Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extremely Poor Coverage in Wyoming (Yellowstone) and Montana

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    It's a national park. The purpose of a national park is to preserve the property for future generations against human interference and contamination..................like cellular towers and such. Turn your phone off and enjoy the park.
    Yeah, except the last time I was at Old Faithful, I had working coverage right around the geyser, the Old Faithful Lodge, etc. When it worked last time, it was a reasonable assumption that it would work this time. Except it didn't. It's one thing to not expand coverage, it's another to actually make things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Earlier this summer at Mammoth my AT&T postpaid phone was a brick but my prepaid T-Mobile phone worked great.

I think it roamed on Union if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that is interesting. I wonder if AT&T actually terminated its roaming agreement with Union in that area. But according to this map, http://www.cellularmaps.com/regions/north_central.shtml, AT&T actually has the A side license for Yellowstone. I seem to remember AT&T roaming at Union at Old Faithful in 2009; did AT&T buy some A-side carrier with extremely crappy coverage, and then shut down Union Wireless roaming in the same area? And if so, why hasn't AT&T improved the network to at least be equal to the coverage its customers used to get while roaming on Union?
    Last edited by awj223; 08-25-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Crickets coverage map shows no service around the Grand Canyon, so wouldn't that indicate no AT&T native coverage? I'm assuming only AT&T post-paid customers would see any coverage through a roaming partner.

Just noticed the AT&T coverage map only shows 3rd party coverage. Are the maps outdated?
    It's technically roaming, but AT&T treats them as native coverage, including with full-speed HSPA+ and LTE roaming. Domestic roaming on AT&T phones are listed as "AT&T" anyways, so there's no way for the average customer to even know that they're roaming.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I was up in that area during the Eclipse. My AT&T Mobley's were basically useless. Only my Verizon mobile broadband and Sprint (via CDMA/LTE roaming and some native) were useful.

There appears to be another LTE operator out there in Idaho that Sprint considers native/extended roaming. Voice calls were probably handled by Verizon CDMA.

Sprint was surprisingly solid voice/sms with roaming. Most of it was probably Verizon with another regional operator preferred for data anytime it showed up.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    I was up in that area during the Eclipse. My AT&T Mobley's were basically useless. Only my Verizon mobile broadband and Sprint (via CDMA/LTE roaming and some native) were useful.

There appears to be another LTE operator out there in Idaho that Sprint considers native/extended roaming. Voice calls were probably handled by Verizon CDMA.

Sprint was surprisingly solid voice/sms with roaming. Most of it was probably Verizon with another regional operator preferred for data anytime it showed up.
    AT&T was great in Idaho Falls before, during, and after the eclipse. I'm sure a lot of people were posting photos of the event but the network handled it well. But what really has me scratching my head is the extremely poor coverage on I-15 in the Lima/Red Rock/Dillon area, especially just south of the Clark Canyon Reservoir (this is where the traffic jam was). It was basically NO SERVICE in that area. And, AT&T is showing 3rd party coverage in the Old Faithful area, but whatever 3rd party it is failed miserably. I couldn't use data nor could I make calls. The only thing I was able to get out was a few texts. https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My observation could be tainted by the ZTE Mobley mobile broadband. But overall I was underwhelmed.

Native sprint was also great in Idaho Falls. I was up toward Island Park and Driggs for most of the week. I just looked at the AT&T's coverage map; it is very optimistic compared to what I experienced. The Mobley may have got confused and refused to connect unless you were actually on a state highway or near a town. 5 or 10 miles away deep in the county or national forest and AT&T was more gone than present. Verizon LTE and EVDO mobile broadband were the winners in these areas. AT&T had lots of real, tangible dead zones. Sprint roaming CDMA 1xRTT was almost everywhere and the Verizon mobile broadband was not far behind. Sprint also had a fast, extended 'roam as native' LTE carrier in the region that frequently showed up. I haven't figured out who is is though.

No observations of T-mobile.

It is a first world problem, Just 10 years ago we would have been excited to get an AMPS call through in that region

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Regardless of whether you *should* be able to use mobiles anywhere, in Yellowstone the NPS doesn't allow towers outside of the otherwise built up areas. So there's just no way for anyone to provide coverage much beyond those parts of the park (I remember on my last visit the phone would start pinging with downloaded emails when I got within a couple of miles of Old Faithful).

As for coverage, it may be that AT&T dropped 2G since your last visit so you no longer get that on your phone.

Feedback Score
    I have unlimited data on only native AT&T coverage on prepaid. With that being said, AT&T has a lot of unbuilt territories and has increased their coverage natively with acquisitions as well as buildout of new towers.

I don't find issues as I am always in domestically in AT&T covered areas when in the USA. However, the native coverage area keeps expanding as AT&T would rather not pay roaming revenues and in addition native AT&T coverage is also superior.

AT&T added loads of new cell sites and additional towns for coverage and will continue to do so in Wyoming, Montana and other rural parts of America.

I can't comment on Yellowstone area or specific areas but AT&T has given a list of new cell sites as well as new cities which have gone online in these areas with native coverage. And I personally have not found any dead zones as of yet except for maybe inbuilding coverage where going outside will obtain signal. But from my own travels AT&T coverage on native only coverage has been there when I have needed it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1G-Drew View Post
    Regardless of whether you *should* be able to use mobiles anywhere, in Yellowstone the NPS doesn't allow towers outside of the otherwise built up areas. So there's just no way for anyone to provide coverage much beyond those parts of the park (I remember on my last visit the phone would start pinging with downloaded emails when I got within a couple of miles of Old Faithful).

As for coverage, it may be that AT&T dropped 2G since your last visit so you no longer get that on your phone.
    The issue here is not the National Park service, but rather that at&t relies on Union Wireless for coverage inside some parts of Yellowstone where at&t has not bothered to out up sites themselves. Then it seems that recently at&t customers may have issues connecting to or at&t has restricted access to the Union network in that area so this really is no NPS issue.
    And just on a side note , VZW has added a new site within park boundary recently (as in the past year or two) and Union colocated while at&t did not. So while the park service is challenging to work with, Verizon and even Union seem to find a way to get sites approved for developed areas where the NPS allows cell service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+ (Personal) iPhone 7 Qualcomm (Work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Personal) Verizon (Work)
    Feedback Score
    Earlier this summer at Mammoth my AT&T postpaid phone was a brick but my prepaid T-Mobile phone worked great.

I think it roamed on Union if I recall.

If you're referring to Mammoth, Ca, all major carriers should have native service there.
    I was there in June and was experiencing great speeds.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504836505.100025.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  37.6 KB

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Extremely Poor Coverage in Wyoming (Yellowstone) and Montana

Quote Originally Posted by sethc0077 View Post
    If you're referring to Mammoth, Ca, all major carriers should have native service there.
    I was there in June and was experiencing great speeds.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504836505.100025.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  37.6 KB
    I am referring to Mammoth, Yellowstone. Since the thread title includes Yellowstone, Montana, and Wyoming, I didn't think it necessary to be more specific than that.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am referring to Mammoth, Yellowstone. Since the thread title includes Yellowstone, Montana, and Wyoming, I didn't think it necessary to be more specific than that.

What's a HF thread without some snark....nonexistent
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+ (Personal) iPhone 7 Qualcomm (Work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Personal) Verizon (Work)
    Feedback Score

Alrighty then.
    Well Mammoth, Ca has great service!
    Lol

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    AT&T was great in Idaho Falls before, during, and after the eclipse. I'm sure a lot of people were posting photos of the event but the network handled it well. But what really has me scratching my head is the extremely poor coverage on I-15 in the Lima/Red Rock/Dillon area, especially just south of the Clark Canyon Reservoir (this is where the traffic jam was). It was basically NO SERVICE in that area. And, AT&T is showing 3rd party coverage in the Old Faithful area, but whatever 3rd party it is failed miserably. I couldn't use data nor could I make calls. The only thing I was able to get out was a few texts. https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
    More I think about it drawing any conclusions on wireless coverage or performance during the eclipse infestation is like complaining about traffic jams and road designs during same time.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    More I think about it drawing any conclusions on wireless coverage or performance during the eclipse infestation is like complaining about traffic jams and road designs during same time.
    There is a big difference between NO SERVICE and a network that is so bogged down that you have service but can't actually use the data or it's creepy crawly slow.

It sounds like the NPS is doing a decent job of managing where cell sites can and cannot go. A number of years ago, Yosemite had atrocious coverage, and I was wondering what was going on, but it sounds like it's better now. I would think that anywhere that has telephone or power poles installed, they should be able to install small site/DAS along those routes, since the poles are already there, or even a small wooden monopole macro site, as that's no more obtrusive than power poles, but I can totally understand the desire not to have 500' guyed wire monstrosities put up in the middle of a National Park just for cell phone coverage.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    There is a big difference between NO SERVICE and a network that is so bogged down that you have service but can't actually use the data or it's creepy crawly slow.

It sounds like the NPS is doing a decent job of managing where cell sites can and cannot go. A number of years ago, Yosemite had atrocious coverage, and I was wondering what was going on, but it sounds like it's better now. I would think that anywhere that has telephone or power poles installed, they should be able to install small site/DAS along those routes, since the poles are already there, or even a small wooden monopole macro site, as that's no more obtrusive than power poles, but I can totally understand the desire not to have 500' guyed wire monstrosities put up in the middle of a National Park just for cell phone coverage.
    have you ever been to a very large crowd event and have no service? There is no difference in these one off events. Maybe there is coverage there maybe not, again to make any conclusions on a one time event is, in engineering terms N=1, and meaningless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast