Thread: Will gUDP be deprioritized?

Feedback Score

Will gUDP be deprioritized?

So far I haven't noticed gUDP being throttled on video on the sites that can provide good speeds, but I'm wondering if there is any information pertaining to whether Verizon will be deprioritizing gUDP lines.

Lately I've noticed extremely poor download speeds on dozens of towers. I'm thinking that so far it is just congestion, but I can only imagine how unusable VZW will be on congested sites with deprioritization!

Any firm news on this, or is it just speculation at this time?

Feedback Score
    I am trying to find out the same thing. Alot of speculation out there but I haven't seen anything really confirmed. I have an old nationwide 700 minute family share plan that has one of the lines GUDP. If I pull up the YouTube app there is a option that says stats for nerds and its checked. Videos are showing 2560 x 1440 or 1920 x 1080 depending on content.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Eventually it will be and Video throttling hasn't hit but a few markets at this time

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    I am trying to find out the same thing. Alot of speculation out there but I haven't seen anything really confirmed.
    There is no speculation. Verizon confirmed it via press release. ALL legacy plans will be throttled. They are rolling it out market by market. It is not yet implemented nationwide.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate it thank you. I ending up changing my plan to the new verizon plan the night before the go and beyond went live. I was paying $185 for a 3 line NW700 minutes with unlimited text. One line gUdp, second line verizon max 6gb and a basic. I figured the nUDP was still a better value with unlimited minutes, all lines now unlimited with 22gig(can be throttled) and hotspot included for $160 plus taxes. My order is in a pending state according to myverizon because I had it set to start on my next bill cycle of sept 11.

Feedback Score
    Rolltide, I still find odd that can do that to gUDP. I know you are grandfathered as well. When Verizon bumped the price from 29.99 to 49.99 to me verizon would have to lower it back to 29.99. There is no benefit anymore if it's going to be throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    There is no speculation. Verizon confirmed it via press release. ALL legacy plans will be throttled. They are rolling it out market by market. It is not yet implemented nationwide.
    Throttling and deprioritization are different. I am specifically looking for information regarding deprioritization.

As far as I can tell, this is still up in the air.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    I appreciate it thank you. I ending up changing my plan to the new verizon plan the night before the go and beyond went live. I was paying $185 for a 3 line NW700 minutes with unlimited text. One line gUdp, second line verizon max 6gb and a basic. I figured the nUDP was still a better value with unlimited minutes, all lines now unlimited with 22gig(can be throttled) and hotspot included for $160 plus taxes. My order is in a pending state according to myverizon because I had it set to start on my next bill cycle of sept 11.
    Keep us posted as to whether or not that ever goes through properly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNube View Post
    I am specifically looking for information regarding deprioritization.

As far as I can tell, this is still up in the air.
    Verizon has never said that gUDP will be deprioritized. The press release merely said that legacy plans will match Beyond UDP's 720p video. There is no reason to think they are deprioritizing gUDP.