Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling from an Andriod?

Feedback Score

Wifi calling from an Andriod?

My kids have IPhones and have always been able to use wifi for calling their friends, facetime etc.

Is that just for IPhones?

What I'm after is can I use my Moto G5 to make calls using Wifi or is it just specific to using Skype or other apps that are really data usage over wifi?

Can I set up a google voice number and use that for out going calls on Wifi? If I can make calls to anyone from my house that would cut down on a lot of minutes from TF. That's my whole object is why use minutes when I can use Wifi for free? Just not sure how to set it up so it works well.

Any ideas on how to do what I want to do? I would like to be able to use one number using wifi whenever avaible for all calls and cell when I can't use wifi but I don't think that is possible?

Feedback Score
    Install the Hangouts dialer app.

Then you can call using your GV number.

Feedback Score
    Also, from the Google Voice app you can select whether you want to make outgoing calls using your GV number. This for when you dial using the normal phone app.

The options are always, never, always for international calls, and ask every time.

Feedback Score
    Get a Google Voice number. Add your real cell number to GV as a forwarding number. Set GV to forward calls and texts to the cell number. Forwarded calls and texts will use your cell service units.

Install Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer. This will get you free calling in and out with you GV number over Wifi or data. Many experience more audio delay latency than a normal cell call with Hangouts (or any VOIP).

Install the GV app to make calls with cell service using your GV number.

This get you free Wifi calling and unified use of the GV number for everything on the phone. Only the Wifi calling with Hangouts will not use your cell service units.

Been doing this for years. It works great. It is seamless once set up.

One oddity is that incoming calls and texts will show a different number than the contacts real number. The phone will still match the number in your contacts and show the contact name. The different number is a relay number that GV uses to make the system work.

[Edit] I have no idea how any of this works with iPhones. The iPhone GV app used to work differently than Android.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Install Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer. This will get you free calling in and out with you GV number over Wifi or data. Many experience more audio delay latency than a normal cell call with Hangouts (or any VOIP).
    I only use Hangouts for calls which the calling ID, quality of voice and connection are not important, like checking on prescription status, airport weather reports, voicemail, etc. One time I used Hangouts to call the local DMV and the calls kept getting disconnected when the clerk answered. She thought it was a crank call and was quite pissed off when I called again using my cell service.

Feedback Score
    That's crazy . . . What if you were a new customer with a number not in their system yet?

I have not had any quality issues recently with the few calls I've made using Hangouts.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I only use Hangouts for calls which the calling ID, quality of voice and connection are not important, like checking on prescription status, airport weather reports, voicemail, etc. One time I called the local DMV and the calls kept getting disconnected when the clerk answered. She thought it was a crank call and was quite pissed off when I called again using my cell service.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    That's crazy . . . What if you were a new customer with a number not in their system yet?
    The called ID was not an issue in that case. If someone called you and hanged up (disconnected) twice as soon as you answered, naturally you would be agitated when answering the 3rd time, whether it was the same caller or not.

Feedback Score
    I only use Hangouts for calls which the calling ID, quality of voice and connection are not important, like checking on prescription status, airport weather reports, voicemail, etc. One time I used Hangouts to call the local DMV and the calls kept getting disconnected when the clerk answered. She thought it was a crank call and was quite pissed off when I called again using my cell service.
    I use it for about the same things when away from home, but with Wifi. I find the audio quality to usually be excellent. I have measured my latency to be ~600 ms round-trip. That is on the borderline of good and poor.

That is good enough for children to talk to other children for free. They can pretend they are doing tin can and string. What do they have to say anyway? Sup? Nuthin, sup u?

At home I have an Obi for free GV calls with my cordless phone system when my cable Internet isn't acting up. That wouldn't help for a multi person household needing several simultaneous calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ...I have not had any quality issues recently with the few calls I've made using Hangouts.
    The audio delay latency is only noticeable if you are having a back and forth conversation. One way calls are not effected.

Feedback Score
    I hope this isn't a dumb question. If one uses public wifi for Hangouts, Google Voice or similar, is the activity visible to hackers? I can't quite figure this out. I do have the Hangouts app but I rarely use it. I used it once I think at Target just to try it.

Feedback Score
    Good question. Apparently data is sent encrypted:
    http://bgr.com/2015/05/12/google-han...vacy-security/

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I hope this isn't a dumb question. If one uses public wifi for Hangouts, Google Voice or similar, is the activity visible to hackers? I can't quite figure this out. I do have the Hangouts app but I rarely use it. I used it once I think at Target just to try it.

Feedback Score
    I thought the clerk was hanging up on you due to unknown number.

The called ID was not an issue in that case. If someone called you and hanged up (disconnected) twice as soon as you answered, naturally you would be agitated when answering the 3rd time, whether it was the same caller or not.

Feedback Score
    Other use of Google Voice/Hangouts: if you are in a foreign country and have WiFi, you can call home for free.

Feedback Score
    Get a Google Voice number. Add your real cell number to GV as a forwarding number. Set GV to forward calls and texts to the cell number. Forwarded calls and texts will use your cell service units.

Why forward the texts? You can just use Hangouts to check the messages and respond directly in the Hangouts app. You can get many messages through in half a megabyte, it's cheaper than SMS even at 1000 messages for $5. Plus it's free when you are on WiFi.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    [Edit] I have no idea how any of this works with iPhones. The iPhone GV app used to work differently than Android.
    I use the Hangouts app on both a BYOP iphone SE and a BYOP LG G5 android. The only difference I see is that
    the Android needs the Hangouts Dialer app and the iphone just shows a Hangouts app. When you touch the
    iphone app it goes directly to a keypad where you can punch in a number or have the option to go to your
    contacts to choose a number.

Both have same call quality.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast