Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enable Carrier Selection Menu on Verizon?

Feedback Score

Enable Carrier Selection Menu on Verizon?

Does anyone know how to enable the carrier selection menu on a non-jailbroken Verizon iPhone? I saw a post explaining how to do it using a plist editor, but I don't know if it works with Verizon or if it is still up to date. Thanks!

Original post:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1503076924.162202.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1503076944.368910.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  195.4 KB

Feedback Score
    The carrier menu on my Verizon IPhone seems to appear while in a "No Service" area.
    I first noticed this while at my camp in rural Maine. The menu disappears automatically the instant your phone regains service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    The carrier menu on my Verizon IPhone seems to appear while in a "No Service" area.
    I first noticed this while at my camp in rural Maine. The menu disappears automatically the instant your phone regains service.
    Yeah, the same thing happens to me sometimes. I can never get it to appear when I want it to though. One time as we were going into Canada to visit family, I couldn't use my phone for a while because it kept trying to hold onto a weak Verizon 1x signal, even though there was service from Rogers/Telus/Bell. I'm going to try to edit the carrier file and do what the original article said, maybe it still works.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it is a useful feature.
    I was surprised to find that most carriers here in the US don't allow it.
    All of my U.K. mobiles did.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it is a useful feature.
    I was surprised to find that most carriers here in the US don't allow it.
    All of my U.K. mobiles did.
    Yeah, it sure is. I'm pretty sure most carriers in the world allow it.

Feedback Score
    I'm not too technically savvy. Could someone explain what value this feature would have? I mean, don't you have to have a sim card from a carrier in order to use that carrier? Are you saying you could just select a different carrier by changing a setting in your phone?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I'm not too technically savvy. Could someone explain what value this feature would have? I mean, don't you have to have a sim card from a carrier in order to use that carrier? Are you saying you could just select a different carrier by changing a setting in your phone?

It becomes helpful in areas where roaming is a concern (domestically or internationally).

Phones are programmed to favour one's "home network" at all costs, even if its roaming partners have a stronger signal. This can be quite frustrating.
    Having a list of available roaming partners to manually select from eliminates this problem.
    Last edited by bankerdentist; 08-20-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist
    Having a list of available roaming partners to manually select from eliminates this problem.
    Not really, since access is controlled and enforced at the network level at the TAC and at HLR/VLR/HSS.
    I can currently pull a list of available networks on my iPhone 7 Plus with my AT&T SIM, but that doesn't mean I can use Sprint or Verizon Wireless because I'm blocked at the network level from actually using the network for voice/messaging and data.

Same thing, internationally...some networks may be blocked from being used.

Who you can roam on ultimately depends if Verizon Wireless can receive better rate for roaming or if they're a favored partner.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...0/IMG_1251.png
    This is what happens when you are able to manually look for a list of networks with the iPhone.
    It doesn't mean you can use those networks, it only means the networks the iPhone "can see".

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Not really, since access is controlled and enforced at the network level at the TAC and at HLR/VLR/HSS.
    I can currently pull a list of available networks on my iPhone 7 Plus with my AT&T SIM, but that doesn't mean I can use Sprint or Verizon Wireless because I'm blocked at the network level from actually using the network for voice/messaging and data.

Who you can roam on ultimately depends if Verizon Wireless can receive better rate for roaming or if they're a favored partner.

This is what happens when you are able to manually look for a list of networks with the iPhone.
    It doesn't mean you can use those networks, it only means the networks the iPhone "can see".

Having the option to manually connect to an available roaming network which works better than a network that is favoured by your carrier settings, is absolutely a nice feature to have.
    Having traveled quite extensively and lived in Europe where roaming is very common, I can assure you that it's useful.

Obviously a roaming agreement needs to be in place in order for any of this to work. That's a given.

U.S. Cellular happens to be Verizon's roaming partner where my camp is. While sitting indoors, my phone will constantly reconnect to Verizon's network despite hardly being able to hold a signal. It seems to be more of a "ghost" signal because whenever I try placing a call or sending a text it eventually drops to "No Service" and then finally "Extended 1X" (Us Cellular). This leads to lots of missed calls, delayed texts, and frustration.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could just go into the menu and manually select "U.S. Cellular".
    Last edited by bankerdentist; 08-20-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    It becomes helpful in areas where roaming is a concern (domestically or internationally).

Phones are programmed to favour one's "home network" at all costs, even if its roaming partners have a stronger signal. This can be quite frustrating.
    Thanks............

Feedback Score

Wow! That's a lot of networks! Where were you to find that many?

Feedback Score

Also, how did you enable the carrier selection menu when you were connected to AT&T? Don't they usually block it?

Feedback Score

311990 is VTel wireless, if I had to guess... You were in northern Vermont or New Hampshire because you are also able to pick up Canadian air waves. However, I don't think sprint has any LTE up there, so is that selection menu also for CDMA as well?
    Edit: nevermind, sprint does have LTE up there, go figure

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    Also, how did you enable the carrier selection menu when you were connected to AT&T? Don't they usually block it?
    Yes, AT&T hides the carrier selection menu so I had to call them up to enable it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    311990 is VTel wireless, if I had to guess... You were in northern Vermont or New Hampshire because you are also able to pick up Canadian air waves. However, I don't think sprint has any LTE up there, so is that selection menu also for CDMA as well?
    Yup, I took that screenshot up in Northern Vermont while visiting a family member, but to be more specific it was a little past Swanton. That's VTel Wireless, and it would have been nice if my T-Mobile line roamed on them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1503282474.274964.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  17.1 KB I'm so used to seeing the usual 4 your post had me "wowed" haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast