Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57

Thread: Galaxy Note 8 on Tmobile

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    356
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Galaxy Note 8 on Tmobile

    Looks like Galaxy Note 8 does not have Band 71 which would be needed to take advantage of the 600. I guess we'll have to see if the LG V30 does or the Galaxy S9.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,645
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's speculated that the v30 should have it but they also thought the note 8 would so I guess we won't know for sure until official specs are out. Some even have hope the next iPhone will but not sure

    My next phone wont be without 600 since I should be able to utilize it in central va and coastal nc this year which are two spots I'm in fairly frequently

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    2,693
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    0
    I bet the Note 8 will support 600 MHz. It was mentioned earlier this year that a Samsung device would be the first to utilize it. I'm not sure that 600 MHz has officially been classified as B71 yet so it won't officially be in the phone specs which has been released on the Note 8.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I bet the Note 8 will support 600 MHz. It was mentioned earlier this year that a Samsung device would be the first to utilize it. I'm not sure that 600 MHz has officially been classified as B71 yet so it won't officially be in the phone specs which has been released on the Note 8.
    Wouldn't hold your breath.would mean the device would have to be recertified thru the fcc. It's really not a surprise that the note 8 doesn't support it. Im not sure why so many thought it would. They just read some story that the x16 modem was being modified to support b 71 and assumed. Here's what tmobile says about the note 8 also, indeed confirming it does not support b71.
    Didn't tmobile also say 4th quarter of this year for a device? The note 8 was never going to get delayed until the 4th quarter to be released.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    2,693
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    Wouldn't hold your breath.would mean the device would have to be recertified thru the fcc. It's really not a surprise that the note 8 doesn't support it. Im not sure why so many thought it would. They just read some story that the x16 modem was being modified to support b 71 and assumed. Here's what tmobile says about the note 8 also, indeed confirming it does not support b71.
    Didn't tmobile also say 4th quarter of this year for a device? The note 8 was never going to get delayed until the 4th quarter to be released.
    Wow that is strange. Yes they did confirm a Q4 600 device and also stated it would be a Samsung if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if T-MobileHelp has 100% of the facts straight though to confirm that the Note 8 does not support 600. Perhaps they were confusing it with the S8? This article is from Qualcomm itself and states the X16 modem in the SD 835 will have 600 support.


    https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/20...evices-reality

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    wooow...and they want $950? i LOVE the Note line up but guess im going have to pass on this
    Sign up for Ibotta, the app that really helps you save money on item's you already buy, click on the link below to get a $10 bonus! After $20 you can send the funds to a PayPal account or a gift card (wal-mart,target,giant eagle etc)

    https://www.ibotta.com/r/vkubwkv

    Don't have Ibotta? download it here:

    Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibotta.android

    iPhone https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibotta/id559887125

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,645
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's too much $$ for me and for that price it would have to be ready for 600 or a def no go. I somewhat wanted the new Moto z2 but around $750 I couldn't see myself paying that much for it

    I know I'm spoiled anticipating 600 but these phone prices are high

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Wow that is strange. Yes they did confirm a Q4 600 device and also stated it would be a Samsung if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if T-MobileHelp has 100% of the facts straight though to confirm that the Note 8 does not support 600. Perhaps they were confusing it with the S8? This article is from Qualcomm itself and states the X16 modem in the SD 835 will have 600 support.


    https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/20...evices-reality
    Yea but that article doesn't claim that that's the modem in the note 8. The note 8 has already been certified thru the fcc and it doesn't have 600mhz support. Here's the reddit topic on the device. It doesn't support band 71.https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...upport_600mhz/

    Now the nexus 6 was released without band 12 being available and it was added later through a software update, but everyone knew the nexus 6 supported band 12 because of fcc filings that the device was certified for it. The note 8 wasn't certified for 600 support. If indeed it does have the modified x16 modem, and they plan to issue a software update to enable it, the device would have to be recertified thru the fcc for 600mhz support. A poster on reddit brings up an interesting idea, the first samsung device to support b71 could be a tablet. I don't think tmobile said specifically samsung would release a phone in the 4th quarter with b71 support, pretty sure they only said a device. Could be a tablet. According to bgr also a tmobile source has said the note 8 will not ever support band 71.http://bgr.com/2017/08/23/galaxy-not...se-date-plans/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    356
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    What other device is Samsung releasing this year?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    What other device is Samsung releasing this year?
    As far as flagship, none. Their 2 big flagship lines are the galaxy s series and the note. That's not to say they won't release another high end device. They could release a variant of the s8 even and just call it something different. They do stuff like this a lot. They also have the a series, the j series they can release variants of. Someone incorrectly posted on one of these posts a while ago that the note 4 was Samsung's first band 12 phone for tmobile. This wasn't entirely true, the galaxy avant was. They could also go that route here again and release something like a mid tier avant as the first b71 device. With samsung you never know, they release so many devices and so many different variants of the same series of devices it's hard to tell. They've toned it down some this year with the s8, so far only the s8 active has come out, but last year they had so many special edition s7's come out later on, the s7 Batman edition, s7 iron man edition, s7 edge Olympic edition, and so on. It wouldn't be all that shocking to see a special edition s8 come out in October that supported b71.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,314
    Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I bet the Note 8 will support 600 MHz. It was mentioned earlier this year that a Samsung device would be the first to utilize it. I'm not sure that 600 MHz has officially been classified as B71 yet so it won't officially be in the phone specs which has been released on the Note 8.

    Nope.

    http://bgr.com/2017/08/23/galaxy-not...se-date-plans/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Band 71 isn't even officially designated band 71 by the 3GPP alliance. There isn't a single chance band 71 is magically included in the device only to be activated later by a software update. Get real people. the only way to be sure a device supports it is to get a hold of FCC filings that explicitly state that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    2,693
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Qualcomm's website doesn't identify it as B71, but rather simply 600 MHz. If they stated that their upgraded baseband will support it on the newer X16 modem, then its ready on their end. Whether or not it gets future recertification remains to be seen. You can be assured these companies, including Samsung, have been testing these frequencies in their labs for some time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,356
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    As far as flagship, none. Their 2 big flagship lines are the galaxy s series and the note. That's not to say they won't release another high end device. They could release a variant of the s8 even and just call it something different. They do stuff like this a lot. They also have the a series, the j series they can release variants of. Someone incorrectly posted on one of these posts a while ago that the note 4 was Samsung's first band 12 phone for tmobile. This wasn't entirely true, the galaxy avant was. They could also go that route here again and release something like a mid tier avant as the first b71 device. With samsung you never know, they release so many devices and so many different variants of the same series of devices it's hard to tell. They've toned it down some this year with the s8, so far only the s8 active has come out, but last year they had so many special edition s7's come out later on, the s7 Batman edition, s7 iron man edition, s7 edge Olympic edition, and so on. It wouldn't be all that shocking to see a special edition s8 come out in October that supported b71.
    According to this the Avant didn't initially include Band 12 when released in July 2014. https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sa...y-Avant_id8726

    T-Mobile then posted the Avant would support Band 12 (with software update) https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28849

    Also, according to this page the Note 4 supported Band 12 in Sept 2014 but the Avant is listed in getting the software update in May of 2015. "Samsung Galaxy Avant SM-G386T (band 12 enabled with May 2015 software update)" http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compa...e-in-2014-2016

    Specs for Note 4 on Sept 2014 release state Band 12 support. https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sa...-Note-4_id8577

    That makes the Note 4 the first Band 12 phone since the older Advent had to wait on a Software update to activate Band 12 in May 2015.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 08-24-2017 at 09:55 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    According to this the Avant didn't initially include Band 12 when released in July 2014. https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sa...y-Avant_id8726

    T-Mobile then posted the Avant would support Band 12 (with software update) https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28849

    Also, according to this page the Note 4 supported Band 12 in Sept 2014 but the Avant is listed in getting the software update in May of 2015. "Samsung Galaxy Avant SM-G386T (band 12 enabled with May 2015 software update)" http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compa...e-in-2014-2016

    Specs for Note 4 on Sept 2014 release state Band 12 support. https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sa...-Note-4_id8577

    That makes the Note 4 the first Band 12 phone since the older Advent had to wait on a Software update to activate Band 12 in May 2015.
    You can't magically add bands with software updates. The phone has to be certified by the fcc to work on that band and also must have the hardware. The avant had both of those and was released over a month before the note 4. Thus, as I've said, making the avant Samsung's first band 12 device on tmobile.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bell LTE Galaxy Note on Rogers LTE Network
    By Gizz in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM
  2. Telus Galaxy S2 on Tmobile?
    By terryjohnson16 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM
  3. Samsung Galaxy Note on Wind?
    By beuh_Dave in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
  4. Galaxy Note on Bell LTE
    By lukeiphone in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
  5. Galaxy Note on ST
    By smartiefootball in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 05:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks