Thread: Reception or congestion or deprioritization?

Feedback Score

Reception or congestion or deprioritization?

Hi, have been lurking for a few weeks. Have been using a Mobley + Asus for home Internet, wondering if I can get peoples' opinions on slowdown after I moved.

- Downloads now average about 1 mbps or less (0.3-0.5) during the day and late evenings. Very laggy. It's 5 AM and I am hovering between 4-8 mbps.
    - Ookla pings average 50-70 ms.
    - Reception in my apartment is roughly -90 to -105 db, (2-3 bars).

Tried swapping out the SIM into a Velocity yesterday, but in my testing it did not improve download speeds any (still <1 mbps). Upload speeds were 2-3 mbps higher with the Velocity. Reception was about the same.

So I am thinking about either:

1) External antenna for Mobley - but just not sure what this would do for my speeds since in my experience the two have not been well correlated.
    2) Explore Hotspot, would this make a difference since the Velocity didn't help? I don't have a AT&T phone so I'm not sure on how to check for CA or active bands in my area (more rural than before).
    3) My plan rolls over into a new cycle in a few days, planning to see if I'm being deprioritized on a busy tower (yes, I'm aware that most reports indicate this isn't happening).

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd1 View Post
    Any other ideas? Thanks.
    I have my SIM in a Unite Explore and I have Band 30 where I live. It is much better than the Mobley which doesn't get Band 30 and is stuck on Band 12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    I have my SIM in a Unite Explore and I have Band 30 where I live. It is much better than the Mobley which doesn't get Band 30 and is stuck on Band 12.
    Just curious, how are you able to determine that the Mobley is stuck on 12? I have tried an Explore and do know that it is on Band 12 based on the device info and -105 dBm not changing. In my Mobley I get two different signal strengths -105 and -115 with very different DL speeds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Licklog View Post
    Just curious, how are you able to determine that the Mobley is stuck on 12?
    It doesn't have the hardware for Band 30 so it can't be on Band 30.

Feedback Score
    I edited my posr above before I saw your response. Note that I get two different signal strenths and performance so it seems to get a different band than 12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Licklog View Post
    I edited my posr above before I saw your response. Note that I get two different signal strenths and performance so it seems to get a different band than 12.
    Could be 2 different towers or maybe you have other Bands besides 12 where you live. Where I live, I get either Band 12 or Band 30.

Feedback Score
    The Mobley is my only line with AT&T, so I have no idea what bands are available in my area. I guess trial & error, then?

Sigh.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd1 View Post
    The Mobley is my only line with AT&T, so I have no idea what bands are available in my area. I guess trial & error, then?
    The Mobley doesn't have the hardware for Band 30.

Feedback Score
    The Mobley doesn't have the hardware for Band 30.
    Yes, that was very clear from the discussion in the posts above your latest.

The point was I have no way of knowing if band 30 is available in my geographical area since I don't have AT&T devices that can tell me that, so I'll have to probably buy a hotspot to "try" and hope for the best.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest you use antennasearch.com first to get an idea where your local towers are in relation to your place. In my area, at least, Verizon, SprintPCS and US Cellular towers have their names as owners which leaves AT&T as perhaps the other one. Take your Mobley for a drive to those locations to confirm them as AT&T and see what signal strength and DL speeds you get. You could also try your local AT&T store to "try out" a phone to see what type of reception and bands you do receive.

That should give you a better Idea Of What You Are Facing.

Feedback Score
    My experience over the past two months has been speeds of 0.8 to 5 Mbps around home. The 0.8 was HSPA in the car in the driveway. Inside is typically ~2 Mbps most of the time with the Mobley on a particular window sill. I just got 4 Mbps with -117 dBm signal. Around -117 dBm is usually about what I get here.

I have not been able to correlate any reason why my speed is so variable. The cells near me are pretty rural. I doubt they are congested.

Your signal of -90 to -105 dBm should not be a problem. -90 is an excellent signal. -105 is still good. I don't think an external antenna is going to gain you much.

On my ATT phone Cellmapper says it is getting band 5 on a tower that is in a pretty rural area*. It's out by the landfill. I doubt that cell is congested. It is probably not provisioned for Gbps backhaul either. There is no way to know what band or cell the Mobley is using.

Your experience seems similar to mine. The speed we get varies widely for no apparent reason.

Have you tried all of the windows in your home. Mine only gets the -117 marginal signal in one window. The rest are unusably worse. In a window, going through a metal screen would not be good.

A Unite Explore might make a difference if the 3xCA works better than 2xCA of the Velocity. The only way to find out is to try it.

*AT&T does what T-Moble does not (yet). AT&T puts cells in sparsely populated areas that some people might go to sometimes. It's useful and nice to have cell service in places other than cities and major highways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    My experience over the past two months has been speeds of 0.8 to 5 Mbps around home. The 0.8 was HSPA in the car in the driveway. Inside is typically ~2 Mbps most of the time with the Mobley on a particular window sill. I just got 4 Mbps with -117 dBm signal. Around -117 dBm is usually about what I get here.

I have not been able to correlate any reason why my speed is so variable. The cells near me are pretty rural. I doubt they are congested.

Your signal of -90 to -105 dBm should not be a problem. -90 is an excellent signal. -105 is still good. I don't think an external antenna is going to gain you much.

On my ATT phone Cellmapper says it is getting band 5 on a tower that is in a pretty rural area*. It's out by the landfill. I doubt that cell is congested. It is probably not provisioned for Gbps backhaul either. There is no way to know what band or cell the Mobley is using.

Your experience seems similar to mine. The speed we get varies widely for no apparent reason.

Have you tried all of the windows in your home. Mine only gets the -117 marginal signal in one window. The rest are unusably worse. In a window, going through a metal screen would not be good.

A Unite Explore might make a difference if the 3xCA works better than 2xCA of the Velocity. The only way to find out is to try it.

*AT&T does what T-Moble does not (yet). AT&T puts cells in sparsely populated areas that some people might go to sometimes. It's useful and nice to have cell service in places other than cities and major highways.
    Thanks for your input but my experience is rather different. After some more testing I think this is a classic case of congestion in this college town (I moved from a downtown area in a metro area of 750,000). I am up at ~5:30 AM and getting between 9-10 mbps down. At ~7-8:00 last night I was at less than 0.5 mbps, and averaging 1.5-2 mbps during the day. Since I am <22 GB after my plan rolled over last week I am still not going to be deprioritized. Signal is decent. So that leaves congestion. I was expecting faster coverage from AT&T here given the data-hungry population, but I guess the population is too small to justify significant backhaul, or maybe it's just the particular address I'm in.

Looks like I will have to dig and see if band 30 is available and look into the Unite Explore...or call up the local cable monopoly and bend over for $80/month "high speed" package.

Feedback Score
    Try running in 4g mode. At work I usually get about .5 but as low as .2 and as high as 2.

If I turn LTE off I get between 3.5 and 5.

Feedback Score
    You're talking about the Unite Explore, right? Because as far as I know there is no way to default to switch to HSPA on the Mobley software. I got my Unite Explore today and have been testing for a couple of hours now. Mostly LTE bands 2, and 5. Have yet to see it jump on 30 like I saw iPhones at the AT&T store were connecting to, but ~4 miles away. Not sure if aggregation is working properly, either. Speeds jumped briefly to 6 mbps but then I got 0.25 mbps on a speedtest a few minutes ago.