Thread: K-Mobile K2

Device(s)
    Passport, Leap, Lumia 650 DS
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

K-Mobile K2

My niece is interested in the K2 available from K-Mobile stores in Canada. It's not a device I would consider but it ticks all the boxes for her and seems pretty good value for money as it comes with a case, screen saver and spare battery.

Anyhow, their website is really scant on actual usable info but I've been able to dig up answers to all of her questions except one: Does it work on Freedom's 3G AWS? Anyone know? I've got this q hanging on their Facebook page but it's her birthday tomorrow and I'll need to pick the device up today if I get it at all so I'm kinda in a hurry.

Cheers!

*EDIT*

Further info: FCC ID: SW9 U5E
    Manufacturer: Shenzhen Gotron/Ulephone

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    I could not find the LTE specs for this phone at all. The K-Mobile site goes into great lengths to not show the network bands. I would say avoid products that are not honest upfront with what they are selling.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND Mobile -> Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    My niece is interested in the K2 available from K-Mobile stores in Canada. It's not a device I would consider but it ticks all the boxes for her and seems pretty good value for money as it comes with a case, screen saver and spare battery.

Anyhow, their website is really scant on actual usable info but I've been able to dig up answers to all of her questions except one: Does it work on Freedom's 3G AWS? Anyone know? I've got this q hanging on their Facebook page but it's her birthday tomorrow and I'll need to pick the device up today if I get it at all so I'm kinda in a hurry.

Cheers!

*EDIT*

Further info: FCC ID: SW9 U5E
    Manufacturer: Shenzhen Gotron/Ulephone

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app
    According to the FCC test report for the SW9 U5E:
    https://fccid.io/SW9-U5E/Test-Report...Report-2483844

These are the supported bands:

GSM Band(s) : GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    GPRS/EGPRS Class : 12
    WCDMA Band(s) : FDD Band I/V

It doesn't appear to support Freedom Mobile. Additionally, this device doesn't appear to support LTE of any sort.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    I could not find the LTE specs for this phone at all. The K-Mobile site goes into great lengths to not show the network bands. I would say avoid products that are not honest upfront with what they are selling.
    She's not on LTE just yet so 3G is good but I'm getting a bit of a run around from K-Mobile themselves so it looks like she'll have to make do with my Lumia 650 DS for the time being until I can confirm or not or look for another device that suits her.

Thanks for your help.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    According to the FCC test report for the SW9 U5E:
    https://fccid.io/SW9-U5E/Test-Report...Report-2483844

These are the supported bands:

GSM Band(s) : GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    GPRS/EGPRS Class : 12
    WCDMA Band(s) : FDD Band I/V

It doesn't appear to support Freedom Mobile. Additionally, this device doesn't appear to support LTE of any sort.
    Thanks. I read through the report myself and kinda understood that 3G AWS wouldn't work but I wanted to confirm with someone who actually understood what the site was saying.

It's surprising that they don't sell a device that's Freedom/WIND compatible as the company that runs K-Mobile owns 17 Freedom franchise stores.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 08-24-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just got a message from K-Mobile's Facebook thread saying it is compatible with WIND's 3G. I'm not sure they're correct but going to order anyway on the strength of this. Woe betide them if it isn't compatible, my niece is a powerful force when pissed off!!! LOL

*EDIT*

Just had a message from K-Mobile saying that if my niece's SIM doesn't work they'd give me a full refund.
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 08-24-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So tell me, is this a half decent machine? Is it worth all this hassle or should I be telling her to look elsewhere?

$219;
    Case, spare battery and screen saver included;
    Octa-core 1.7GHz MediaTek MT6592;
    2GB RAM;
    32GB internal;
    Expandable to 256GB;
    1280x720;
    2,350 mAh battery (I've been informed this is now over 3,000mAh, although I can't confirm this);
    Android 4.4.2 (But an update is due, apparently. To what, I have no idea).

Device(s)
    Palm Pre Plus (On The Way)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Android 4.2? Run away....this thing has an ancient OS and will never see an update!

Device(s)
    Palm Pre Plus (On The Way)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Meant 4.4.2 but KitKat is ancient. Any new device you buy should have Marshmallow (6.0) minimum, though I wouldn't touch anything new without Nougat (7.0)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jt325i View Post
    Meant 4.4.2 but KitKat is ancient. Any new device you buy should have Marshmallow (6.0) minimum, though I wouldn't touch anything new without Nougat (7.0)
    I told her as much but she doesn't care, all she does with her device is call and text with a little bit of Facebook and Instagram thrown in for good measure. K-Mobile told me there is an update coming soon, they were just waiting for enough buyers to make it worth their while, but to what they had no idea. Anyhow, I picked it up yesterday and we'll see what she thinks of it when I give it to her later today.

Thanks all!

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND Mobile -> Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I told her as much but she doesn't care, all she does with her device is call and text with a little bit of Facebook and Instagram thrown in for good measure. K-Mobile told me there is an update coming soon, they were just waiting for enough buyers to make it worth their while, but to what they had no idea. Anyhow, I picked it up yesterday and we'll see what she thinks of it when I give it to her later today.

Thanks all!
    I think it's better to get whatever your niece wants. Not everyone is techsavvy, and if you get her something more modern that she doesn't end up liking, she might be a little dissapointed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    I think it's better to get whatever your niece wants. Not everyone is techsavvy, and if you get her something more modern that she doesn't end up liking, she might be a little dissapointed.
    Yep, agreed and she loves it! As I said before it's not my cup of tea but it suits her down to the ground. One thing that surprised her is that K-Mobile or whomever fiddled with the OS, has installed very BB10 like swipe commands and as she's recently destroyed her Z10 she found it a very comfortable device and got the hang of it quickly. She does miss BB's VKB though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Former Mobilicity Subscriber)
    Feedback Score
    So tell me, is this a half decent machine? Is it worth all this hassle or should I be telling her to look elsewhere?

$219;
    Case, spare battery and screen saver included;
    Octa-core 1.7GHz MediaTek MT6592;
    2GB RAM;
    32GB internal;
    Expandable to 256GB;
    1280x720;
    2,350 mAh battery (I've been informed this is now over 3,000mAh, although I can't confirm this);
    Android 4.4.2 (But an update is due, apparently. To what, I have no idea).
    Forget that and hit an iPhone. But then again, even used they are expensive and I wouldn't touch anything less than 64GB. 32GB are for starters. If I were to go back to Android, I'd touch nothing under N. One of my backup phones runs M, but that's on my exclusion list.

As long as someone is happy.