Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Legacy Gold renewal with no problems

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    I too have two GR numbers that I just keep adding $10 to, so as not to lose the balance. I think it is great that even these cheap, ancient legacy plans can use VoLTE on TMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    I feel you on that, I have a legacy gold with an $86 balance that I don't ever use. I keep it around as a backup and keep renewing it every year so I don't lose my balance. Might end up selling it.
    I am in the same boat. I have an old legacy gold plan with $127 of credit, good until September x, 2018... and I don't use the phone much. I have posted an ad at HOFO to sell the account at a sizable discount, but no takers.

I just called 611 and they said I have two options. I can transfer the entire balance to another person's PREPAID account, and they would then cancel my account. (Cannot do partial transfers, I was told.) Or, I can change the name and PIN on my account if I were able to sell it.

Anyone else have any other ideas? For a low volume user, having a year of service for only $10 a year is great. And getting free data with the modified Opera app is a big bonus.

Edgar

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConsumer View Post
    ...I just called 611 and they said I have two options. I can transfer the entire balance to another person's PREPAID account, and they would then cancel my account. (Cannot do partial transfers, I was told.) Or, I can change the name and PIN on my account if I were able to sell it.

Anyone else have any other ideas? For a low volume user, having a year of service for only $10 a year is great. And getting free data with the modified Opera app is a big bonus.
    Didn't know you could transfer balances. Thanks. I have 3 Gold accounts and they are backup in case VOIP phone goes down. Where are you getting free data? I've considered changing one of these phones to the $3/month plan and then using up the balance by opting in for extra data when needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Where are you getting free data?
    If you look at the first sticky thread in this section about Captain Smokey (and its 105 pages)... he developed a modified version of the Opera browser that somehow tricks the TMO system into providing free data when that special browser is used. You cannot use an email app or any app... just that browser.

I think the Apple version may no longer work, but if you have Android, you can get the APK and you're in business.

Edgar

Carrier(s)
    ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

I have posted an ad at HOFO to sell the account at a sizable discount, but no takers.
    If the 'sizable discount' isn't between 50 and 75% it is not sizable in the buyers eyes.

It has been years since I have looked at prepaid SIMs with balances, but that kind of discount was
    pretty much the going rate.

If you can transfer the balance you are much better off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    If the 'sizable discount' isn't between 50 and 75% it is not sizable in the buyers eyes.

It has been years since I have looked at prepaid SIMs with balances, but that kind of discount was
    pretty much the going rate.

If you can transfer the balance you are much better off.
    I was offering the $127 balance for $99, which to me was a good discount on what is basically cash.

Transferring the balance was something I didn't know one could do until yesterday... but finding a TMO prepaid customer who wants cash at a discount is harder than it sounds.

Another alternative I thought of was donating the money to charity using one of those shortcodes for hurricane relief, etc.

Edgar

Feedback Score
    I was offering the $127 balance for $99, which to me was a good discount on what is basically cash.

Transferring the balance was something I didn't know one could do until yesterday... but finding a TMO prepaid customer who wants cash at a discount is harder than it sounds.

Another alternative I thought of was donating the money to charity using one of those shortcodes for hurricane relief, etc.

Edgar
    Donation works from the balance.

Also a few years ago a lot of us in the T-Mobile prepaid subforum were buying T-Mobile SIM cards with a balance of $97+ for $27 from an eBay seller that were on the Legacy Gold plan so unless someone really really needs a T-Mobile prepaid SIM on the Legacy Gold plan you're not going to get many people interested at that price.
    Rfranzq is right, unless you are selling at at least a 50% discount.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Device(s)
    Nokia 2610, 6030b, 2118, 2280, 3555b, 6215i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA; AT&T Mobility USA; Vodafone NZ; 2degrees NZ
    Feedback Score
    For the record, I renewed two Gold Rewards SIMs with ~$100 balances last month for 12 months.

Interesting perhaps is that last year I refilled with the usual $10 on both of them about 1 or 2 days after the expiry. I decided to try asking them for a one-time courtesy to restore the balances, which they did. Then, without prompting, they offered to convert both the resulting balances to the 10˘/min rate. Of course I took the representative up on that offer.

I hope they don't force me off, but on the other hand, if I have to, some charities are going to get a whole lot of SMS donations and then I'll port out.

Too bad I don't use either SIM card any more. Spouse decided years ago I needed an iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    ... I think it is great that even these cheap, ancient legacy plans can use VoLTE on TMO.
    WiFi calling, too! Work great on my BlackBerry Q10. Still have $21 on it. Will be $31 this Nov. 7th with $10 refill until next Nov. 7th, 2018, I hope!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2