tmobile only to find they both suck. You should always test one line on prepay for a full month before switching all lines. Yes, I find the sprint deal and tmobile deals tempting, but if the service sucks where I work and play it's not worth it. I've tried all and I know for sure the ATT signal (cricket in my case) is the best for me.
    Very well said.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,891
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    You are doing things the wrong way: switch to verizon then tmobile only to find they both suck. You should always test one line on prepay for a full month before switching all lines. Yes, I find the sprint deal and tmobile deals tempting, but if the service sucks where I work and play it's not worth it. I've tried all and I know for sure the ATT signal (cricket in my case) is the best for me.
    That's why most of my lines are prepaid. Much easier to test things out and switch when necessary

Similar Threads

  1. 8100 at costco!
    By cd1000 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 07:54 PM
  2. 8100 at costco?
    By gjkiii in forum Sprint
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 07:27 PM
  3. N400 & A500 at costco
    By anz2007 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 04:06 PM
  4. Samsung A500 still $199 at Costco ?
    By WeneedJapPhones in forum Sprint
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-03-2003, 11:56 AM
  5. Sanyos at Costco??
    By karmannghia in forum Sanyo
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2002, 06:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks