Thread: New phone SIM swap

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

New phone SIM swap

Have 2 lines (byod) on cricket. Getting 1 new phone. Will take SIM in my current phone and put it in new phone.

I'll move my current phone to the second line. I'll swap SIM for this as well.

Do I simply swap out the SIM cards and I'm good? Do I have to contact cricket to update anything? With MetroPCS I had to call.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

New phone SIM swap

Quote Originally Posted by lol4lol View Post
    Have 2 lines (byod) on cricket. Getting 1 new phone. Will take SIM in my current phone and put it in new phone.

I'll move my current phone to the second line. I'll swap SIM for this as well.

Do I simply swap out the SIM cards and I'm good? Do I have to contact cricket to update anything? With MetroPCS I had to call.

Thanks.
    Just swap the SIM cards. I do it often.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Just swap the SIM cards. I do it often.
    Thank you, mch!

I'm glad I asked here. Called cricket and rep told me I had to call to update IMEI in their system? When I was with cricket previously, I thought I just swapped them out. I couldn't recall, so I called. Thanks again!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPad Pro 12.9", Lumia 650, SpareOne
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    If Cricket works like AT&T proper, their system will provision some things on your account for the right device automatically (visual voicemail, data, etc.) Updating the IMEI ensures that this happens, but in most cases, you won't need to do that, as it gets updated automatically in almost every situation.

If I remember correctly, AT&T's data plans were iPhone and then "Smartphone," which was Android/Windows Phone - I had a coworker who threw an iPhone-provisioned SIM in a non-AT&T-branded Lumia and tethering didn't work until he called AT&T and had them update the IMEI. I suspect Cricket has something happen behind the scenes, so just contact them and update the IMEI if you have trouble.

Feedback Score
    Check the APN settings swap the Sim and check the APN settings. They should be the same.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $45 / 8 GB
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about Android phone, but for iPhone I guarantee you only put your SIM into new iPhone, the system will update your phone and network without a phone call. Text message from Cricket will show up first and all email and update follow. I change iPhone yearly, twice I did no problem, very easy, and will do again when iPhone 8 come out next month.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Their system doesn't always detect the proper IMEI after a phone swap, as I've noticed the website reporting me using a phone I hadn't used in over a week. But here's the thing: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO. The whole beauty of GSM tech is that you can put that card in anything compatible with the proper frequencies and it WILL WORK. It could even be something you cooked up yourself in your basement if you're the mad scientist type, and they don't have to know or care.
    So just swap the SIM. Call them if it makes you feel better, but you totally do not have to.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

New phone SIM swap

Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    Their system doesn't always detect the proper IMEI after a phone swap, as I've noticed the website reporting me using a phone I hadn't used in over a week. But here's the thing: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO. The whole beauty of GSM tech is that you can put that card in anything compatible with the proper frequencies and it WILL WORK. It could even be something you cooked up yourself in your basement if you're the mad scientist type, and they don't have to know or care.
    So just swap the SIM. Call them if it makes you feel better, but you totally do not have to.
    There are details here that matter - the carrier may need to update some things based on the phone model (derived from IMEI). VoLTE provisioning. iPhone voicemail provisioning if you happen to switch between an iPhone and something else. All this seems to happen automatically.

Some carriers do force you to call in to change the IMEI on file. Metro PCS is one of them, even though it uses the same technology as T-mobile, which doesn't.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I use unbranded phones with aftermarket ROMs and Google Voice for VM. Not a fan of carrier voice mail, and since third party equipment rarely gets certified for things like volte and WiFi calling, its more or less a non issue. GSM is GSM, provided I have compatible hardware it will just work. But I suppose if you rely on those network bells and whistles beyond straight-up GSM, they should probably be informed what device you have on file. It does usually do it automatically, but couldn't hurt to tell them. It'll still work if you don't, though. Just maybe not some of the fancier features.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    There are details here that matter - the carrier may need to update some things based on the phone model (derived from IMEI). VoLTE provisioning. iPhone voicemail provisioning if you happen to switch between an iPhone and something else. All this seems to happen automatically.

Some carriers do force you to call in to change the IMEI on file. Metro PCS is one of them, even though it uses the same technology as T-mobile, which doesn't.
    I'm going from iPhone to iPhone on everything, so it sounds like it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again, mch!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lol4lol View Post
    I'm going from iPhone to iPhone on everything, so it sounds like it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again, mch!
    It's not. Swap Sim and go.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Just an update. I swapped the SIM cards between phones and everything was fine.

Interestingly VOLTE didn't work immediately on the iPhone 6+. That phone got the SIM from the 5s. I went into my account and turned stream more off/on and VOLTE started working. VOLTE worked immediately on the iPhone 7+. I read the off/on stream more tip here. Great forum.