Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 100

Thread: AT&T Unlimited Data Only 29.99 up to 22GB 29.99 plan

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,621
    Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mplayers2005 View Post
    Do I need a new SIM card or something?

    Every time my data connection drops to 4g I get extremely slow data speeds to no data speed. I have 2 -3 bars on 4g but just a horrible connection.
    It sounds like your device is getting kicked to HSPA+ and off of LTE. You may need a new device, you may need an external antenna. A SIM card probably won't solve it. If you have an old SIM, a corporate store should swap it for free... but I doubt it will help.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,743
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    AT&T and Randall opened the door by outright allowing Home Internet devices on Unlimited Plus. So if it's "abuse", it's AT&T asking for it.
    Also true. The carriers have been pretty lax over the years with data pigs. Anyone consuming 22GB/mo on anything in New York City is a data pig, since it has wired infrastructure literally everywhere. I can't blame rural users if they don't have any other options except satellite or <6mbps DSL.

    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    It sounds like your device is getting kicked to HSPA+ and off of LTE. You may need a new device, you may need an external antenna. A SIM card probably won't solve it. If you have an old SIM, a corporate store should swap it for free... but I doubt it will help.
    I did have a bad SIM on a new device that couldn't get on LTE, although in this case, probably not the issue.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,743
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Also, I really want to know why it's $29.99, and not $30, as everything else is even numbers now.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,668
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Also true. The carriers have been pretty lax over the years with data pigs. Anyone consuming 22GB/mo on anything in New York City is a data pig, since it has wired infrastructure literally everywhere. I can't blame rural users if they don't have any other options except satellite or <6mbps DSL.

    .
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504310008.661802.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  24.1 KB
    Oh well guess that makes me a data pig. And yes I personally live in the NYC market, and contrary to what many think in this market I get through that data just fine and hardly notice any slowdowns after the 22gb depriotrization mark.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,743
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BearBert View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504310008.661802.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  24.1 KB
    Oh well guess that makes me a data pig. And yes I personally live in the NYC market, and contrary to what many think in this market I get through that data just fine and hardly notice any slowdowns after the 22gb depriotrization mark.
    I mean I guess you could argue that the 22GB deprioritization basically fixes the problem, but why on earth are you using 114GB/mo through an LTE connection?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    310
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    I mean I guess you could argue that the 22GB deprioritization basically fixes the problem, but why on earth are you using 114GB/mo through an LTE connection?
    I am in NYC myself and consume a lot of data on LTE as well. I use it for everything. Charter was constantly down and I was paying more money for a connection with downtime. I am now getting fast enough speeds from AT&T, mobility and a fully working connection for less money and speeds keep going up as spectrum is refarmed and new spectrum is added along with backhaul and tower additions.

    The franchised cable provider in NYC which is Charter is utter crap and Verizon FIOS is only in a small handful of locations and DSL options are much slower than LTE and more expensive as well and less maintained as being on old copper pairs.

    Wireless is the best solution for many people in NYC and will be even better after 5G milliwave deployments are completed. The ones where wired is better is only where true fiber optics connectivity exists which the vast majority of residential consumers do not have access to it in NYC.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,743
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I am in NYC myself and consume a lot of data on LTE as well. I use it for everything. Charter was constantly down and I was paying more money for a connection with downtime. I am now getting fast enough speeds from AT&T, mobility and a fully working connection for less money and speeds keep going up as spectrum is refarmed and new spectrum is added along with backhaul and tower additions.

    The franchised cable provider in NYC which is Charter is utter crap and Verizon FIOS is only in a small handful of locations and DSL options are much slower than LTE and more expensive as well and less maintained as being on old copper pairs.

    Wireless is the best solution for many people in NYC and will be even better after 5G milliwave deployments are completed. The ones where wired is better is only where true fiber optics connectivity exists which the vast majority of residential consumers do not have access to it in NYC.
    Wireless used at any scale as a home connection in NYC would slow the entire network to a complete crawl. Using LTE as a home connection is a last resort option for those not served by a wireline broadband provider. Considering that NYC has 100% wireline broadband coverage through one or more of Charter, Altice, RCN, and Verizon, it is not an appropriate use of AT&T LTE in NYC, nor is it the best connection available anywhere.

    If you have issues with Charter, then you need to resolve them through the PUC or FCC. FiOS is available in more than half of NYC, although it varies widely by neighborhood. There is also a process to request FiOS be installed in buildings, which is required by their franchise agreement, although Verizon has been dragging their feet for years on it.

    Verizon is committed to 100% FiOS coverage in NYC, how many more years of feet-dragging it takes to get there remains to be seen. However, HFC is far superior to LTE, and if even a small fraction of home users using HFC switched to LTE, it would basically crush the whole LTE network to the point of it being basically unusable. LTE networks simply weren't built to replace people's cable modems.

    Unfortunately, T-Mobile let the cat out of the bag with the Unlimited thing, and Verizon and AT&T didn't hold steady on metering. The LTE networks today would be in much better shape if AT&T and Verizon had stuck to their guns on data buckets, preferably like MSA, which was an Unlimited data plan, with a certain bucket at full speed, and the rest at 128kbps or something, so that people don't receive massive overage bills. That type of limitation protects customers from surprise bills, but also protects the network from overuse and abuse by making people be more conscious of what they are using. Even the old MSV plans were kind of messed up, with the big "step" at the 10GB plan. Now, with data doubling, I have 20GB/mo, and just waste it sometimes, as it is, for all practical purposes, Unlimited.

    I really wish that all the carriers had moved to a system like Google Fi, hopefully with a bit lower per GB rate, maybe in the $3-$5/GB range, as then every MB is effectively metered, incentivizing more careful use of network resources. However, the carriers would hate such a model, as their ARPU would go way down, as people would figure out how to use less data, and use data compression tools and whatnot to avoid paying more than a small minimum amount. Granted, paying per MB, people would be speedtesting far less, but when they did, if all customers were on a pure UBB type plan, the network would be far faster, and we would be seeing far faster speedtests.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,621
    Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    0
    I disagree. AT&T's CEO has disagreed in public comments. AT&T owns the backhaul and is one of the best spectrum positions in the United States.

    AT&T made a calculated decision to be the first LTE provider to welcome WHPI (Home Internet) devices, at the right price. And that right price is Unlimited Plus, or around $129/month if you add in a smartphone as they want you to.

    If AT&T does run into that problem, they can end contracts and implement throttling. But I doubt they will. It's their decision, not ours.

    There are parts of NYC that have poor bandwidth to the tower, and there are parts that have poor cable internet. People will self-select. The invisible hand of the free market finally is working fully with LTE. I expect T-Mobile will be next to do WHPI LTE, they basically do with One+ offering unlimited tethering (which you can then rig into a router).

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,743
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    I disagree. AT&T's CEO has disagreed in public comments. AT&T owns the backhaul and is one of the best spectrum positions in the United States.

    AT&T made a calculated decision to be the first LTE provider to welcome WHPI (Home Internet) devices, at the right price. And that right price is Unlimited Plus, or around $129/month if you add in a smartphone as they want you to.

    If AT&T does run into that problem, they can end contracts and implement throttling. But I doubt they will. It's their decision, not ours.

    There are parts of NYC that have poor bandwidth to the tower, and there are parts that have poor cable internet. People will self-select. The invisible hand of the free market finally is working fully with LTE. I expect T-Mobile will be next to do WHPI LTE, they basically do with One+ offering unlimited tethering (which you can then rig into a router).
    I think most people are sane, and will not try to suck 120GB/mo through LTE. If a significant number of people do, then AT&T will implement more severe throttling or something to deal with the issues. Cable is not location dependent, you either have it or you don't, and all of NYC has either Charter or Altice. Some areas also have RCN and/or Verizon FiOS.

    These solutions are still kludges, and they're great for people without access to a cable/VDSL/fiber connection, but they certainly aren't competition or replacement for a real internet connection.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    310
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Wireless used at any scale as a home connection in NYC would slow the entire network to a complete crawl. Using LTE as a home connection is a last resort option for those not served by a wireline broadband provider. Considering that NYC has 100% wireline broadband coverage through one or more of Charter, Altice, RCN, and Verizon, it is not an appropriate use of AT&T LTE in NYC, nor is it the best connection available anywhere.

    If you have issues with Charter, then you need to resolve them through the PUC or FCC. FiOS is available in more than half of NYC, although it varies widely by neighborhood. There is also a process to request FiOS be installed in buildings, which is required by their franchise agreement, although Verizon has been dragging their feet for years on it.

    Verizon is committed to 100% FiOS coverage in NYC, how many more years of feet-dragging it takes to get there remains to be seen. However, HFC is far superior to LTE, and if even a small fraction of home users using HFC switched to LTE, it would basically crush the whole LTE network to the point of it being basically unusable. LTE networks simply weren't built to replace people's cable modems.

    Unfortunately, T-Mobile let the cat out of the bag with the Unlimited thing, and Verizon and AT&T didn't hold steady on metering. The LTE networks today would be in much better shape if AT&T and Verizon had stuck to their guns on data buckets, preferably like MSA, which was an Unlimited data plan, with a certain bucket at full speed, and the rest at 128kbps or something, so that people don't receive massive overage bills. That type of limitation protects customers from surprise bills, but also protects the network from overuse and abuse by making people be more conscious of what they are using. Even the old MSV plans were kind of messed up, with the big "step" at the 10GB plan. Now, with data doubling, I have 20GB/mo, and just waste it sometimes, as it is, for all practical purposes, Unlimited.

    I really wish that all the carriers had moved to a system like Google Fi, hopefully with a bit lower per GB rate, maybe in the $3-$5/GB range, as then every MB is effectively metered, incentivizing more careful use of network resources. However, the carriers would hate such a model, as their ARPU would go way down, as people would figure out how to use less data, and use data compression tools and whatnot to avoid paying more than a small minimum amount. Granted, paying per MB, people would be speedtesting far less, but when they did, if all customers were on a pure UBB type plan, the network would be far faster, and we would be seeing far faster speedtests.
    I understand fully that multiple pipes exist and if one shut down the other providers it would take away more spectrum. But at the flip side of the coin, the wireless providers especially AT&T are moving into the unlimited data model for full usage of wireless for internet AND television AND phone, hence the AT&T DirecTV acquisition. AT&T has more spectrum to add as well as higher speeds.

    Wireless for me in NYC works much better than wired cablemodem providers and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I can be anywhere in AT&T's extensive domestic footprint and not just in NYC and can supplement with free municipal wifi in NYC when needed like LinkNYC or Google WIFI at Starbucks or AT&T wifi at places like McDonalds or elsewhere. The days of needing cablemodem for a wifi connection are numbered.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,743
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I understand fully that multiple pipes exist and if one shut down the other providers it would take away more spectrum. But at the flip side of the coin, the wireless providers especially AT&T are moving into the unlimited data model for full usage of wireless for internet AND television AND phone, hence the AT&T DirecTV acquisition. AT&T has more spectrum to add as well as higher speeds.

    Wireless for me in NYC works much better than wired cablemodem providers and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I can be anywhere in AT&T's extensive domestic footprint and not just in NYC and can supplement with free municipal wifi in NYC when needed like LinkNYC or Google WIFI at Starbucks or AT&T wifi at places like McDonalds or elsewhere. The days of needing cablemodem for a wifi connection are numbered.
    They are not really trying to move everything through LTE though. What they really wanted with DirecTV was a combination of cross-selling, bundling, taking the IP video load off of individual U-Verse VDSL connections, and scaling up their purchasing power for linear video content.

    Cable is still needed in the home for the heavy lifting, like Netflix, Amazon, software updates, downloads, etc. Maybe a few people with very light usage patterns, a small number of devices, and good signal could rely on LTE only, but that's assuming a lot. Most people will not meet at least one of those criteria.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,621
    Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    These solutions are still kludges, and they're great for people without access to a cable/VDSL/fiber connection, but they certainly aren't competition or replacement for a real internet connection.
    I run my whole office on a Mobley. We have line of sight to a tower that is rarely under congestion... to the point 100 Mbps is a routine occurrence. We use around 400 to 600 GB a month, and pay $20.

    Comcast's lowest price - and the only broadband available to our current office - starts at $99/month before taxes.

    And if AT&T yanked all the Mobley plans, I'd sign up for Unlimited Plus the next day (or most likely, AT&T Prepaid Unlimited for $60/month which includes tethering officially). I'd rather pay AT&T $99 for the first line, and average $27/line over 10 lines, than pay Comcast $99 for one connection that cannot move.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    I think most people are sane, and will not try to suck 120GB/mo through LTE. If a significant number of people do, then AT&T will implement more severe throttling or something to deal with the issues. Cable is not location dependent, you either have it or you don't, and all of NYC has either Charter or Altice. Some areas also have RCN and/or Verizon FiOS.

    These solutions are still kludges, and they're great for people without access to a cable/VDSL/fiber connection, but they certainly aren't competition or replacement for a real internet connection.
    I think this is why att allotted us 22gb and then deprioritize us. It's the best options for the customers and the company. Why do you care if someone sucks 120gb a month, most of their data usage is used when the tower is not busy. so how is the network experience negatively effected? I believe if the data pig is causing an issue then their data will be "deprioritized" accordingly.


    Now if more and more people do what hatoncat is doing and att becomes aware they will find ways to regulate mobley like Verizon is doing to prevent people from cheating the system. The most I see carriers doing is better data analysis on data usage. If your using a mobley then it can only be used in a mobley or red flags will be set off. The new version mobley will scan periodically To confirm it's connected to a car, if it detects its outside a car then it will shut off. Their system will be able to detect your sim and service plan being used in their device and flag improper usage of service.. att rather not do that so chances are they will increase the prices or get rid of iPad plans and/or mobley plans depending on where the fraud is at. there are multiple ways to stop people from abusing the system, but asking me, retiring unlimited data is not foreseeable in The future or at least the near future.
    Last edited by mplayers2005; 09-05-2017 at 06:37 PM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    998
    Feedback Score
    0
    Has anyone seen if the dataconnect plan sim card will give data to a cell phone?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,743
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    I run my whole office on a Mobley. We have line of sight to a tower that is rarely under congestion... to the point 100 Mbps is a routine occurrence. We use around 400 to 600 GB a month, and pay $20.

    Comcast's lowest price - and the only broadband available to our current office - starts at $99/month before taxes.
    I hope you don't do anything very important or have employees depending on things working if you're relying entirely on LTE. It's a great backup connection if you can't get multiple wireline providers in though.

    Quote Originally Posted by mplayers2005 View Post
    I think this is why att allotted us 22gb and then deprioritize us. It's the best options for the customers and the company. Why do you care if someone sucks 120gb a month, most of their data usage is used when the tower is not busy. so how is the network experience negatively effected? I believe if the data pig is causing an issue then their data will be "deprioritized" accordingly.
    Hopefully that type of management works. It just sucks that Unlimited plans are available, or even big data buckets. I wish everything was PPU, that would keep a lid on utilization, but we seem to have long since passed that point.

    Given Unlimited plans, the one tweak they should make is do a rolling 30-day threshold, so that extreme users are always de-prioritized, and don't have 22GB to go slurp at regular priority at the beginning of every billing cycle.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T iPad Unlimited Data Plan $29.99/month for sale
    By lardan in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2016, 07:01 PM
  2. WTB: AT&T iPad unlimited data plan 29.99
    By PHANTOM310 in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2016, 04:02 PM
  3. Wts AT&amp;T unlimited data plan
    By PHANTOM310 in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 08:27 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 04:30 PM
  5. AT&T ipad unlimited data 29.99
    By emscie in forum AT&T
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 02:22 AM

Bookmarks