Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Domestic roaming limited to 2G?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Domestic roaming limited to 2G?

I just saw a Verizon commercial last night and noticed the fine print at the bottom says "Domestic data roaming at 2G speeds":

I checked Verizon's website, and it also says that. Does anyone know what this means? Has this been confirmed? Is domestic roaming limited to 2G speeds on the unlimited plans?

It also says the unlimited plans are "4G LTE only". What does that mean? The plans are only unlimited while connected to LTE?

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It also doesn't mention the 720p video throttle on their commercial.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here's one example: In western Maryland and parts of West Virginia, where Verizon has not built out their LTE network, you will roam on US Cellular's network. While roaming on US Cellular, the data connection is only 1X. That's the 2G speed the ad above is referring to.

Redwood Valley, Nor*Cal (Mendocino County)
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon roams EVDO in-market on U.S. Cellular in Verizon dead areas here in NorCal (Mendocino, Lake, Humboldt, Del Norte, Trinity, Siskiyou, Modoc, Lassen and Plumas Counties), and vice versa.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Regardless of the air interface are speeds throttled to "2G speeds," even on LTE or EVDO?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been roaming on Carolina West EVDO since the new plan and I was not throttled, nor was I throttled roaming on their LTE as native network.

Also the plans are still unlimited on EVDO as well, but I am not sure they will allow a 3G only device to be activated on them.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Here's one example: In western Maryland and parts of West Virginia, where Verizon has not built out their LTE network, you will roam on US Cellular's network. While roaming on US Cellular, the data connection is only 1X. That's the 2G speed the ad above is referring to.
    But the way they word it implies that all domestic roaming is limited to 2G speeds. Most of their domestic roaming is actually LTE or 3G. Why would they bother adding that fine print if most of their roaming is LTE?

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Regardless of the air interface are speeds throttled to "2G speeds," even on LTE or EVDO?
    That's what I'm wondering. Most of Verizon's domestic roaming is LTE. That's what makes their statement confusing.

Feedback Score
    I just want to point out none of this is new. This wording was added when they introduced the new unlimited plan back in february. https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com..._to_2g_speeds/

Feedback Score
    I've only have the 2G limit when my phone actually said "Extended 1x". But there have been times where my phone has said "Extended 3G" and even "Extended LTE", and the speeds were definitely faster than 2G.

Feedback Score
    It is really bad that in this day and age we are limited to a 2g connection when roaming. It is only useful for text and voice and isn't even useful for low bandwidth data operations such as checking email.

Shame on Verizon for not securing higher bandwidth roaming agreements!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Domestic roaming limited to 2G?

I’m in an LTE in Rural America area. I have full LTE and EVDO speeds and I am on the GoUnlimited Plan. No video throttle either.
    Current Device: Black iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    It is really bad that in this day and age we are limited to a 2g connection when roaming. It is only useful for text and voice and isn't even useful for low bandwidth data operations such as checking email.

Shame on Verizon for not securing higher bandwidth roaming agreements!!
    Oh the drama...
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    For many years I was happy to have anything at all when roaming. I do admit that as the years have passed, my dependence on data has increased (and I assume the same for everyone). So expectations do change.

In all things cellular (or maybe any market), unless the competition does it better, nothing changes. Virtually every carrier has what I'd term severe roaming limits. So even if Verizon's roaming is very limited in many places, it's as good or better than the alternatives.

The other game changer which I haven't yet witnessed anywhere I've been, is if T-Mobile (or any other carrier) actually builds native service where Verizon doesn't have any today. That pushes a competitive advantage that is real. Verizon may then feel compelled to offer some form of coverage in the same area (either build, or if possible permit roaming).

As one feels roaming limitations (perhaps more now than ever), it's really an advantage to whomever has the largest native network.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    For many years I was happy to have anything at all when roaming. I do admit that as the years have passed, my dependence on data has increased (and I assume the same for everyone). So expectations do change.

In all things cellular (or maybe any market), unless the competition does it better, nothing changes. Virtually every carrier has what I'd term severe roaming limits. So even if Verizon's roaming is very limited in many places, it's as good or better than the alternatives.

The other game changer which I haven't yet witnessed anywhere I've been, is if T-Mobile (or any other carrier) actually builds native service where Verizon doesn't have any today. That pushes a competitive advantage that is real. Verizon may then feel compelled to offer some form of coverage in the same area (either build, or if possible permit roaming).

As one feels roaming limitations (perhaps more now than ever), it's really an advantage to whomever has the largest native network.

-Dan
    I was originally happy just to have 1x roaming with slow but working data. After a few trips of this I decided I needed high speed data where I was going, and ended up moving on to one of the big two. All the roaming I experienced on AT&T was actually all pretty decent HSPA and LTE on Viaero. This spring I roamed on Bluegrass which was great minus the part where coverage was somewhat spotty and slow most places, but still beat that 1x crap I used to deal with elsewhere.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    The other game changer which I haven't yet witnessed anywhere I've been, is if T-Mobile (or any other carrier) actually builds native service where Verizon doesn't have any today.
    I don't understand where this belief comes from that Verizon has coverage everywhere and other carriers wish they could have as much coverage as Verizon. Maybe Verizon's marketing?

There are a lot of areas where AT&T has coverage and Verizon doesn't. I can list them all if you want.

There are even some areas where T-Mobile and Sprint have coverage and Verizon doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast