Thread: How important is amperage with a cellphone charger?

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score

How important is amperage with a cellphone charger?

All of my cell phone charges have 5V output but some have 1A and others have 550 mA output. Does it matter? I have never damaged a cell phone using a charger that is 1A. I'm just wondering why there is a difference and if there is an advantage of one over the other.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    All of my cell phone charges have 5V output but some have 1A and others have 550 mA output. Does it matter? I have never damaged a cell phone using a charger that is 1A. I'm just wondering why there is a difference and if there is an advantage of one over the other.
    Basically, the difference is the maximum current the charger is capable of delivering. The actual current used to charge a phone battery is determined by the charge control circuit in the phone. This is a whole lot more sophisticated than the brute-force trickle charger for your cordless phone.

Does a 500 mA vs 1 A charger matter? If the charge controller determines that the battery can use more than 500 mA during a phase of charging, the 1 A charger will charge the battery faster. Otherwise, not much.

Best to use the type of charger that came with the phone or something equivalent. I probably have a dozen 1 A USB phone chargers that came with various phones and tablets. There are a few scattered around the house, in my car and travel bag. They all work fine.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...e-battery-work