Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Report: T-Mobile / Sprint "Finalizing," Plans For A Merger

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetz View Post
    But how does this make sense? T-Mobile and Sprint aren't the same, GSM/CDMA...
    Wouldn't this be a setback?
    T-Mobile did a great job converting the Metro PCS network.

Of course the size difference between Metro and Sprint is huge but there's no reason to think they won't get it done efficiently.

It just wouldn't happen overnight.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I was talking about the political and economic stuff.
    That tends to derail a lot of things anymore

Feedback Score

Report: T-Mobile / Sprint "Finalizing," Plans For A Merger

Quote Originally Posted by kmetz View Post
    But how does this make sense? T-Mobile and Sprint aren't the same, GSM/CDMA...
    Wouldn't this be a setback?
    Many high-end smartphones contain antennas for both CDMA and GSM because of some being sold unlocked and used for world travel. Sometimes carriers disable the extra antennas that aren't compatible on their network.

So with some tweaks to the firmware, it should be possible to have the phone switch antennas. Google Project Fi already uses T-mobile and Sprint in this way. One note is that there is no soft handoff between CDMA and GSM, but a phone can completely disconnect from one technology and connect to another.

Many years ago I had Verizon Imagio Cell phone with an active AT&T Sim in it and I could toggle between the CDMA and GSM networks.

Feedback Score
    Iphones Most Motorola's do. My G4 Plus and G5 Plus would work all US carriers.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Also Volte will add some interoperability as well I believe.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Last I heard over 70% of T-Mobile voice calls were VoLTE. The clock is slowly ticking until GSM is sunset at T-Mobile. I still have no clue what Sprint has that T-Mobile needs to justify all of Sprint's debt. The FCC will have more spectrum auctions if it is just spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I still have no clue what Sprint has that T-Mobile needs to justify all of Sprint's debt.
    53 million customers that are paying for service each month...

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This has popped up again today. Apparently, DT would be the majority stake holder and DT has proposed that John Legere and Co. be in charge. However, 2 of the reports from today say that Softbank would the largest minority stake holder and that Son wants some say in how the company is run, post merger. That spells doom in my book. First, John Legere does not seem like a guy that wants to share power to that extent and anything that Softbank touches turns to crap.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Yeah the rumor is back. If it happens looks like dt would be majority owner with John running it, but sb would have some say so. That can be agreed upon so shouldn't be an issue

I think sb would be glad to let John run it as long we they did have some input.

Sounds like we could have some kind of announcement soon, but we've heard that quite a few times now so I'll believe it when I see it

Either way I think sb will be smart enough to let the best people run it since this could be their chance. As far as I'm concerned nobody in their right mind would do anything to take away the momentum John has built up with T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    What's different this time to believe it would pass antitrust?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    What's different this time to believe it would pass antitrust?
    I go back and forth on it. Sometimes I think it will pass then other times I figure 4 carriers to 3 may not.

Hard to tell for sure but it does seem like the current administration would be more up for it

Feedback Score
    Here is the link to the T-Mobile website indicating that Deutsche Telekom AG owns approximately 65% of T-Mobile USA.
    https://www.t-mobile.com/company/com...ick-facts.html

Here is the link on the Deutsche Telekom website indicating that the ownership of Deutsche Telekom is: 14.5% directly by the Federal Republic of Germany and 17.4% by KfW a bank owned by the Federal Republic of Germany.
    https://www.telekom.com/en/investor-...lder-structure

The Federal Republic of Germany owns 31.9% of Deutsche Telekom, and consequently, 20.735% of T-Mobile USA.

Wireless telecommunication has/is becoming a part of the infrastructure of every country, thereby becoming more and more controlled by governments.

It is extremely difficult to discuss mergers and acquisitions of infrastructure without discussing politics and economics.

We didn't have the internet then, but those concepts had to be discussed when the US government broke-up Ma Bell and made the memorable Conrail.

i do, however think that intermodal is the way of the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Yeah the rumor is back. If it happens looks like dt would be majority owner with John running it, but sb would have some say so. That can be agreed upon so shouldn't be an issue

I think sb would be glad to let John run it as long we they did have some input.

Sounds like we could have some kind of announcement soon, but we've heard that quite a few times now so I'll believe it when I see it

Either way I think sb will be smart enough to let the best people run it since this could be their chance. As far as I'm concerned nobody in their right mind would do anything to take away the momentum John has built up with T-Mobile.

From John's Fakebook yesterday.

I Can't say that I am happy about a merger.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast