Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: VoLTE and VoWiFi on Unbranded Devices

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,625
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0

    VoLTE and VoWiFi on Unbranded Devices

    Any updates on this topic, or is AT&T still bent on trying to see how many customers they can lose in a year?
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,173
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Any updates on this topic, or is AT&T still bent on trying to see how many customers they can lose in a year?
    It's not just ATT.... it's every US carrier.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Posts
    22,011
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    It's not just ATT.... it's every US carrier.
    T-Mobile seems to be able to get their act to together in regards to this. You really don't need to do anything unlike AT&T, where there appears to be specific features which must be added in order to get VoTLE. There's a big reason I don't swap my main AT&T line into other devices anymore because it seems the swapping breaks the VoLTE.

    My S8 (SM-G950U) directly from Samsung worked with VoLTE out of the box with T-Mobile. Not sure about wiFi Calling, since I never use that feature.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,625
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    It's not just ATT.... it's every US carrier.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure if you're referring to VoLTE or losing customers, but, on both counts, AT&T stands alone.

    For VoLTE, Verizon and T-Mobile both allow VoLTE on unbranded devices. Sprint doesn't, but they don't have VoLTE, so you can't say they are discriminating. Crappy CDMA for all!

    For losing customers, Verizon gained subs, and T-Mobile continues to surge ahead.

    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    T-Mobile seems to be able to get their act to together in regards to this. You really don't need to do anything unlike AT&T, where there appears to be specific features which must be added in order to get VoTLE. There's a big reason I don't swap my main AT&T line into other devices anymore because it seems the swapping breaks the VoLTE.

    My S8 (SM-G950U) directly from Samsung worked with VoLTE out of the box with T-Mobile. Not sure about wiFi Calling, since I never use that feature.
    It will work by default, but AT&T has chosen to actively block devices that they didn't sell (with a couple of exceptions like unbranded iPhones and a couple of HTC phones that they seemingly randomly picked) from getting VoLTE/VoWiFi. By default, a device like the Moto G5 Plus, an unbranded Samsung Galaxy S7 or S8, or a Google Pixel would work with VoLTE on AT&T's network.
    Last edited by GSMinCT; 08-14-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Typo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,616
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Some carriers will only allow VoLTE to fall back to Voice over Wi-Fi and vice versa. AT&T allows that plus fall back to WCDMA. Other carriers drop calls if the alternative is unavailable.
    Last edited by efparri; 08-14-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,625
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Some carriers will only allow VoLTE to fall back to Voice over Wi-Fi and vice versa. AT&T allows that plus fall back to WCDMA. Other carrier drop calls if the alternative is unavailable.
    Irrelevant. This topic is about AT&T allowing unlocked phones to use VoLTE, not what they allow VoLTE to do or not do. On a side note, it is unfortunate that they are not confident in their VoLTE network. Verizon had no choice but to be confident in it before launching, since CDMA doesn't fall back, but AT&T apparently isn't, since they implemented fallback, which should have been unnecessary if they had gotten 100% of their towers upgraded to LTE and were confident in the performance of the LTE network.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Posts
    12,014
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0

    VoLTE and VoWiFi on Unbranded Devices

    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Irrelevant. This topic is about AT&T allowing unlocked phones to use VoLTE, not what they allow VoLTE to do or not do. On a side note, it is unfortunate that they are not confident in their VoLTE network. Verizon had no choice but to be confident in it before launching, since CDMA doesn't fall back, but AT&T apparently isn't, since they implemented fallback, which should have been unnecessary if they had gotten 100% of their towers upgraded to LTE and were confident in the performance of the LTE network.
    I understand your point, but I really don't see what's so bad with having a fallback back to W-CDMA. Verizon pretty much just drops the call instead of going over to 1X. There are times that Verizon is going to have to go over to 1X in certain areas of the country until they are upgraded to LTE. I rather be on AT&T where at least I can transfer over to UMTS instead of dropping the call. And by the way I don't think Verizon is fully upgraded to LTE, I'm still seeing reports of people in the Verizon forum making calls on 1X.
    Hartford, CT Area

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Posts
    22,011
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    It will work by default, but AT&T has chosen to actively block devices that they didn't sell (with a couple of exceptions like unbranded iPhones and a couple of HTC phones that they seemingly randomly picked) from getting VoLTE/VoWiFi. By default, a device like the Moto G5 Plus, an unbranded Samsung Galaxy S7 or S8, or a Google Pixel would work with VoLTE on AT&T's network.
    VoLTE should work if the feature "AT&T Voice over Long Term Evolution" is added to the account, I don't know the SOC code but this feature apparently allows support for VoLTE for supported devices on the billing side. All the AT&T lines I manage for my company have this feature...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    116
    Feedback Score
    0
    VOLTE does work with my htc 10 which is nice but to not work on my pixel is a shame

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,625
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I understand your point, but I really don't see what's so bad with having a fallback back to W-CDMA. Verizon pretty much just drops the call instead of going over to 1X. There are times that Verizon is going to have to go over to 1X in certain areas of the country until they are upgraded to LTE. I rather be on AT&T where at least I can transfer over to UMTS instead of dropping the call. And by the way I don't think Verizon is fully upgraded to LTE, I'm still seeing reports of people in the Verizon forum making calls on 1X.
    I believe Verizon's *native* network is 100% LTE overlaid, but I could be wrong. 1x would be for older devices or while roaming. There's nothing wrong per se with having a fallback, but the fact that AT&T had to wait to have the fallback working to go ahead with VoLTE was because they still don't have the network 100% upgraded. On the flip side, they had a much more gradual upgrade path because of Faux G. It's fake 4G, but it's still had a lot longer life than EVDO did on Verizon.

    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    VoLTE should work if the feature "AT&T Voice over Long Term Evolution" is added to the account, I don't know the SOC code but this feature apparently allows support for VoLTE for supported devices on the billing side. All the AT&T lines I manage for my company have this feature...
    That's not true at all. Their current policy is that if they didn't sell the phone, they won't activate VoLTE, except for one or two HTC phones and the iPhone. The Google Pixel, and the Moto G are two examples of phones that would work with VoLTE on the AT&T network, but AT&T refuses to enable the feature on the account since they didn't sell that IMEI.

    My concern is mostly with VoWiFi. I really don't care if I'm using VoLTE or HSPA+, they both do the same thing. But to not have VoWiFi is really a shame.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,598
    Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    I believe Verizon's *native* network is 100% LTE overlaid, but I could be wrong.
    This is super interesting. I can't find any 3G only cell sites on this coverage map. (https://www.verizonwireless.com/feat...-matters/#maps) What seems fishy to me is the fact that they're not advertising the fact that "all of their towers have LTE". While searching around I also found some "Extended LTE" in my area. Is this just LTE that has a potentially weaker signal? It doesn't really follow the cell patterns of T-Mobile or AT&T... it also disappears when I choose 4G LTE coverage without CDMA. Huh.

    Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

    -

    Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Posts
    12,014
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    I believe Verizon's *native* network is 100% LTE overlaid, but I could be wrong. 1x would be for older devices or while roaming. There's nothing wrong per se with having a fallback, but the fact that AT&T had to wait to have the fallback working to go ahead with VoLTE was because they still don't have the network 100% upgraded. On the flip side, they had a much more gradual upgrade path because of Faux G. It's fake 4G, but it's still had a lot longer life than EVDO did on Verizon.



    That's not true at all. Their current policy is that if they didn't sell the phone, they won't activate VoLTE, except for one or two HTC phones and the iPhone. The Google Pixel, and the Moto G are two examples of phones that would work with VoLTE on the AT&T network, but AT&T refuses to enable the feature on the account since they didn't sell that IMEI.

    My concern is mostly with VoWiFi. I really don't care if I'm using VoLTE or HSPA+, they both do the same thing. But to not have VoWiFi is really a shame.
    Verizon's sunset date for their CDMA network is still many years off. If there LTE network was completely over laid, then I can't see why they couldn't turn off CDMA much earlier and refarm that spectrum for LTE. I understand there's people with CDMA only devices still, but those numbers are starting to dwindle from what I understand.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,625
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    This is super interesting. I can't find any 3G only cell sites on this coverage map. (https://www.verizonwireless.com/feat...-matters/#maps) What seems fishy to me is the fact that they're not advertising the fact that "all of their towers have LTE". While searching around I also found some "Extended LTE" in my area. Is this just LTE that has a potentially weaker signal? It doesn't really follow the cell patterns of T-Mobile or AT&T... it also disappears when I choose 4G LTE coverage without CDMA. Huh.
    I'm not sure if 100% of the sites have LTE, but they are probably darn close at this point. At first, they only put LTE on certain sites, and then went in and backfilled. Those crayon maps are all BS to a certain degree.

    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    Verizon's sunset date for their CDMA network is still many years off. If there LTE network was completely over laid, then I can't see why they couldn't turn off CDMA much earlier and refarm that spectrum for LTE. I understand there's people with CDMA only devices still, but those numbers are starting to dwindle from what I understand.
    Lots of phones that are pre-VoLTE and can only use LTE for data and still rely on CDMA for voice. Probably a very few left that don't have LTE at all, maybe some older prepaid cheapo phones. Also, Sprint and USCC roaming.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,625
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Also, from what I understand, the upgrade cycles on smartphones have slowed a lot. They will sunset the CDMA network, but it's going to be at least two more years. I believe EVDO dies in 2019, and CDMA in 2021, although they've made various, differing statements about when it will get shut down.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    5,133
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    VoLTE should work if the feature "AT&T Voice over Long Term Evolution" is added to the account, I don't know the SOC code but this feature apparently allows support for VoLTE for supported devices on the billing side. All the AT&T lines I manage for my company have this feature...
    Anyone successfully add this feature to their accounts? I have a Google Pixel and VoLTE still doesn't work on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 145
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
  2. Warranty and coverage on data devices
    By JesterMania in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 08:36 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 08:28 AM
  4. HELP: Setting up WAP and MMS on unbranded s710a
    By UnwiredOne in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:23 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 04:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks