Thread: Band 4 and Band 66 ?

Feedback Score

Band 4 and Band 66 ?

What is the difference?And is Band 66 even live?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Band 4 is AWS blocks A-F whereas Band 66 is an expanded AWS band that includes the Band 4 blocks but adds blocks G-J.

I don't think Verizon has turned on Band 66 anywhere but they are installing B66 RRHs widespread so if it's anything like their previous upgrades they'll probably wait until most of the country/markets are covered before turning it on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Band 66 is a superset of Band 4. It includes all blocks of B4 plus a few more.

B66 can be broadcasted as B4 with MBFI (multi band frequency indicator) but cannot be done vice versa (B4 -> B66) as B4 consists of fewer blocks.

Some markets might have B66 live but I'm not really sure where. Haven't seen anything public.

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Band 4 is AWS blocks A-F whereas Band 66 is an expanded AWS band that includes the Band 4 blocks but adds blocks G-J.

I don't think Verizon has turned on Band 66 anywhere but they are installing B66 RRHs widespread so if it's anything like their previous upgrades they'll probably wait until most of the country/markets are covered before turning it on.
    Why hasn’t Verizon turned on any Band 66? It would definitely help Galaxy S8 users and potentially alleviate some congestion if enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLink View Post
    Band 66 is a superset of Band 4. It includes all blocks of B4 plus a few more.

B66 can be broadcasted as B4 with MBFI (multi band frequency indicator) but cannot be done vice versa (B4 -> B66) as B4 consists of fewer blocks.

Some markets might have B66 live but I'm not really sure where. Haven't seen anything public.
    If they use MFBI could Band 4 devices use the blocks from the new Band 66?

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    Why hasn’t Verizon turned on any Band 66? It would definitely help Galaxy S8 users and potentially alleviate some congestion if enabled.

Because it requires a radio swap in some cases and isn't worth the effort to do it yet when GS8 use is so low (comparatively speaking to let's say the S7 and iPhone 6/6s/7) and there aren't many other devices that support it. Once the iPhone 7s/8 have 66 I'm sure they will jump on it.

If they use MFBI could Band 4 devices use the blocks from the new Band 66?

No. It's a physical RF design thing. They don't support the filters to start with. Think of how the Nexus 4 only had filters for AWS LTE. 66 devices can access 4 though without actually having B4 support technically. Sort of like AT&T Band 12 devices supporting 700 MHz without having Band 17.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Because it requires a radio swap in some cases and isn't worth the effort to do it yet when GS8 use is so low (comparatively speaking to let's say the S7 and iPhone 6/6s/7) and there aren't many other devices that support it. Once the iPhone 7s/8 have 66 I'm sure they will jump on it.

No. It's a physical RF design thing. They don't support the filters to start with. Think of how the Nexus 4 only had filters for AWS LTE. 66 devices can access 4 though without actually having B4 support technically. Sort of like AT&T Band 12 devices supporting 700 MHz without having Band 17.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully Band 66 will help Verizon handle the new Unlimited plans better.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So just to be clear, it is not physically possible for Samsung to release a firmware update to enable band 66 in a previous phone such as the SM-G930U SM-G935U?

Feedback Score
    I sure hope you get an answer to this question because I've been trying to get an answer to for a year.

It sure seems like that between the carrier and the phone manufacturer, one of them could enable other LTE bands on a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    So just to be clear, it is not physically possible for Samsung to release a firmware update to enable band 66 in a previous phone such as the SM-G930U SM-G935U?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    I sure hope you get an answer to this question because I've been trying to get an answer to for a year.

It sure seems like that between the carrier and the phone manufacturer, one of them could enable other LTE bands on a phone.
    That all depends on the RF properties. We have now learned that Qualcomm cannot enable the T-Mobile 600MHz band in any existing phone, for a variety of reasons. Only new hardware will do the job. Hopefully that isn't the case with band 66.

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Yep, you'll have to buy new UE for Band 66 support. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. Maybe wait for iPhone 8/8s Galaxy S9/Note 9 where you'll not only have 66 but LAA support and 4/5CA and UL CA on many more FDD bands. I would upgrade every 2 years.

Feedback Score
    Glad I came across this thread, I could have sworn VZW had AWS-3 license here in the Cincinnati market, so I decided to check, but didn't see any documentation indicating we do.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesito418 View Post
    Glad I came across this thread, I could have sworn VZW had AWS-3 license here in the Cincinnati market, so I decided to check, but didn't see any documentation indicating we do.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
    That's correct vzw didn't purchase any AWS-3 Licenses in the Cincinnati market.