Thread: FreedomPop SIM (ATT) slow elsewhere? Minneapolis almost unusable

Feedback Score

FreedomPop SIM (ATT) slow elsewhere? Minneapolis almost unusable

Minneapolis Minnesota 27-28 August (and likely earlier); Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone

Time taken to send a one word email (no attachment) was 2 hours last night. Today email with 3 MB photo attached is similarly sluggish, not yet sent. Phone calls sometimes succeed, just as often or more, they do not go through.

I have proven ability to make a phone call and to send an email (both of them with WiFi turned off), so it seems that my phone is properly configured. Conversely, with WiFi on, email is quick as usual, and Google Hangouts calling is pretty reliable.

Problem is, speed of email is so slow, and phone calls so prone to failing, that the service is practically useless.

Anyone else experiencing similar FreedomPop SIM behavior? (pretty sure it's using AT&T network, certain it's not Sprint, and don't know how to ascertain)

This SIM was purchased in May, 2017, and worked better in late June. I removed it and factory reset the phone during a lengthy foreign trip, then reinserted SIM and reinstalled the official FreedomPop Android "Messaging" app on 24 August (version 20.02.888.0728).

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    What APN do you have?

If it's foggmobile, that's the Global SIM, if it's fp.com.attz, it's the AT&T LTE SIM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I am not experiencing any slowdown with my FP AT&T LTE SIM.

You said "FreedomPop SIM (ATT)", so I'll guess that's the one you have, too.

I don't use any FP app. I use Hangouts for both phone calls and messaging, and both call and messages over data has been working normally. Email also sends and receives normally using K-9 Mail.

Have you run any speed tests with your FP SIM?

Do you have a different device that you could try the FP SIM card in to see if data speeds are any different with a different device? To try it without installing the FP app, just set the APN to fp.com.attz .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    What APN do you have?

If it's foggmobile, that's the Global SIM, if it's fp.com.attz, it's the AT&T LTE SIM.
    Thanks. Must be ATT 'cause APN is fp.com.attz.

Feedback Score
    I've found at&ts hspa virtually useless, even at -65 dbm it takes a full minute for a gv text to send, even carrier texts take forever, I've tried it in even larger cities with perfect coverage on multiple devices, same thing on net10 at&t. I know we're not allowed to call at&t out , only Verizon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I am not experiencing any slowdown with my FP AT&T LTE SIM.

You said "FreedomPop SIM (ATT)", so I'll guess that's the one you have, too.

I don't use any FP app. I use Hangouts for both phone calls and messaging, and both call and messages over data has been working normally. Email also sends and receives normally using K-9 Mail.

Have you run any speed tests with your FP SIM?

Do you have a different device that you could try the FP SIM card in to see if data speeds are any different with a different device? To try it without installing the FP app, just set the APN to fp.com.attz .
    While my anecdotal experience was pretty bad over the weekend, I have not run good tests yet, will try some today. An email sent this morning (Gmail app) went right through. Just have the one smartphone.

I use Hangouts when in wifi range but also want to be able to make calls out of wifi range, hence use of FreedomPop app. I wonder, is there is a better way than FreedomPop app to make calls using the FreedomPop MVNO (ATT) when not using wifi?

I'm still learning my way around strict use of a data plan to support voice calls. And FreedomPop aside, I'm not sure how most carriers support SMS--ie, using voice or data channels--need to look that up.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gponym View Post
    While my anecdotal experience was pretty bad over the weekend, I have not run good tests yet, will try some today. An email sent this morning (Gmail app) went right through. Just have the one smartphone.

I use Hangouts when in wifi range but also want to be able to make calls out of wifi range, hence use of FreedomPop app. I wonder, is there is a better way than FreedomPop app to make calls using the FreedomPop MVNO (ATT) when not using wifi?

I'm still learning my way around strict use of a data plan to support voice calls. And FreedomPop aside, I'm not sure how most carriers support SMS--ie, using voice or data channels--need to look that up.
    As I stated in my reply that you quoted, I DO NOT use any FP app. I use Hangouts for both phone calls and messaging.

To further clarify, it works well for me using either cellular data via a FP AT&T LTE SIM or WiFi.

Hangouts call quality may vary depending on your location and/or how well your particular phone works with Hangouts.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    I don't try to use the original "Global SIM" (3UK) for telephony. It's fine for casual browsing/email but it can produce a pretty awful "user experience" when used with a VOIP app, whether FP's own dialer or GV/Hangouts.

However, I've had pretty darn good luck using VOIP (whether via FP's own dialer or GV/Hangouts) with the ATT LTE SIM...

Feedback Score
    @Boz1: Thanks for clarifying that you use Hangouts via SIM (WAN). I did not know before this thread that I could do that. I tested today making a call with SIM and it worked, though call quality apparently can suffer compared to wifi--once I switched from SIM to wifi, I got no more complaints about quality.

Feedback Score
    Ran first speed tests from the Samsung Galaxy S6, using Ookla's speedtest.net app.

I'm running the test from Minneapolis, MN. At first, speedtest chose a San Francisco Bay Area test host; I ran 3 tests each against 2 hosts. I then turned on "High Accuracy" Location service for speedtest's benefit, and it chose a Minnesota host; I ran 3 tests against 1 host.

I have turned off wifi for the test.

The SF Bay Area results for download were majority 6-7 Mbps (but one in three were about 2 Mbps). Minnesota host was 3-4 Mbps.

For uploads, the SF Bay Area speeds were .3-.5 Mbps. Minnesota host was .5-.6 Mbps.

Ping was consistently 110-120 ms for SF Bay and about 150 ms for Minnesota hosts.

It proved impossible to perform a third test to Minnesota host over a 15-minute period at this moment. "Network communication issues" were reported by speedtest app. This seems to echo the problems I had over the weekend that led to starting this thread. I also tried to browse using Chrome at the moment and got a "you are offline" message there. That probably explains my confusion about whether freedompop is working for me. It works part of the time, and can be speedy enough, but simply fails to work part of the time.

Upload speeds during almost every test seemed to head toward zero not long into a test, and mostly stay there. This may be a test design artifact, or a carrier setting, or something to do with FreedomPop.

All in all, my experience is that FreedomPop works okay when it works, but suffers significant gaps in service. Reluctantly, I think I'll have to replace it. Paying for a 4GB plan in the US will hurt after just experiencing great EE service in Scotland for 15 pounds/month. :-(

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    On the off-chance that there is an issue with your phone, do you have another AT&T or unlocked phone that you could test with?

Regarding a plan with 4GB of data, I don't know how easy they are to find, but it has been reported that there are some Cricket groups that only cost $10/line, and include UT&T+4GB/mo.

The next closest that I can think of at the moment is Red Pocket's UT&T+3GB/mo for $255.00 + $4.52 shipping for a year of service, which is ~$21.63/mo, at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D50H1L2 .

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    On the off-chance that there is an issue with your phone, do you have another AT&T or unlocked phone that you could test with?

Regarding a plan with 4GB of data, I don't know how easy they are to find, but it has been reported that there are some Cricket groups that only cost $10/line, and include UT&T+4GB/mo.

The next closest that I can think of at the moment is Red Pocket's UT&T+3GB/mo for $255.00 + $4.52 shipping for a year of service, which is ~$21.63/mo, at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D50H1L2 .

Good luck!
    Just one phone, but it has performed admirably otherwise so I don't suspect extra difficulties with FP.

Thx for Cricket price teaser but at Cricket site, https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-ph...ew-2953-4.html, and http://www.androidauthority.com/cricket-plans-787292/ I saw nothing like $10.

Red Pocket sounds intriguing but will wait for another day: think I'll want more data, and no yearlong contract.