Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Increase in porting after Verizon unlimited change?

Feedback Score

Increase in porting after Verizon unlimited change?

Do you think after Verizon's announcement with the unlimited plan changes this will increase customers joining (porting) the Magenta family? In particular, do you think new customers will be more likely to pick T-Mobile ONE PLUS (with HD)? PS: I've been a happy T-Mobile customer for 5 years and LOVE my T-Mobile ONE PLUS (I'm on the PLUS promo).

Feedback Score
    There is a lot of really bad press from cellular websites now about the downgrade. I suspect a small percentage of VZ users will be affected and switch, but until Legere makes a big deal about it with some national ads, there won't be a flood of port in action.

Feedback Score
    I just switched from T-Mobile to Verizon in the last month. If you were on the previous unlimited plan, you got bumped to the better of the two plans as of yesterday for the price of the old plan. The changes include increased tethering from 10Gb/month to 15Gb/month for each phone, but a throttling of video to 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets.

I don't anticipate too much porting due to this change because most people will see a benefit (increased tethering) and not care about the 720p downgrade. But I do think the new cheap unlimited plan absolutely sucks. You can be deprioritized due to tower congestion from your very first byte of data per month under that plan. Also, video is limited to 480p. Also tethering is limited to 600kbps.

So I do think the new plans are less competitive. The cheap plans might make sense for some people, but not most IMO. The expensive plan also has video throttling. It really remains to be seen how this affects subscriber numbers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    There is a lot of really bad press from cellular websites now about the downgrade. I suspect a small percentage of VZ users will be affected and switch, but until Legere makes a big deal about it with some national ads, there won't be a flood of port in action.
    Why would he make a big deal about It? he may want to implement it himself.
    It wouldnt be totally surprising to see the industry define hd content as 720p max resolution.

Feedback Score
    He'll make a big deal about it the same way he did when it was reported that VZ speeds dropped 14% shortly after their unlimited service was available. He seems to enjoy taunting them, and I can't imagine this not being another opportunity. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I think he should raise the tether and prioritization limits to rub their noses in it.

Feedback Score
    LOL, just call me Carnac!

Quote from article:

"Needless to say, T-Mobile CEO John Legere took this week's announcement by Verizon as an opportunity to make fun of big red further.

"If this isn’t a sign that Verizon’s network is crumbling from offering unlimited, I don’t know what is!" the CEO said on Twitter. "Verizon just limited EVERYTHING about its “unlimited” plan…your network needs help! Just admit it already!" added the CEO."

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/T...ottling-140195

Feedback Score
    He'll make a big deal about it the same way he did when it was reported that VZ speeds dropped 14% shortly after their unlimited service was available. He seems to enjoy taunting them, and I can't imagine this not being another opportunity. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I think he should raise the tether and prioritization limits to rub their noses in it.
    I agree he enjoys taunting them on things that aren't overly important. All 4 carriers feel the same way about things they consider network management issues and rarely attack the others over it. He himself recently pulled a similar move with metro pcs where he removed hd video streaming on their plans. I just don't think this will be one of the things he bashes as he may want to do it himself as a network management procedure.

He really didn't bash them there for what they did, instead he bashed them more on network performance. As someone pointed out remember who started the DVD quality streaming. To think tmobile would never ever implement the same practice is crazy. They invented the practice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    I agree he enjoys taunting them on things that aren't overly important. All 4 carriers feel the same way about things they consider network management issues and rarely attack the others over it. He himself recently pulled a similar move with metro pcs where he removed hd video streaming on their plans. I just don't think this will be one of the things he bashes as he may want to do it himself as a network management procedure.

He really didn't bash them there for what they did, instead he bashed them on network performance. As someone pointed out remember who started the DVD quality streaming.
    At least you could opt out.

Feedback Score
    I'd say their network performance is pretty important to many, and that stating that their network was crumbling is bashing them.

Waiting for the spin doctors to chime in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derkaiser View Post
    At least you could opt out.
    You could. Now you have to pay more. Would I be totally shocked if they charged 15 dollars for "hd streaming" and they also decided to limit it to 720p? Not at all. Again it's a practice they invented and made popular. Tmobile made restricting the quality of video streams in the name of network management popular. It's a copycat industry. I could 100% see them doing the same thing Verizon is. I wouldn't gloat over the fact Verizon is doing this at all. Tmobile could easily be next in line. That's why I don't get why people gloat when one company screws over it's customers, odds are you're next.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    You could. Now you have to pay more. Would I be totally shocked if they charged 15 dollars for "hd streaming" and they also decided to limit it to 720p? Not at all. Again it's a practice they invented and made popular. Tmobile made restricting the quality of video streams in the name of network management popular. It's a copycat industry. I could 100% see them doing the same thing Verizon is. I wouldn't gloat over the fact Verizon is doing this at all. Tmobile could easily be next in line. That's why I don't get why people gloat when one company screws over it's customers, odds are you're next.
    I agree. To me, the real suck of the gounlimited plan from Verizon is the possibility of having your data de-prioritized form byte number 1 each month. Seems like Legere could have hyped on that pretty easily.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I'd say their network performance is pretty important to many, and that stating that their network was crumbling is bashing them.

Waiting for the spin doctors to chime in.
    I don't know if I'd say it was important to many. Do you really think the average person knows if they are getting 15mbps down or 30? Probably not. It's more marketing for carriers to use against each other and nerds to argue about than anything. All I've seen him bash so far is network performance and the fact Verizon lied. Has he directly attacked what they are doing? If not I wonder why. The new Verizon plans are terrible, just saying don't be overly surprised though if parts of them become industry standard across all carriers one day soon.

Feedback Score
    I think Legere would be smart to go in the other direction and add MORE value to the ONE plan. That would be the biggest FU to Verizon and the crap plans they just announced that even affect existing customers.

Feedback Score
    As far as the original thread question, it's hard to say but I'd guess that the bad PR Verizon is getting will negatively affect them and people may be more likely to look elsewhere for service. Especially in areas where Verizon is congested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast