Thread: Found a spot where T-Mobile is spotty

Feedback Score

Found a spot where T-Mobile is spotty

My wife and I just bought an investment condo on the ocean as a part-time residence and vacation rental. It's a concrete building and our unit is on the 2nd floor. It's right on the main drive near town but the former Outrigger Resort down the street where the cell towers used to be located was recently closed (when their lease was up) and the towers were removed. Verizon had no service in the area at all after the closure so they put a temporary tower up in a parking lot a few miles down the street.

Given all the visitors that frequent this area, I was surprised to find that I was only getting 1 bar of weak LTE in the living room which turned into 1 bar of 4G in the back of the condo. Even had it briefly drop to EDGE once before picking up weak LTE again. Speeds are hit and miss and average about 2-4mbps down and 3 up. Using my lightning to HDMI adapter (we don't have cable hooked up yet), we were able to watch a Netflix movie on TV and after it stopped once a few minutes in, it made it through the rest of the movie without buffering again. The internet seems a lot slower than I'm used to seeing from T-Mo and pages take a bit more time to load. Signal is much better outside so I think band 12 is probably lacking in this area.

My AT&T phone is much worse and shows 1 bar of "4G"; I did a speed test and it was a paltry .68mbps down and zero upload. The Verizon temporary tower is about 3 miles away so they might be better in this spot. I have a friend with Verizon that's going to stop by today so I'll have to see how that temporary tower is working on his phone.

Either way, I've got a T-Mo Cellspot at our main house that we don't need as the signal is good there so I'll have to see if this helps. Just thought I'd share. As great as T-Mobile is on this island, even they apparently have poor areas. This is the first place I've found the service to be lacking in an area it should work.

Device(s)
    Moto G (2)
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    My wife and I just bought an investment condo on the ocean as a part-time residence and vacation rental. It's a concrete building and our unit is on the 2nd floor. It's right on the main drive near town but the former Outrigger Resort down the street where the cell towers used to be located was recently closed (when their lease was up) and the towers were removed. Verizon had no service in the area at all after the closure so they put a temporary tower up in a parking lot a few miles down the street.

Given all the visitors that frequent this area, I was surprised to find that I was only getting 1 bar of weak LTE in the living room which turned into 1 bar of 4G in the back of the condo. Even had it briefly drop to EDGE once before picking up weak LTE again. Speeds are hit and miss and average about 2-4mbps down and 3 up. Using my lightning to HDMI adapter (we don't have cable hooked up yet), we were able to watch a Netflix movie on TV and after it stopped once a few minutes in, it made it through the rest of the movie without buffering again. The internet seems a lot slower than I'm used to seeing from T-Mo and pages take a bit more time to load. Signal is much better outside so I think band 12 is probably lacking in this area.

My AT&T phone is much worse and shows 1 bar of "4G"; I did a speed test and it was a paltry .68mbps down and zero upload. The Verizon temporary tower is about 3 miles away so they might be better in this spot. I have a friend with Verizon that's going to stop by today so I'll have to see how that temporary tower is working on his phone.

Either way, I've got a T-Mo Cellspot at our main house that we don't need as the signal is good there so I'll have to see if this helps. Just thought I'd share. As great as T-Mobile is on this island, even they apparently have poor areas. This is the first place I've found the service to be lacking in an area it should work.
    What ocean are you referring to, Erik? 😉

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Haha that would be the Pacific. We're on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Turns out Verizon is about the same. Consistent 1 bar of LTE and very slow like T-Mobile and AT&T. Just a dead zone for all carriers, I guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Haha that would be the Pacific. We're on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Turns out Verizon is about the same. Consistent 1 bar of LTE and very slow like T-Mobile and AT&T. Just a dead zone for all carriers, I guess.
    Maybe better luck with sprint

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lawandorder View Post
    Huh... I was about to recommend US Cellular

Feedback Score
    What devices are you using? Just curious

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had weak service on the island of Kauai ( Waimea), but I didn't mind as I still had service.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    6s Plus.

I brought the Cellspot from home and experimented with a couple of different places. Put the window unit in the front lanai and there was very little improvement. Tried it on the back bedroom windowsill and viola! 4 bars LTE and much more "snappy". Still not super fast as far as Speedtest goes but I'm getting 8-12 Mbps up so fast enough. I'm surprised the Cellspot works because both units are on the same level. Glad I still had that Cellspot laying around at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lawandorder View Post
    Sprint is just atrocious here. Very little SpRint LTE on the island and anywhere outside of town it goes to "Extended" right away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I had weak service on the island of Kauai ( Waimea), but I didn't mind as I still had service.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    How long ago was that? They've done a good job building out Kauai- it's still the weakest Island for coverage (well, aside from Niihau lol) but it's WAY better than it was a couple of years ago. Used to be AT&T EDGE roaming even at the Lihue Airport. Now all the towns generally have LTE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Beachfront property often has coverage issues. It's because they can't build towers on the ocean, so all the signal has to come from inland or, at best, parallel to the beach. This is frequently a problem with condos, which are built to face the ocean with no windows facing inland.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    That makes sense, I didn't even think of that. Our rear bedroom has a window but it faces the forest so I didn't even think the put the Cellspot there initially. I guess there must be a tower up there somewhere though! Working great now.