Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: LG 200 New Battery Needed?

Feedback Score

Update

Hi,

I'm here with an update on my situation (if that's okay).

I tried the "remove and recharge" approach to getting my mom's LG 200 phone to work, but it didn't. The battery I ordered through ebay (thanks to mframe's link!) *seemed* to work at first, but ended up not. After a full charge the phone loses half of its power within a few days of *non*-use! That has happened a couple of times. So, it's obvious I need a new phone for her.

Now, to be honest, my mom doesn't need a chatty cell phone -- which is why we have TracFone to begin with. :-) We just use them for emergencies or quick conversations and texting. So it's not even really mandatory that she have a flip phone, but they seem to be the simplest, even if not the cheapest. She doesn't need a mini-computer with big file storage and internet access either. Just a phone with texting.

So I looked at the TF site and I can see that, based on my area code, the ZTE Cymbal T LTE is the closest in kind to what she has now. (Very similar to mine.) But it's way too expensive for what she needs/does.

And I agree with loboheeler in an earlier post that the LG 236C (which is the one I myself have and which I bought just a few years ago for $20 as a replacement for my previous 236C!) is way too pricey now at $60+.

So I looked for the ZTE Z233VL mentioned by hpham. (This is a CDMA phone, right?) It wasn't at the TF site that I could see, but I did find it listed at Best Buy (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/total-w...?skuId=5888106) for the same $20 price.

Which leads to a question: Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying from someone other than through tracfone.com itself? If not, I'd likely go with this one and try to transfer my mom's present 3600 minutes to that phone.

Crunch time: her plan comes up for renewal on Oct. 9th, so I'm under the gun! I thought of simply transferring her minutes to *my* phone and then letting her start fresh with a new phone (which would have enough minutes for her purposes), but TF won't let me register that phone to my account for some reason. Maybe I registered it at TF under a different account name, the details of which I don't have and have long since forgotten.

Anyway, that's my situation now. If any of you have advice that you think would help me at this point, I'd be glad to entertain it. Otherwise, I'll assume I'm on the right trac (er, track).

Thanks again for your previous assistance and for any suggestions this time around!

Feedback Score
    Best Buy or any other retailers are a
    fine place to buy phones.

Use TracFone website chat (link on TracFone support page) to ask why you can't add her current phone to your account. Also use chat to transfer her current balance to the new phone which is CDMA. Be sure to ask them to confirm the current balance on her old phone before starting the transfer, just in case something goes wrong.

Well you just confirmed that those replacement batteries are usually junk quality. You should try to get a refund without having to send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by DogRiverRefugee View Post
    Hi,

I'm here with an update on my situation (if that's okay).

I tried the "remove and recharge" approach to getting my mom's LG 200 phone to work, but it didn't. The battery I ordered through ebay (thanks to mframe's link!) *seemed* to work at first, but ended up not. After a full charge the phone loses half of its power within a few days of *non*-use! That has happened a couple of times. So, it's obvious I need a new phone for her.

Now, to be honest, my mom doesn't need a chatty cell phone -- which is why we have TracFone to begin with. :-) We just use them for emergencies or quick conversations and texting. So it's not even really mandatory that she have a flip phone, but they seem to be the simplest, even if not the cheapest. She doesn't need a mini-computer with big file storage and internet access either. Just a phone with texting.

So I looked at the TF site and I can see that, based on my area code, the ZTE Cymbal T LTE is the closest in kind to what she has now. (Very similar to mine.) But it's way too expensive for what she needs/does.

And I agree with loboheeler in an earlier post that the LG 236C (which is the one I myself have and which I bought just a few years ago for $20 as a replacement for my previous 236C!) is way too pricey now at $60+.

So I looked for the ZTE Z233VL mentioned by hpham. (This is a CDMA phone, right?) It wasn't at the TF site that I could see, but I did find it listed at Best Buy (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/total-w...?skuId=5888106) for the same $20 price.

Which leads to a question: Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying from someone other than through tracfone.com itself? If not, I'd likely go with this one and try to transfer my mom's present 3600 minutes to that phone.

Crunch time: her plan comes up for renewal on Oct. 9th, so I'm under the gun! I thought of simply transferring her minutes to *my* phone and then letting her start fresh with a new phone (which would have enough minutes for her purposes), but TF won't let me register that phone to my account for some reason. Maybe I registered it at TF under a different account name, the details of which I don't have and have long since forgotten.

Anyway, that's my situation now. If any of you have advice that you think would help me at this point, I'd be glad to entertain it. Otherwise, I'll assume I'm on the right trac (er, track).

Thanks again for your previous assistance and for any suggestions this time around!

Feedback Score
    The ZTE Z233VL link leads to a phone for Total Wireless. That is not the same as Tracfone. It might not accept Tracfone airtime. The feature (as opposed to smart) phones are not so forgiving when it comes to airtime compatibility.

I would just bite the bullet and get the official Tracfone LG 236C from wherever you can get it. Even a used one. There might be another Tracfone CDMA feature phone available used also if you can tolerate that.

A customer service agent should be able to locate mom's account using the serial number of the phone and do something to move things to your account. But I would leave her minutes alone for the time being. I believe there is a $10 option to extend her subscription by a month. Also, there is a grace period for lapses anyway.

Feedback Score
    TW phones have been verified by others to work on TracFone. It will work. You can use the CDMA SIM it comes with too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The ZTE Z233VL link leads to a phone for Total Wireless. That is not the same as Tracfone. It might not accept Tracfone airtime. The feature (as opposed to smart) phones are not so forgiving when it comes to airtime compatibility.

I would just bite the bullet and get the official Tracfone LG 236C from wherever you can get it. Even a used one. There might be another Tracfone CDMA feature phone available used also if you can tolerate that.

A customer service agent should be able to locate mom's account using the serial number of the phone and do something to move things to your account. But I would leave her minutes alone for the time being. I believe there is a $10 option to extend her subscription by a month. Also, there is a grace period for lapses anyway.

Feedback Score
    Good to know. Tracfone has turned into a mess of brands.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to both of you for your input on both the phone I linked to and the issue of transferring minutes. Re: the phone, to confirm tfusr19's info, I happened to check the reviews of the phone at the Best Buy link and saw the first "most helpful" review listed (by "bargainhunter") indicate that he/she checked to be sure TF would honor it, which they apparently did.

Thanks again. I'll order that phone and see how it goes. I may also try for a refund on the battery I just tried as tfusr19 suggested. :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3