Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data on Cricket going downhill

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Data on Cricket going downhill

Noticed recently that data coverage in Worcester, MA has been tanking big time. Often zippo for upload speed (as determined by the Speedtest app (all while having decent signal strength). Sometimes zippo for download speed. Most of this happens when I'm on LTE band 2 or 4. I have a Nexus 6P which I think can handle any of the LTE bands that AT&T utilizes, however I'm often left on Band 2 or 4. Sometimes when I toggle Airplane Mode I'll get a different band and will have somewhat better data.
    I strongly suspect that AT&T's towers are becoming more and more congested an that AT&T is shuffling Cricket customers over to the more overloaded bands while possibly keeping AT&T proper customers on the less congested bands. I've done multiple reports via the AT&T "Mark the spot" app, but still crap.

Feedback Score
    I think this is very regional depending on location. I have Verizon prepaid and just the other day, I was having a very hard time sending / receiving hangouts messages on my Verizon phone. I pulled out my Cricket phone and bam, instant messaging via Hangouts (same account) on Cricket, right next to Verizon, both with 3-4 bars.

So in my experience over the last week or two, in actual use, Cricket has been much faster than my Verizon line, which is crazy because on speedtest my Verizon line is 10 times faster than Cricket (80 - 90 mbps down, compared to 8-9 mbps on Cricket). This is why I'm such a big fan of Cricket... despite the 8mbps throttling, regular use has shown it to be more practical and better in some circumstances (more often than I'd expect!)

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $45 / 8 GB
    Feedback Score
    I don't know much about MA, but here in central FL, Cricket works well, I run through VPN both on and off, streaming video inside buildings with no issue as it has been before, the fact alone video streaming indoor is enough said about quality of Cricket service.
    I think it really depends on what time and day certain congestion or so happened, I also have slow days but the service still work, not spinning and buffering endlessly, it's just slower but it still works. No complaints for $35 /8 GB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    I don't know much about MA, but here in central FL, Cricket works well. No complaints for $35 /8 GB
    Does that $35 allow you to do a Hotspot? Was that a special price for your store only?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative1 View Post
    Does that $35 allow you to do a Hotspot? Was that a special price for your store only?

See here - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...e-hotspot.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Great. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Per the Cricket website, the 4gb and lower plans DO NOT have Hotspot. Also 8gb plan shows $45, not $35. From the Cricket plans page:

4 GB plan includes:

4 GB*high-speed data access*with speeds up to 4G LTE; speeds reduced after allowance is used

Unlimited calls, texts and picture messages across the U.S.

Plan Compatibility

Incompatible with Mobile Hotspot and international features

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Hotspotting is apparently not part of every plan according to the plans page. Even the unlimited plan is still indicating "no" Hotspot. The 8gb is one of the only ones allowing it.
    --------------------------------
    $55/mo*after Auto Pay credit*
    (Credit not available with Group Save Discounts)

Unlimited plan includes:

Unlimited*high-speed data access**with speeds up to 4G LTE

Unlimited calls, texts and picture messages across the U.S.

Unlimited texts from the U.S. to*38 countries

Data access plus unlimited calls, texts and picture messages to and from Mexico, Canada and the U.S. (Min. 50% U.S. usage required.)

Plan Compatibility

Incompatible with Mobile Hotspot

**After 22 GB of data usage, Cricket may temporarily slow speeds.*To learn more, visit*Important Information Regarding Data Speed, Usage and Network Management. For more information on Cricket's mobile broadband service, see*Mobile Broadband Information.

Feedback Score
    They can indicate whatever they want, the device itself is what allows hotspot or not. If you can change the 0 to a 1 on that particular line in a particular text file on your device it works. If you can't, then you have to pay cricket to use data you're already paying for.

As for speeds, in SE FL during congestion times I've noticed that stuff has slowed some. Still works fine but a bit slower. My line was one of the last to migrate to the new AT&T proxy and I'm sure that has something to do with it. All of the big boys are feeling the networks slow a bit with the expansion of unlimited data.

Feedback Score
    Ouch, net 10 doubled their data allotments on all 4 networks, Cricket though!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Ouch, net 10 doubled their data allotments on all 4 networks, Cricket though!!!!
    Who the f*** is net 10? I get that you're here to troll Cricket, just trying a little too hard, b1geast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Who the f*** is net 10? I get that you're here to troll Cricket, just trying a little too hard, b1geast.
    Smoke another one..

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've tried Net 10 in the past, of course it's owned by Slim, since it's an MVNO it's the same as whoever towers they run off of, but customer service is the absolute worst. I'm not a fan of crickets cs either, although it's been months since I've contacted them about anything, but cricket by far surpasses net 10 with customer service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    It's called intelligent, constructive discussion and service comparisons. You should try it sometimes...if you're intelligent enough. You sound like an overly defensive Cricket employee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative1 View Post
    It's called intelligent, constructive discussion and service comparisons. You should try it sometimes...if you're intelligent enough. You sound like an overly defensive Cricket employee.

nice try, b1geast alternate personality #3?

In the remote possibility you're not b1geast, you should know that we deal with a persistent Cricket troll who posts crap like that on many Cricket threads, so anything that's said like that is not taken seriously here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast