Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: T-Mobile / Sprint "Finalizing," Plans For A Merger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post
    But the market is much bigger than the big four. It's stupid to say competition only comes from the big four, especially since prepaid carriers and MVNOs are usually significantly cheaper, and a great choice for single-line users.
    Do you even think before you post? Nothing but babble for the sake of arguing. Nobody said only the four count, but they are the driving force. Do you think they don't have a say so when it comes to mvno pricing? Of course they do

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    What about all the debt though? And the customers that have been promised a free year of service? I think a merger will be a disaster for T-Mobile.
    Pretty sure the amount of customers that signed up are minuscule and its likely they would heavily depriotize their service to keep their network constrains down. Its only a year, there are far worse aspects of sprint than this.

Feedback Score
    Why? Can you even define what a carrier is? We have way more than 4 if you include MVNOs, especially all of the cable providers who have entered the game.

There's tons of competition in the market. It's never been just 4, and it won't matter much if Sprint and T-Mobile merge. In fact, MVNOs often have the most competitive pricing anyways.
    If Sprint and T-mobile merged we would go from 4 main carriers down to 3. I haven't seen a situation where less competition has been good for anyone but the sellers.

It's true that there are MVNO providers in the marketplace, but they get their service from one of the big 4 with most of the resellers offering either Sprint or T-mobile service.

Feedback Score
    Why? Can you even define what a carrier is? We have way more than 4 if you include MVNOs, especially all of the cable providers who have entered the game.

There's tons of competition in the market. It's never been just 4, and it won't matter much if Sprint and T-Mobile merge. In fact, MVNOs often have the most competitive pricing anyways.
    Your logic is a little flawed. Those mvno's run on carrier backbones
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    But the market is much bigger than the big four.
    No, at the end of the day it isn't.

It's stupid to say competition only comes from the big four, especially since prepaid carriers and MVNOs are usually significantly cheaper, and a great choice for single-line users.
    It's stupid to believe that MVNO pricing agreements as well as carrier owned prepaid plans wouldn't change for the worse.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    If Sprint and T-mobile merged we would go from 4 main carriers down to 3. I haven't seen a situation where less competition has been good for anyone but the sellers.

It's true that there are MVNO providers in the marketplace, but they get their service from one of the big 4 with most of the resellers offering either Sprint or T-mobile service.
    It all depends on the area, like I said a few posts ago, our area would stay at 4, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular, Sprint has never built out their network here. FYI - U.S. Cellular is the number 5 carrier in the US.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    Do you even think before you post? Nothing but babble for the sake of arguing. Nobody said only the four count, but they are the driving force. Do you think they don't have a say so when it comes to mvno pricing? Of course they do
    You sound like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by caddypower View Post
    Your logic is a little flawed. Those mvno's run on carrier backbones
    So? Most of them use Verizon and AT&T.

TracFone and their brands are very affordable, and the most popular.

Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    It's stupid to believe that MVNO pricing agreements as well as carrier owned prepaid plans wouldn't change for the worse.
    Cool, guess I'm stupid then. That seems to be the only response that the children on this site have.

Feedback Score
    i was all for a merger, because i just dislike sprint and their crappy device policy (i assumed tmobile would be in charge and sprint would be absorbed)... but sprint has 10s of billions of debt, and their native coverage is very similar to pre-600mhz auction Tmobile coverage.. so the coverage would not increase very much, but it would be more bandwidth i guess... but with all those 10s of billions in debt, wouldn't that slow growth in expanding and build out of sites?
    I'm not sure what gains tmobile would have by taking over sprint, other than customers and coverage in areas they already have coverage in.
    I wonder if merging with dish would be a better match

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I would def rather see a dish deal

Thinking about it this morning no way would I keep anything TMobile if Sprint came into the picture. With Verizon and att having better pricing in some cases having to deal with Sprint wouldn't be work the money for me.

The exception is the plan that I have now is a good deal I would stay as long as the price didn't increase and the service not degrading. If that happens I would be out

We could all be surprised and if it did happen maybe the red tape and bs would be at minimum

Feedback Score
    But the market is much bigger than the big four. It's stupid to say competition only comes from the big four, especially since prepaid carriers and MVNOs are usually significantly cheaper, and a great choice for single-line users.
    The market is not in any way bigger than the Big-4. The Big-4 have a total of 413 million subscriber lines. The total of all the rest of the 65 tiny regional carriers is about 8 million. The non-Big4 carriers are 2 percent of the market. The subscriber count of many of the small regionals is unknown. I think it is reasonable to assume that they don't add up to much more. We could guess that they add up to another 8 million lines. That would still only be 4 percent of the total market.

It is interesting to note that US Cellular has 5 million of the 8 million regional carrier lines. That is more than the rest of regional carriers combined.

The market is controlled by the Big-4 and the market for cell handset service is saturated. Pretty much anyone who wants a cellphone has one. I see homeless people with cellphones and near minimum wage workers with smartphones. At this point, the Big-4 are just trying to lure high-profit postpaid subscribers from each other. Their budget subsidiaries and MVNOs are just part of their product lines.

Sprint could have been a contender, but they made some unfortunate business decisions years ago that put them in a hole they will never get out of. They have not had a profitable year since 2006. They can't afford to build out to a nationwide network that they would need to continue as a competitor. I see no way for them to continue independently much longer. They have shopped their assets to anyone who would listen and all have declined to touch Sprint's toxic mess of debt except this recent rumor of some sort of merger with T-Mo. I'm betting that Sprint will have to agree to a price that is a whole lot less than they thought they were worth a few years ago.

I expect that three national carriers will result is somewhat less competition and somewhat higher prices. It seems clear that the market cannot support four major carriers. There is not enough demand for new service to generate the profits needed to build and operate four overlapping nationwide networks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Pretty sure the amount of customers that signed up are minuscule and its likely they would heavily depriotize their service to keep their network constrains down. Its only a year, there are far worse aspects of sprint than this.
    Yes I always expected if you were on the free Sprint plan and the merger went through, you would have to switch plans to get a new T-Sprint Handset.

Feedback Score
    A lot of phones work on both carriers though. So I wouldn't think they'd be forced to get a new phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    A lot of phones work on both carriers though. So I wouldn't think they'd be forced to get a new phone.
    Could they form an instant perma roaming situation that would force capable Sprint phones to operate off of T-Mobile's Band 2,4 and 12 VoLTE networks where available?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Wow - that would be one heck of a network integration -- TMo on Bands 2, 4 and 12 and Sprint on 25, 26 and 41.

Well, technically Band 25 is a superset of band 2 (it's got 5 MHZ extra on the top end), but that's probably the only really easily combined spectrum. Very few of the handsets will support each others bands -- even the iPhone which tends to be more universal has had many special versions for Sprint to include Bands 26 and 41 prior to the 6S. And there is the whole issue of the alternative modems in the iPhone 7, so our T-Mobile iPhone 7/7+ won't work on CDMA (and Sprint's network still doesn't do VoLTE), which makes it impossible to talk on the Sprint network at this time with T-Mo iPhone 7/7+.

On the Sprint side it's probably even worse -- many of their handsets are more customized and don't support T-Mobile Bands. Either way, this is going to be a complicated network/handset integration that will take a long time to effect.

Feedback Score

Report: T-Mobile / Sprint "Finalizing," Plans For A Merger

I just think the Sprint free for 1 year customers will be stuck on CDMA. I think roaming on T-mobile will require a new plan or feature code. I hope they make both networks accessible to each other immediately.

And I hope it is not the like the Sprint Nextel merger where they had an amnesty period where you could hop to Sprint with no penalties. A bit later they allowed you to mix and match Sprint and Nextel phones on accounts.
    Allowing the networks to coexist is a great ideas but customers need to see immediate integration and closure to the situation, like the ability to use both networks like Google Fi.

Otherwise diehards will be like I am keeping my Sprint phone till the bitter end or folks will be like quick get on T-mobile cause Sprint's network is getting shut down. They need to present a faster blended network to the customers, not the Network that is getting turned off and the Network that is getting left on.

And the first step is to open up roaming on both networks to everyone. They need to portray a better and unified experience to customers as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by techfranz; 09-02-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast