Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Unlimited Data Only 29.99 up to 22GB 29.99 plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post

Hopefully that type of management works. It just sucks that Unlimited plans are available, or even big data buckets. I wish everything was PPU, that would keep a lid on utilization, but we seem to have long since passed that point.

Given Unlimited plans, the one tweak they should make is do a rolling 30-day threshold, so that extreme users are always de-prioritized, and don't have 22GB to go slurp at regular priority at the beginning of every billing cycle.

I live in a rural area so I see it from another angle. Some, not most but some people do live in rural areas where internet options are limited to satellite internet, slow dsl, and cellular internet. thankfully t mobile made the competitors compete and forced the top 3 to lower prices and provide unlimited internet. This allowed for some rural Americans to have access to affordable internet at data speeds. I don't care if you try to use your data plan as a home internet when you have little to no options as long as you don't go buck wild and try to use terabytes of data a month.

I don't see it from hatoncat perspective, I'm assuming his business is not doing so well and is the reason they can not afford 100 dollar internet for their business. Like you suggested, it could be a backup but I would not count on it being my main internet source for long.

I strongly feel that these cellular companies will combat data pigs, they have the talent and they should have the infrastructure to do so.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mplayers2005 View Post
    I don't see it from hatoncat perspective, I'm assuming his business is not doing so well and is the reason they can not afford 100 dollar internet for their business. Like you suggested, it could be a backup but I would not count on it being my main internet source for long.
    Sorry you don't see it from the perspective of AT&T's CEO. Go read his comments when he was asked directly about handling 24/7 television (DTV NOW via Sponsored Data) and internet access in-home. He said essentially, game on, and that AT&T had the most free local loop bandwidth of any of the Big 4 to pull it off.

There is no need to cast aspersions about my business, and frankly, it's trolling and against the rules to make unnecessary derogatory (and false) presumptions. Please cease, thanks.

There's also a much more clear reason - some of us hate monopolies, and AT&T entering WHPI unlimited home/office internet, via Unlimited Plus (et al) destroys Comcast's monopoly on home/office cable-speed broadband. Not holding my breath for an apology however.

Frankly people use more data on their phones today than their PCs on average. AT&T is fine with people, even on the cheapest 1GB data plan streaming 24/7 DirecTV NOW (via Sponsored Data), which is not broadcast to tower, but is a unique stream per device today. That's using far more data on average than my office. Think on that, before you cast more aspersions, or deride people as "data pigs".

I can understand people turning on (and trolling) one-another however, there’s no more AT&T to bash. For once, they’re innovating, leading, and competing head-on with cable. I think it’s great (the AT&T part, not the needless trolling).
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    I hope you don't do anything very important or have employees depending on things working if you're relying entirely on LTE. It's a great backup connection if you can't get multiple wireline providers in though.

Hopefully that type of management works. It just sucks that Unlimited plans are available, or even big data buckets. I wish everything was PPU, that would keep a lid on utilization, but we seem to have long since passed that point.

Given Unlimited plans, the one tweak they should make is do a rolling 30-day threshold, so that extreme users are always de-prioritized, and don't have 22GB to go slurp at regular priority at the beginning of every billing cycle.
    Like I said, people will self-select in impacted markets. If it is unreliable beyond 22GB, then there are too many users. Those people will accept the slow speeds after 22GB, or switch back to cable, if they can. AT&T will learn from that and add capacity. This is all part of their 5G rollout plan. Stress test with >22GB users today, so you know where the bandwidth needs are tomorrow.

Like most offices, yeah, downtime would stink (but we're not running web servers/hosting - and besides, that would violate the TOS). Honestly we've had zero downtime since we made the switch months ago. AT&T rolled out a major bandwidth upgrade and at least 2xCA in our market, and with line of sight to the tower... that's how we're pulling 100 Mbps down, even when deprioritized.

We're in a market that has very few high bandwidth users, and yet gobs of fiber to the tower. AT&T makes money that would have otherwise gone to Comcast, and we save a ton. Win, meet win.

The 5G future is going to be all unlimited. It's going to be speed rated. You'll pay for speed, not gigs of data. There will be a low-income subsidized tier (which is what Google wanted a decade ago). There will be a consumer/LTE speed tier for $20 to $50/month. And if you want 1Gbps internet, you can pay $100 to $300 per connection for the privilege. And there will be $5/month IoT tiers for wearables, cars, etc. AT&T is just getting started early.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Sorry you don't see it from the perspective of AT&T's CEO. Go read his comments when he was asked directly about handling 24/7 television (DTV NOW via Sponsored Data) and internet access in-home. He said essentially, game on, and that AT&T had the most free local loop bandwidth of any of the Big 4 to pull it off.

There is no need to cast aspersions about my business, and frankly, it's trolling and against the rules to make unnecessary derogatory (and false) presumptions. Please cease, thanks.

There's also a much more clear reason - some of us hate monopolies, and AT&T entering WHPI unlimited home/office internet, via Unlimited Plus (et al) destroys Comcast's monopoly on home/office cable-speed broadband. Not holding my breath for an apology however.

Frankly people use more data on their phones today than their PCs on average. AT&T is fine with people, even on the cheapest 1GB data plan streaming 24/7 DirecTV NOW (via Sponsored Data), which is not broadcast to tower, but is a unique stream per device today. That's using far more data on average than my office. Think on that, before you cast more aspersions, or deride people as "data pigs".

I can understand people turning on (and trolling) one-another however, there’s no more AT&T to bash. For once, they’re innovating, leading, and competing head-on with cable. I think it’s great (the AT&T part, not the needless trolling).

There were no aspersions cast here, your're merely taking my observations and spinning it into an attack. I don't know you nor do I hold any malice intent against you, so trolling is a false accusation on itself. I was not using that term to ID or refer to you in an implicit manner. The amount of data you use should be allowed, I'm soloy speaking of user who suck terabytes out of their data plan.
    My observation was very plausible and only pointed out a reasonable response in your favor. It makes sense if you could not afford the cost at the moment, so your best option was to get the cheapest unlimited data plan on the market. Now if you're stating you could had afford the $100 internet bill, then you're just conniving by taking advantage of AT&T while making profits using their service, and you should be a shame of yourself. Like I said earlier, I only pointed out a reasonable response in your favor.

You can't keep taking Peoples comments out of context like that, first me and now AT&T's CEO. There is no way AT&T head is advocating that people go buy the mobley (Internet for your car) and use it as your office internet provider. SIR, you're taking advantage of the system or in other words a loop hole. You sound like an educated individual, you're fully capable of understanding what your doing does not sound right, regardless of legallity. At the end of the day, that plan will end up changing because of people like you who mis-used the device and service plan. Just like any system has loop holes, but soon those loop holes are Amended.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T & Sprint
    Feedback Score

AT&T Unlimited Data Only 29.99 up to 22GB 29.99 plan

And if AT&T yanked all the Mobley plans, I'd sign up for Unlimited Plus the next day (or most likely, AT&T Prepaid Unlimited for $60/month which includes tethering officially). I'd rather pay AT&T $99 for the first line, and average $27/line over 10 lines, than pay Comcast $99 for one connection that cannot move.
    What device would you use/ are you allowed to use with Unlimited Plus for internet useage?

Doesn't the prepaid unlimited plan now exclude mobile hotspot useage? It seems to, according to their website:

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504793622.191114.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504793637.616977.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  81.1 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    Ever hear the phrase "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission?"
    Yeah but in real life, it means divorce, or a fight. I don't accept forgiveness , when politeness was expected.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint_CDMA View Post
    What device would you use/ are you allowed to use with Unlimited Plus for internet useage?

Doesn't the prepaid unlimited plan now exclude mobile hotspot useage? It seems to, according to their website:

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504793622.191114.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504793637.616977.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  81.1 KB
    Unlimited Plus explicitly supports WHPI. Check the plan terms, it says 10GB tethering cap does not apply to WHPI and Connected Car.

The hotspot exclusion on AT&T Prepaid is new, I know it wasn't there before.

We saw similar plan fluxes when Unlimited Plus rolled out, until eventually all the terms were harmonized and WHPI exclusions were removed. Some early versions of the Unlimited Plus terms didn't allow WHPI, then they harmonized and removed them. So we'll have to wait and see on AT&T Prepaid.

Am I concerned? No, because AT&T Unlimited Plus is a reliable backstop. Especially if you have multiple lines, it can actually be cheaper.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    You can't keep taking Peoples comments out of context like that, first me and now AT&T's CEO. There is no way AT&T head is advocating that people go buy the mobley (Internet for your car) and use it as your office internet provider. SIR, you're taking advantage of the system or in other words a loop hole. You sound like an educated individual, you're fully capable of understanding what your doing does not sound right, regardless of legallity. At the end of the day, that plan will end up changing because of people like you who mis-used the device and service plan. Just like any system has loop holes, but soon those loop holes are Amended.
    Unlimited Plus formally allows WHPI. Explicitly and clearly. How in the world is that a loophole? It isn't. You're making an argument that is contrary to basic, well-accepted facts.

Unlimited Plus has explicitly allowed WHPI on Unlimited Data plans for months now. AT&T has shown no sign of attempting to "correct" or change that. They are instead, raking in cash from customers like me.

There is zero evidence that AT&T believes, in any way, that Unlimited Data on WHPI or Mobley or Connected Car is a loophole. None.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    I live in a rural area so I see it from another angle. Some, not most but some people do live in rural areas where internet options are limited to satellite internet, slow dsl, and cellular internet. thankfully t mobile made the competitors compete and forced the top 3 to lower prices and provide unlimited internet. This allowed for some rural Americans to have access to affordable internet at data speeds. I don't care if you try to use your data plan as a home internet when you have little to no options as long as you don't go buck wild and try to use terabytes of data a month.
    Yeah, if you have no other options, unfortunately you're kind of stuck with using LTE as your only internet, and your phone usage will be a lot higher, since you can't offload to cable/fiber/VDSL-based WiFi like most people do. The rural areas generally aren't that congested though, as there just aren't that many people out there to cause congestion.

Like I said, people will self-select in impacted markets. If it is unreliable beyond 22GB, then there are too many users. Those people will accept the slow speeds after 22GB, or switch back to cable, if they can. AT&T will learn from that and add capacity. This is all part of their 5G rollout plan. Stress test with >22GB users today, so you know where the bandwidth needs are tomorrow.
    LTE is still not a replacement for cable, and those users are slowing down the network for everyone else just because they refuse to get a real internet connection. In rural areas, if people don't have access to DSL/cable/VDSL/fiber, or their DSL is really slow/sucky, then LTE is far preferrable to satellite in most cases.

Like most offices, yeah, downtime would stink (but we're not running web servers/hosting - and besides, that would violate the TOS). Honestly we've had zero downtime since we made the switch months ago. AT&T rolled out a major bandwidth upgrade and at least 2xCA in our market, and with line of sight to the tower... that's how we're pulling 100 Mbps down, even when deprioritized.
    If downtime would significantly impact your business, you are NUTS to be running off of LTE only. In fact, any business where downtime would significantly impact the business's ability to do business should be running on two wired connections with UPSes and such if possible, and if not, one wired, with LTE backup. Businesses are generally not about getting 100mbps speedtests, they're about having reliable, consistent connectivity. For small businesses, the best setup with be DSL/VDSL/fiber for one connection, cable for the other, larger businesses can look at Metro-E for one and cable/VDSL for another, or multiple Metro-E lines depending on what's available in their building/area.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    I run my whole office on a Mobley. We have line of sight to a tower that is rarely under congestion... to the point 100 Mbps is a routine occurrence. We use around 400 to 600 GB a month, and pay $20.

Comcast's lowest price - and the only broadband available to our current office - starts at $99/month before taxes.

And if AT&T yanked all the Mobley plans, I'd sign up for Unlimited Plus the next day (or most likely, AT&T Prepaid Unlimited for $60/month which includes tethering officially). I'd rather pay AT&T $99 for the first line, and average $27/line over 10 lines, than pay Comcast $99 for one connection that cannot move.

Here is the problem cat, you keep taking about unlimited plus like you have it. You told us you used the $20 unlimited plan (cheapest unlimited plan on the market) which is designed to add internet to your car. Hints the reason it has a OBD-II port and not a wall outlet plug. You are not using this device in the car, you found work arounds to use this plan in the office where is does not belong. You can keep playing semantics all you want and try to quote the head and make claims all you want,
    you're out of compliance with your service terms and agreement, end of story.

I really can't believe your actions, from one business owner to another. If you can afford the office space, then darn it you can afford the $100 internet bill attach to run the office .like you stated above, "we're not running web servers/hosting." There is no reason for what you're doing, only excuses for your pocket.
    This is greed in its peer form, this is why trickle down economics doesn't work. Too many owners and operators are too greedy to transfer money down the food chain, they rather increase their profits.
    Last edited by mplayers2005; 09-07-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    If downtime would significantly impact your business, you are NUTS to be running off of LTE only. In fact, any business where downtime would significantly impact the business's ability to do business should be running on two wired connections with UPSes and such if possible, and if not, one wired, with LTE backup. Businesses are generally not about getting 100mbps speedtests, they're about having reliable, consistent connectivity. For small businesses, the best setup with be DSL/VDSL/fiber for one connection, cable for the other, larger businesses can look at Metro-E for one and cable/VDSL for another, or multiple Metro-E lines depending on what's available in their building/area.

Exactly, but cat has made his mind up and will find some wordy response that makes little to no sense. This dude is about to be in a tailspin if something goes wrong

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Exactly, but cat has made his mind up and will find some wordy response that makes little to no sense. This dude is about to be in a tailspin if something goes wrong
    Or, maybe, just maybe, we run our mission critical apps in this thing called the cloud.

If AT&T were to go down, we'd just pull out out Free Year of Sprint devices, each with 10GB of hotspot, and crack jokes during the five minutes of downtime.

Any outage in Chico that knocks down AT&T and Sprint, is probably an OC-3 link that has also taken down Comcast. So we aren't taking a huge risk there. The SPOF in town is fiber, not the carrier.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Here is the problem cat, you keep taking about unlimited plus like you have it. You told us you used the $20 unlimited plan (cheapest unlimited plan on the market) which is designed to add internet to your car. Hints the reason it has a OBD-II port and not a wall outlet plug. You are not using this device in the car, you found work arounds to use this plan in the office where is does not belong. You can keep playing semantics all you want and try to quote the head and make claims all you want,
    you're out of compliance with your service terms and agreement, end of story.

I really can't believe your actions, from one business owner to another. If you can afford the office space, then darn it you can afford the $100 internet bill attach to run the office .like you stated above, "we're not running web servers/hosting." There is no reason for what you're doing, only excuses for your pocket.
    This is greed in its peer form, this is why trickle down economics doesn't work. Too many owners and operators are too greedy to transfer money down the food chain, they rather increase their profits.
    If AT&T were to say I can't run a Mobley off a wall outlet, I wouldn't do it. There's no rule barring that on the $20 plan. And, the fact the Mobely supports USB tethering - a feature AT&T could disable at-will... supports my thesis.

And all AT&T would have to do is add a line that says Connected Car plans are to be used in-vehicle only. There, I just wrote it for them.

End of your story, thankfully. We obviously are never going to see eye-to-eye on this, so just let it go. I really don't care about your opinion of my "actions" - as there are hundreds of posts of people in the Mobley thread doing the same thing, sans any objection or comment from AT&T.

What my "actions" are doing is giving AT&T a profitable line of service, using underutilized bandwidth, and helping destroy cable's monopoly on broadband. I do have some sand I could offer you to pound though if you'd like to continue to argue I'm unethical.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    hatoncat is still trolling these forums?! he has an office of hatoncats? oyy

Feedback Score
    If AT&T were to say I can't run a Mobley off a wall outlet, I wouldn't do it. There's no rule barring that on the $20 plan. And, the fact the Mobely supports USB tethering - a feature AT&T could disable at-will... supports my thesis.

And all AT&T would have to do is add a line that says Connected Car plans are to be used in-vehicle only. There, I just wrote it for them.

End of your story, thankfully. We obviously are never going to see eye-to-eye on this, so just let it go. I really don't care about your opinion of my "actions" - as there are hundreds of posts of people in the Mobley thread doing the same thing, sans any objection or comment from AT&T.

What my "actions" are doing is giving AT&T a profitable line of service, using underutilized bandwidth, and helping destroy cable's monopoly on broadband. I do have some sand I could offer you to pound though if you'd like to continue to argue I'm unethical.
    Wow, you lie more than the president!! Lol.... the service term agreement clearly states the device is to be used for "eligible vehicles", and your office is not a vehicle. Oh and I can't wait until people start jumping off cliffs, I assume you will follow since everybody does it. But this is pointless since you lack a moral compass, It's like beating a dead cat with a hat.

Please, tell me your business name, so I can add you to my AWW HELL NAH list
    Last edited by mplayers2005; 09-08-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast