Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is Tracfone the only company that lets me keep my data forever, as long as I keep add

Feedback Score

is Tracfone the only company that lets me keep my data forever, as long as I keep add

is Tracfone the only company that lets me keep my data forever,
    as long as I keep adding more data/minute or service days?

or are there other companies that have a similar business model?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    It is the only one that I know of.
    And you need to have service days to keep your phone's data.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There are other pay as you go service providers, but based on the following, it looks like Tracfone's lowest data rates are roughly half the price of the next cheapest option.
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...and-plans.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    is Tracfone the only company that lets me keep my data forever,
    as long as I keep adding more data/minute or service days?

or are there other companies that have a similar business model?
    Tello and Truphone are in effect similar. They allow you to deposit a cash balance that does not expire with some very minimal use. Talk, text, and data use the balance at the unit rates. Tello is $20 a GB. Truphone is $90 a GB!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    is Tracfone the only company that lets me keep my data forever, as long as I keep adding more data/minute or service days?

or are there other companies that have a similar business model? Thanks!
    I believe AirVoice also keeps data forever as long as the phone has voice minutes on it. In fact they had it before Tracfone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    I believe AirVoice also keeps data forever as long as the phone has voice minutes on it. In fact they had it before Tracfone.
    By that definition, if you are referring to pure paygo, where the entire balance can be used for talk, text, or data, then PagePlus was the first. H2O would be another that works that way.

But nobody else does it like TF, where every talk, text, or data bucket in their "plans" rolls over forever as long as there are remaining service days.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boz1 View Post
    by that definition, if you are referring to pure paygo, where the entire balance can be used for talk, text, or data, then pageplus was the first. H2o would be another that works that way...
    h2o paygo: $100 1 gb @ $.10 mb.

Feedback Score
    And some people - or is it just one person - still complains about TracFone's $10/GB

Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    h2o paygo: $100 1 gb @ $.10 mb.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    And some people - or is it just one person - still complains about TracFone's $10/GB
    I didn't take that one person's thread as whining or complaining. They were just trying to understand why the rates weren't lower for TF vs. the other subs which seemingly had a better value for data.

In any case, these PAYGO plans like H2O seem to be attractive to someone who has need for voice and text for low usage and very occasional need for data given those data rates But yes they do make TF's $10/GB look really cheap.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned by others, you have to maintain service to keep your data, so you do continue to pay each time you purchase service. There are cheaper alternatives than Tracfone.
    If you don't mind VOIP for voice calls, Freedompop has a new $49 a year plan that offers 1GB data, 1000 minutes and 1000 texts EACH MONTH. http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...-includes.html
    and of course, they also have an absolutely FREE service that offers 200 min., 500 texts and 700MB each month on ATT towers. I have two phones on the free service and they work great. Coverage is better on Tracfone using Verizon towers so I maintain service with Tracfone because of that, but the free service on Freedompop, is, after all, FREE!! That could change in the future, but right now it is the cheapest.
    Last edited by larryoham12; 08-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I didn't take that one person's thread as whining or complaining. They were just trying to understand why the rates weren't lower for TF vs. the other subs which seemingly had a better value for data.

In any case, these PAYGO plans like H2O seem to be attractive to someone who has need for voice and text for low usage and very occasional need for data given those data rates But yes they do make TF's $10/GB look really cheap.
    If Total Wireless can sell non-expiring add-on data for $2/GB in $10/5GB increments, why can't TF!? Nvm. Jk.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's the comparison I don't get... . Never mind the fact that TW customers fork out more per month, which equates to more guaranteed income for TW, so they can provide better data rates to keep up with their market competitors.

But the argument goes that it's not in my best interest as a customer to point this out .

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If Total Wireless can sell non-expiring add-on data for $2/GB in $10/5GB increments, why can't TF!? Nvm. Jk.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's the comparison I don't get... . Never mind the fact that TW customers fork out more per month, which equates to more guaranteed income for TW, so they can provide better data rates to keep up with their market competitors.

But the argument goes that it's not in my best interest as a customer to point this out .
    I was reading in the Verizon Prepaid forum today some of the abysmal data speeds of some of those on VZ's prepaid plan where they are being deprioritized if the network is congested. This is since some recent plan changes. One thing to pay a certain price but if it becomes almost useless then it doesn't matter what the price is. Haven't seen anyone complaining here yet of deprioritized data via TF/VZ.

Feedback Score
    Was also reading that Verizon redid their unlimited offerings and videos may be streamed at lower rates/resolutions depending on which unlimited tier on is on. Interesting stuff going on. Hopefully the FCC is keeping an eye on these issues.

I was reading in the Verizon Prepaid forum today some of the abysmal data speeds of some of those on VZ's prepaid plan where they are being deprioritized if the network is congested. This is since some recent plan changes. One thing to pay a certain price but if it becomes almost useless then it doesn't matter what the price is. Haven't seen anyone complaining here yet of deprioritized data via TF/VZ.

Feedback Score
    Verizon unlimited changes and throttling:
    https://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-unlimited-plan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast