Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Formerly Congested Areas seeing Faster Speeds Again?

Feedback Score

Formerly Congested Areas seeing Faster Speeds Again?

If your area became congested after unlimited was released, are you seeing faster speeds now that video (and hotspots on some plans) are being throttled?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Formerly Congested Areas seeing Faster Speeds Again?

Video isn't being throttled yet except a couple reports from upstate New York.

Feedback Score
    OK, getting 60Mbps in Ookla Speedtest down and only 4.0Mbps down in Fast.com App. So I think the throttle has hit Lancaster, PA.

Also, a nearby congested area that was barely able to get 1.0Mbps down is now getting 5-10 Mbps down.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    OK, getting 60Mbps in Ookla Speedtest down and only 4.0Mbps down in Fast.com App. So I think the throttle has hit Lancaster, PA.

Also, a nearby congested area that was barely able to get 1.0Mbps down is now getting 5-10 Mbps down.
    I am sure this is how verizon is going to claim their speeds increased without adding any extra towers/cells to their network.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    But they are adding sites to their network. Where did you see that they weren't?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    But they are adding sites to their network. Where did you see that they weren't?
    They were making baseless claims with absolutely 0 evidence to back it up. Any enthusiast around here knows they are adding many sites, whether or not they like Verizon.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7+ and Ipad Mini 4 + Iphone SE + Samsung Galaxy S8 Unlocked on Oreo
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile by Comcast-VZW, T-mobile :{ , Cricket :[ , Verizon Prepaid, Metro Pcs, US MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    Jacksonville Fl speeds Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1503924108.542544.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  41.5 KB
    "Fudge a Contract its So 1990's"
    Xfi-Mobile by VZW $45
    Unlimited 4G LTE
    Unlimited Talk & Text
    VOLTE
    Comcast Wifi Hotspot
    20 GB of LTE
    with Mobile hotspot included
    No Wi-Fi calling
    Current Devices: iPhone 7 Plus Unlocked and Samsung Galaxy S8 Unlock Edition

AT&T WIRELESS, SPRINT PCS, T-MOBILE USA, at&t, Verizon Prepaid, T-Mobile from 2/2017 - 5/2017 (Service is ****** in Florida, South Carolina :/) Cricket 5/17 - 6/17, Xfinity Mobile 6/17 - Present.

Feedback Score
    Yup they have added two new towers here in Cecil County Md one is out in the middle of no where.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I guess in theory: Capping video streams across its network will yield faster speed tests next time Ookla, OpenSignal and Speedsmart do their quarterly comparisons.

This is one way to boost speeds without additional CAPEX.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I guess in theory: Capping video streams across its network will yield faster speed tests next time Ookla, OpenSignal and Speedsmart do their quarterly comparisons.

This is one way to boost speeds without additional CAPEX.
    I think realistically they don't really care about the numbers that Ookla/OpenSignal etc. provide as long as the network works. While some people may care about how "fast" the network is (us enthusiasts) my grandma wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 10 and 100 Mbps. They're just trying to handle all of the network traffic without crashing.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They were making baseless claims with absolutely 0 evidence to back it up. Any enthusiast around here knows they are adding many sites, whether or not they like Verizon.
    They may be adding sites in markets where they already have coverage to densify, but they certainly aren't noticeably geographically expanding into their several coverage holes where they roam or have no coverage.

Feedback Score
    And I am back to less than 1Mbps down. I guess the throttle is not helping as much as I thought.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    And I am back to less than 1Mbps down. I guess the throttle is not helping as much as I thought.
    If anything it would make it worse in certain cases because it's putting a load on the network for a longer period instead of loading video in quick bursts.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    If anything it would make it worse in certain cases because it's putting a load on the network for a longer period instead of loading video in quick bursts.
    That really depends on what they’re watching. Limiting it to a 3.5Mbps steam is better than allowing a 10Mbps stream. In the case of Netflix it’s adaptive streaming so it scales to the available bandwidth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Hey good point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast