Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Verizon's response to Hurricane Harvey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    58
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Qualcomm version
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon 2006-2009, AT&T 2009-2016, Verizon 2016-Now
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon's response to Hurricane Harvey

    How has the network held up during the storm?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    143
    Feedback Score
    0
    My aunt said it crapped out. .. So did at&t and T-Mobile.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    58
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Qualcomm version
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon 2006-2009, AT&T 2009-2016, Verizon 2016-Now
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    My aunt said it crapped out. .. So did at&t and T-Mobile.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Really, interesting

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    143
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by drueburgendy View Post
    Really, interesting
    Shockingly Sprint was the one that kinda worked cuz her husband has Sprint
    She has Verizon and her sisters have at&t and T-Mobile. She and her sisters had problems ,while Sprint kinda worked .

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,937
    Feedback Score
    0
    The WSJ reported that 4% of towers went out, some of those towers were not accessible. No idea how many towers for each carrier went out though.

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/cell-ne...ake-1503792185

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    278
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Expect a lot of press releases from all the major carriers touting the resilience of their networks with only few outages. Lot of beautiful pictures of mobile command centers, generators, COWs, COLTs, etc., etc.

    At the same time, there will be a bunch of anecdotal stories of no or limited service from users.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    54
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    FWIW. Today's FCC status page says 365 of 7805 sites or 4.7% are down.

    https://www.fcc.gov/harvey

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,532
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Only 160 of 3,131 sites reported down in Harris county. The only reason more aren't down is because I would imagine given everyone knows that place is flood prone, all the carrier equipment is built on higher ground or on high platforms. If Harvey had been a direct hit that number would be FAR higher.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    554
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon's response to Hurricane Harvey

    https://www.rcrwireless.com/20170828...ne-harvey-tag6

    Depending how you spin it each Carriers Report is an interesting expose of their disaster preparedness.
    Verizon says we build our towers on stilts and have fuel in our generators.
    AT&T closed their stores and fueled their generators and got backup crews ready to go.
    Sprint says the only sites down were affected by a power outage.
    T-mobile was planning on getting the backup generators out.

    Makes you wonder how many sites Sprint actually has down there or why T-mobile has no generators and has to bring them in.

    And as alway Verizon and AT&T "appear" the most disaster ready.

    Anyway probably more than cell phones, folks will be needing, clean water and houses once the waters recede. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.
    Last edited by techfranz; 08-29-2017 at 08:47 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,342
    Feedback Score
    0
    Does anyone have speedtest results from site online in Huston area? I feel like 4G is a critical life safety infrastructure and there should be better reporting on this so we can learn how to improve it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,630
    Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Only 160 of 3,131 sites reported down in Harris county. The only reason more aren't down is because I would imagine given everyone knows that place is flood prone, all the carrier equipment is built on higher ground or on high platforms. If Harvey had been a direct hit that number would be FAR higher.
    So I guess fiber is fine running underwater? It's weird to have data traveling through a flood and then back up again. Also, will we see more towers down over the next few days as diesel tanks run out if they are not accessible for fuel trucks to go and re-fuel them? When a site goes off grid power, does it continuously run the generator, or does it automatically start and stop it as needed to keep the lead-acid bank charged up?

    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Makes you wonder how many sites Sprint actually has down there or why T-mobile has no generators and has to bring them in.

    And as alway Verizon and AT&T "appear" the most disaster ready.

    Anyway probably more than cell phones, folks will be needing, clean water and houses once the waters recede. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.
    T-Mobile tends to just not have generators at their sites. Houston is probably not a place where you see long power outages very often too.

    That is absolutely true, but at the same time, cell networks are absolutely critical for efficiently distributing emergency resources, getting news and information out, finding friends/neighbors/relatives, and a whole bunch of other things to help coordinate the relief effort.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    554
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    That is absolutely true, but at the same time, cell networks are absolutely critical for efficiently distributing emergency resources, getting news and information out, finding friends/neighbors/relatives, and a whole bunch of other things to help coordinate the relief effort.
    Yes agreed, Cellular communication is vital and disaster readiness should be reviewed/documented/improved.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,894
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    So I guess fiber is fine running underwater? It's weird to have data traveling through a flood and then back up again. Also, will we see more towers down over the next few days as diesel tanks run out if they are not accessible for fuel trucks to go and re-fuel them? When a site goes off grid power, does it continuously run the generator, or does it automatically start and stop it as needed to keep the lead-acid bank charged up?
    Generators stay on until power is restored.

    Fiber theoretically should be fine underwater as long as the cable is not compromised. It can be run above or underground. Also service is dependent on the CO or RT running. If the provider's head end floods, any connected lines including cell sites will go offline.

    There were a few counties in Texas along the coast where 94% of cell sites were down.

    If cell sites are not able to be refueled they will eventually go offline.

    Telco CO's typically have priority refueling because they connect local emergency lines and cell sites. CO's typically can stay up for a week or longer depending on the size.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,894
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Yes agreed, Cellular communication is vital and disaster readiness should be reviewed/documented/improved.
    There are only so many steps a provider can take to Ready their network. Verizon seems to have taken the proper steps.

    In reality, emergency personnel will typically setup some sort of ground radio and someone will have a satellite phone as those are unaffected by these storms.

    Cell networks shouldn't be relied on in times of disaster.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    54
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon commits $10 million to support Hurricane Harvey relief efforts

    http://www.verizon.com/about/news/ve...relief-efforts

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 01:41 AM
  2. Verizon: "Any Apps, Any Device", response to Android?
    By veedubbx in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
  3. Verizon's response to "Jitterbug?"
    By chakos151 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 09:16 AM
  4. Verizon's response to 8100 camera issue
    By KaneRobot in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 05:16 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 01:04 AM

Bookmarks