Thread: Google Voice/Hangouts dialer question

Feedback Score

Google Voice/Hangouts dialer question

Does anyone here have a basic phone (like my z222 flip on H20) setup to receive Google Voice calls, or must it be an Android smartphone with GV &Hangouts installed just to get GV calls?

Haven't setup GV yet but have it on 3 of my phones including an unactivated one. As well as Hangouts and Hangouts dialer.

Have been reading about it before trying to get a number and setup what devices to associate with it. I dont make many calls, mostly want it for texting and want to be able to use it with my unactivated Alcatel Ideal but read that GV has to be associated with atleast one tel# for call forwarding.

I've dialed out on my unactivated cell using Hangouts dialer without GV but no callback possible, my call arrives on the test phone as "private number".

Is there a forum or thread somewhere for discussing GV, Hangouts, or other communication or texting apps like Textra?

☎💭Thanks! 📲💬

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have my GV number forwarded to a flip phone. There is also a Google voice forum. I will try to find a link to it and update here.

UPDATE:
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...3-Google-Voice

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by mmoose; 08-27-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Does anyone here have a basic phone (like my z222 flip on H20) setup to receive Google Voice calls, or must it be an Android smartphone with GV &Hangouts installed just to get GV calls?

Haven't setup GV yet but have it on 3 of my phones including an unactivated one. As well as Hangouts and Hangouts dialer.

Have been reading about it before trying to get a number and setup what devices to associate with it. I dont make many calls, mostly want it for texting and want to be able to use it with my unactivated Alcatel Ideal but read that GV has to be associated with atleast one tel# for call forwarding.

I've dialed out on my unactivated cell using Hangouts dialer without GV but no callback possible, my call arrives on the test phone as "private number".

Is there a forum or thread somewhere for discussing GV, Hangouts, or other communication or texting apps like Textra?

☎💭Thanks! 📲💬
    You don't need any app for what you're doing, your didn't mention outgoing (gv) calls, there's a way to do it if you're interested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I have my GV number forwarded to a flip phone. There is also a Google voice forum. I will try to find a link to it and update here.

UPDATE:
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...3-Google-Voice

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app
    〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰📝
    📱💬Thankyou for that info, about being able to fwd GV to a flip & for the trouble of pasting the link. I just checked out the link and don't know why I didn't notice the GV section before. Am surprised it's not busier since GV seems pretty popular. ☎💭

Feedback Score
    Posted by sharp99, quote,

You don't need any app for what you're doing, your didn't mention outgoing (gv) calls, there's a way to do it if you're interested. (End quote).

📝
    Thank you for answering, I was going to ask if I could make outgoing calls using GV from the flip but figured if I couldn't download the apps it wasn't possible. I probably wouldn't use it often but it could be good to know how it's done should I need to.
    ☎📲

Feedback Score

You don't need any app for what you're doing, your didn't mention outgoing (gv) calls, there's a way to do it if you're interested. (End quote).

📝
    Thank you for answering, I was going to ask if I could make outgoing calls using GV from the flip but figured if I couldn't download the apps it wasn't possible. I probably wouldn't use it often but it could be good to know how it's done should I need to.
    ☎📲
    Perhaps a little convoluted, but calling your own gv number from your flip phone it will give you the option of making a call through gv. I've actually used it on my smartphone when I had no data to run the gv app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Perhaps a little convoluted, but calling your own gv number from your flip phone it will give you the option of making a call through gv. I've actually used it on my smartphone when I had no data to run the gv app.
    On smartphones, you can use Google Voice to make and receive calls through cell minutes.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice, when I finally pick a number I'll try calling in from my flip &see what transpires...

📞📲

Feedback Score

��
    ☎��
    Nothing with GV is going to save you from having it active with real cell service. The Wifi workarounds are only for smartphones.

You can set GV to forward to the real cell number.

You can note and store the GV relay number for your contacts. If you call that number the call will appear to come from your GV number instead of the real cell number.

You can call your GV number from a GV forward-to phone number and you will get a voice menu that allows you to call another number. That call will appear to the called party as coming from your GV number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Nothing with GV is going to save you from having it active with real cell service. The Wifi workarounds are only for smartphones.

You can set GV to forward to the real cell number.

You can note and store the GV relay number for your contacts. If you call that number the call will appear to come from your GV number instead of the real cell number.

You can call your GV number from a GV forward-to phone number and you will get a voice menu that allows you to call another number. That call will appear to the called party as coming from your GV number.
    He wasn't talking about WiFi or smartphones.

Feedback Score
    I picked my GV # after a few flukes using the app on my unactivated AT&T Ideal.

First tried Fresno, CA 93706 & they said no GV numbers in the Fresno area so I tried again with same & it came back with a list of Fresno #'s with my area code. I tried to pick one & got the wrong one. I hit the back arrow & it let me pick again &that time got the right one.

I went to the next step &it asked if I wanted to use my GV# with this device but it has no tel# since it's unactivated so I chose to verify it with one of my TracFones, a Pixi Unite.

It was pretty fast & I tested it on various phones, calling & texting, the connection was fast. I called my GV# from my H20 flip &got a female operator voice telling me how to connect, but I hung up. I called in & out with success.

In my Gmail box I got message alerts "new text message from 559.---.----" with the message displayed. So that's good, & I activated incoming calls using GV in Hangouts.

The weird deal was, under verified tel #'s in settings it listed numbers I didn't use to verify my GV #, but not the one I did verify with. The #'s were mine but it was weird.

But so far things seem to be working the way they should.

I realize I must have an active tel# to associate my GV# with but it activated calling through Hangouts with my unactivated phone & that's like it now has a number. It can ring through Hangouts & at no cost. I can send or get texts. That's what I wanted. WiFi for browsing, can't complain too much. Just as long as nothing scroodles it up, I did read some of the GV help forum posts about how things can get messed up but hope not.

Thanks again for all the help. I have to play around with it and decide how best to configure it.

Now I have 5 tel#'s !! I can get more phones, not pay to activate unless I need to, but still call & text from them. It may not amaze you because you already knew about GV but I just learned & it amazes me.

☎📲🎶