Thread: Port a number from eastern Iowa to Google Fi?

Feedback Score

Port a number from eastern Iowa to Google Fi?

I can't activate a Google Fi in eastern Iowa even though we have very good coverage. I wanted to see if I could move a number to Google Voice, and then activate Google Fi? The other option is to get a new number and use a zip code near by. This is for my parents though and they really want to try and keep their number. Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried moving the number to GV? You don't have to go through with it, but you'll be able to tell if it's possible. I have activated Fi in a pretty poor reception area in Michigan, what is the message you get when you try to activate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    One number/phone for both or two? Monthly how many mins, txts & data? Are your parents elderly or ill?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post
    Have you tried moving the number to GV? You don't have to go through with it, but you'll be able to tell if it's possible. I have activated Fi in a pretty poor reception area in Michigan, what is the message you get when you try to activate?

I was assuming I'd be able to move the number to GV. I was not sure if it would work on Fi after I did though since the area code would still be a unsupported area. I'll check and see if I can move it to GV. When I start to sign up in asks for an area code. When I put in the area code, the message is Project Fi isn't available in your area. When I go to a coverage map though it shows great service all around me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    One number/phone for both or two? Monthly how many mins, txts & data? Are your parents elderly or ill?
    Just one number and phone. They use a very small amount of data/txts/mins. They will be moving off a flip phone. They are old but in good health

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    I can't activate a Google Fi in eastern Iowa even though we have very good coverage. I wanted to see if I could move a number to Google Voice, and then activate Google Fi? The other option is to get a new number and use a zip code near by. This is for my parents though and they really want to try and keep their number. Thanks
    Are you in a Traffic Pumping area code and exchange? Google won't deal with them.

Feedback Score
    Not in your shoes. But the little specifics I know I'd go with a traditional MVNO. Are they going to a smartphone? Can you give a max of data/txts/mins?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Not in your shoes. But the little specifics I know I'd go with a traditional MVNO. Are they going to a smartphone? Can you give a max of data/txts/mins?
    They are going to a smart phone from a flip. I'd guess they'd use under 500 mb data/100 texts/300 mins a month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Are you in a Traffic Pumping area code and exchange? Google won't deal with them.
    The current phone # is with Verizon post paid. I think the reason that we can't activate on Fi is that Tmobile has no presence in eastern Iowa and I've been told that Tmobile is who activates the numbers for Fi? We have ok coverage with Sprint and great coverage with US Cellular here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post

It looks like I can port the number to google voice for $20. If I port the number it will be able to be used with Google Fi for sure then? Is there a chance that it will not?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Having gvoice doesn't guarantee you'll get Fi, but if you do get it, you will definitely be able to use your gvoice number for the service.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk