Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Mobile’s LTE will be available in all its Ontario markets by August 31

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Freedom Mobile’s LTE will be available in all its Ontario markets by August 31

Source: https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/29/f...tario-markets/

Almost one year after the company rebranded and announced its LTE network, Freedom Mobile has nearly completed its rollout in Ontario.

MobileSyrup has obtained internal documents that show Freedom Mobile’s LTE coverage will be available in all its Ontario markets as of August 31st, 2017, with further development to come.

Band 66 coverage will be added to Windsor, London and Barrie, while band 4 coverage will be available in Peterborough and Kingston.

The band 4 frequency is far more common than band 66. Band 4’s introduction to Peterborough and Kingston are positive signs that Freedom Mobile might have plans to expand their LTE coverage to more accessible frequencies.

Band 66 is still only available on a handful of devices, and many of those devices are costly, premium-tier flagship phones.

Still, Freedom has been making a point of selling more affordable phones, like the Moto E4, that support band 66 LTE.

While this is certainly great news for customer’s living in Freedom’s Ontario markets, it’s important to remember that the company’s network is not available in every part of the province.

The documents make no mention of when Freedom’s LTE expansion in its other provincial markets will be complete.
    Freedom Mobile
    Line 1:
    $59 LTE Plan for 45$
    Line 2: $45 Unlimited everything a month $45

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Former Mobilicity Subscriber)
    Feedback Score
    This sounds completely ridiculous considering they are sitting on new spectrum that can be accessed by every phone out there, at least 2015-onward.
    Last edited by Driver8666; 08-29-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I agree but Peterborough and Kingston, OTw only have band 4,

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would imagine as soon as the rollout of LTE is done they'll move on, in a similar pattern to rollout the new bands

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markf_2 View Post
    I would imagine as soon as the rollout of LTE is done they'll move on, in a similar pattern to rollout the new bands

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app
    Won't work like that. Bands 7, 13 and 17 first, then 66, then VoLTE and finally VoWiFi. While they are scratching their heads on that, they can also get Apple to certify the network. This benefits everyone. For Band 66, any phone that's equipped with 1, 2 or all 3 of those bands, they can be used as a fallback for Band 66. I would keep the HSPA network as a last resort fallback however.

Shaw will be forced to do those 3 first if they ever hope of Apple certifying the network. This press release makes it sound like the are favouring those devices, when they should be creating a level playing field for everyone. Band 66 for an iPhone is definitely not happening for at least maybe a couple of years. If Shaw were to go to Apple and say "we want you to put Band 66 in a future iPhone", I bet you dollars to doughnuts, Tim Cook will tell Shaw to **** off.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    This sounds completely ridiculous considering they are sitting on new spectrum that can be accessed by every phone out there, at least 2015-onward.
    Only in Toronto...

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Won't work like that. Bands 7, 13 and 17 first, then 66, then VoLTE and finally VoWiFi. While they are scratching their heads on that, they can also get Apple to certify the network. This benefits everyone. For Band 66, any phone that's equipped with 1, 2 or all 3 of those bands, they can be used as a fallback for Band 66. I would keep the HSPA network as a last resort fallback however.

Shaw will be forced to do those 3 first if they ever hope of Apple certifying the network. This press release makes it sound like the are favouring those devices, when they should be creating a level playing field for everyone. Band 66 for an iPhone is definitely not happening for at least maybe a couple of years. If Shaw were to go to Apple and say "we want you to put Band 66 in a future iPhone", I bet you dollars to doughnuts, Tim Cook will tell Shaw to **** off.
    Very doubtful, especially considering this article, unless I read it incorrectly, is stating that it's the B66 spectrum that's getting rolled out by the 31st

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app
    Damn!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I will update my OP / this comment once lte his kingston.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Band 66 for an iPhone is definitely not happening for at least maybe a couple of years
    I think we'll see B66 on Apple products sooner than that, possibly not the next iPhone, but more than likely at least the one after that, not because of Shaw, but B66 is an important chunk of spectrum for US operators (some of whom are in dire need of extra capacity) all of the big three there have some significant B66 holdings they are deploying by end of year.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    True.

It wasn't Shaw that got band 66 on all of the devices that have it now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    I think we'll see B66 on Apple products sooner than that, possibly not the next iPhone, but more than likely at least the one after that, not because of Shaw, but B66 is an important chunk of spectrum for US operators (some of whom are in dire need of extra capacity) all of the big three there have some significant B66 holdings they are deploying by end of year.
    T-Mobile and Band 12 is the reference point for this. It's not going to happen. It might, but don't count on it yet. They also have extremely brutal requirements regarding service if a band is to be included in.

If we are talking about the iPhone X (X is being used as a variable), you cannot have any of the problems that our OnePlus 5 or any other users with unlocked phones that can access Band 66 have. If the 8 eventually has an S variant, you might. But for the iPhone X, we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Driver8666; 08-30-2017 at 01:20 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Only in Toronto...

It's the air here sir, it's the wonderful air. But what I said is the way they should do it. They could lump it in all at once, but that gives more time for mistakes.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It's the air here sir, it's the wonderful air. But what I said is the way they should do it. They could lump it in all at once, but that gives more time for mistakes.
    Rumour has it that band 7 and 12 will be up by Christmas.

They do need room to grow in the B.S. ( big smoke)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    Very doubtful, especially considering this article, unless I read it incorrectly, is stating that it's the B66 spectrum that's getting rolled out by the 31st

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app
    Like I said, Shaw will be forced to do it in this order:
    VoLTE
    VoWiFi

No other way around it. You want to get the legacy devices that have at least Band 7 on LTE. 13 and 17 if they have the spectrum for it can be worked on at the same time, and they can get certification from Apple to clear up the red tape. One of those can be used as a fallback for 66. Right now, you don't except for the HSPA network which I would leave in place until you are forced to decommission it.

Obviously some bright **** at Shaw thought that way. If they continue down that path, it's more unlikely Apple will certify the network. As I said before if Apple certifies the network, this benefits everyone. But Band 66 has to work without modification. Right now, there is no iPhone that has this, so we have to sit out. We're learning the problems from you Android users.

7, 13 and 17 reference the spectrum purchased from Videotron. Even if it's incorrect. The majority of users want the new spectrum lit up first and then Band 66 from what I read. Right now, Shaw is sitting on the spectrum and not even using it. This will cost them in the long run.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Just want to point out for Driver8666 that Shaw doesn't have any band 17. Just band 13 (block C1) for low band spectrum.

Edit: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf11311.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast