Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: T-Mobile / Sprint "Finalizing," Plans For A Merger

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    What about them?

T-Mobile could blow Verizon and AT&T out of the water with Sprint's spectrum holdings. They would have to become the "discount" carriers if they wanted to keep their subscribers.
    I'm warming up to the idea of a merger type deal especially with repacking possibly taking double the time

The news mentioned the 600 taking 7 years so that's too long

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I agree. The mobile industry changes at a rapid pace. To have to wait even 3 years is a long time in the mobile industry. It's unacceptable that T-Mobile could be thwarted.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Report: T-Mobile / Sprint "Finalizing," Plans For A Merger

What about them?

T-Mobile could blow Verizon and AT&T out of the water with Sprint's spectrum holdings. They would have to become the "discount" carriers if they wanted to keep their subscribers.
    Yeah that's if the Feds let them keep all that. Your living in a fantasyland if you believe otherwise. I'm willing to bet that divestures will be required for this to get approval.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    All I know is that if it weren't for T-mobile and John Legere, all of us, unless you were grandfathered, would be paying more money for a lot less service.
    I think it's more about the failed merger with AT&T and the break up fees that started it all.

If there wasn't a failed merger attempt with AT&T nothing would have changed IMO.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Report: T-Mobile / Sprint "Finalizing," Plans For A Merger

Why wouldn't they be able to keep it all? The majority of the spectrum Sprint holds is high-band.

They might be over some theoretical low-band or mid-band cap, but I doubt they would have to divest anything.

Sprint doesn't even have that much PCS spectrum to add into the mix compared to T-Mobile's existing combined PCS and AWS holdings.

Any divestitures will be negligible. Their combined average low-band holdings at 55MHz would be less than that of AT&T at 75MHz. Their combined mid-band would be at roughly 105MHz (vs AT&T's 75). But given that they would still be lagging AT&T in the low band, they could argue that the extra 30MHz of mid-band spectrum makes up for their lack of low-band.

As for the high-band spectrum? Historically no one has cared about it because of the weak propagation characteristics and probably wouldn't factor it into any divestiture decisions. At least, not if they have good enough lawyers!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Why wouldn't they be able to keep it all? The majority of the spectrum Sprint holds is high-band.

They might be over some theoretical low-band or mid-band cap, but I doubt they would have to divest anything.

Sprint doesn't even have that much PCS spectrum to add into the mix compared to T-Mobile's existing combined PCS and AWS holdings.

Any divestitures will be negligible. Their combined average low-band holdings at 55MHz would be less than that of AT&T at 75MHz. Their combined mid-band would be at roughly 105MHz (vs AT&T's 75). But given that they would still be lagging AT&T in the low band, they could argue that the extra 30MHz of mid-band spectrum makes up for their lack of low-band.

As for the high-band spectrum? Historically no one has cared about it because of the weak propagation characteristics and probably wouldn't factor it into any divestiture decisions. At least, not if they have good enough lawyers!
    This shows how regulations can be out of whack. So if one company has it and does nothing with, the new company can't do the same? I have more faith in T-Mobile utilizing it then the people at Sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I'd be surprised if it got approved. Not saying it can't happen but would be surprised if they allowed 4 carriers to go to 3

I could possibly be convinced to go a long with it if the right metrics were in place including management etc
    Why? Can you even define what a carrier is? We have way more than 4 if you include MVNOs, especially all of the cable providers who have entered the game.

There's tons of competition in the market. It's never been just 4, and it won't matter much if Sprint and T-Mobile merge. In fact, MVNOs often have the most competitive pricing anyways.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post
    Why? Can you even define what a carrier is? We have way more than 4 if you include MVNOs, especially all of the cable providers who have entered the game.

There's tons of competition in the market. It's never been just 4, and it won't matter much if Sprint and T-Mobile merge. In fact, MVNOs often have the most competitive pricing anyways.
    But when they say they want competition they are usually talking about the big four. I could be wrong but that's how I've always viewed it

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    If they can get away with the price hikes they've been doing imagine how it'll be with 3 carriers! And this is no joke or conspiracy theory, we're in trouble if/when that happens. And it won't happen over night, it will happen insidiously (and it has already started), corporations aren't stupid when it comes to screwing people over they would never just do something overnight. Well except bullheaded Verizon of course.

I'm about ready to hang it up on wireless as a hobby.

I guess we're lucky, it'd still be four here, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular. Sprint never built out their network in Mendocino County, though they have a license here, in fact, they only put one site up in our Rural Service Area (344, Mendocino-90,000, Lake County-66,000), a dinky one in Lakeport in Lake County that serves hardly anyone or much of any land at all, I'm sure just to prevent losing the license.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yep they are now BFF's. Marcelo is excited for the upcoming golden parachute ride!
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    But when they say they want competition they are usually talking about the big four. I could be wrong but that's how I've always viewed it
    But the market is much bigger than the big four. It's stupid to say competition only comes from the big four, especially since prepaid carriers and MVNOs are usually significantly cheaper, and a great choice for single-line users.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If T-mobile took Sprint's spectrum and then (this is important) threw away the rest of what makes up Sprint, then this would be a good deal. Having just jumped ship from Sprint to T-mobile, it's been an incredible breath of fresh air. Nothing at Sprint is good.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This would be huge for prepaid considering that 3 of the most popular prepaid brands in America will all be under one roof (Metro, Boost, Virgin). I'm sure T-Mobile would consolidate them all under the Metro PCS brand solidifying Metro's prepaid dominance over the likes of Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlv View Post
    If T-mobile took Sprint's spectrum and then (this is important) threw away the rest of what makes up Sprint, then this would be a good deal. Having just jumped ship from Sprint to T-mobile, it's been an incredible breath of fresh air. Nothing at Sprint is good.
    What about all the debt though? And the customers that have been promised a free year of service? I think a merger will be a disaster for T-Mobile.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast