Thread: Will an unbranded factory unlocked Note 8 work with Wi-Fi calling?

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Will an unbranded factory unlocked Note 8 work with Wi-Fi calling?

Will an unbranded factory unlocked Note 8 work with Wi-Fi calling? I am purchasing my Note 8 directly from Samsung and I wanted to buy the unlocked version of it. Will this phone work with WiFi calling on AT&T network.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think so. In short, the answer is no?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eprius View Post
    I think so. In short, the answer is no?

While it may to some extent be possible, it's much more technical than the average user would be able to comprehend. For the sake of simplicity, and for lack of definitive proof, let's say the answer is no.

However, check out what productfred had to say on that thread, as it appears that with a buttload of configuration, and carrier blessing (he got AT&T to manually enable VoLTE/WiFi Calling), he was able to get an international S7 to work with VoLTE and WiFi Calling.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Short answer is no. The Reddit poster made it sound like there is some super complex thing that AT&T has to do to phones to make them work with VoLTE and VoWiFi, which is completely ridiculous and untrue. Verizon and T-Mobile will support VoLTE and VoWiFi on unlocked devices, it's simply a matter of allowing the account to access that feature. AT&T is filtering by IMEI, which is purely a business/anti-consumer decision and has no technical basis. People have taken a SIM out of an AT&T phone, dropped it in an unlocked phone, and made a call on VoLTE. The problem is that AT&T's system picks it up as an IMEI not in their database, and kicks it off of the VoLTE network within a minute or two.

AT&T does allow unbranded/unlocked iPhones and I think some model of HTC phone to access VoLTE and I *think* VoWiFi, but that's entirely an arbitrary/contractual distinction, i.e. Apple is more powerful and forced AT&T to allow it, and who knows how HTC got in there.

Verizon has their own special version of unbranded/unlocked phone purgatory, where they will not enable the global day pass on unbranded/unlocked phones, which is equally as bizarre as AT&T's refusal to enable VoLTE/VoWiFi. T-Mobile is the only truly unlocked/unbranded device friendly network, FWIW.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Short answer is no. The Reddit poster made it sound like there is some super complex thing that AT&T has to do to phones to make them work with VoLTE and VoWiFi, which is completely ridiculous and untrue. Verizon and T-Mobile will support VoLTE and VoWiFi on unlocked devices, it's simply a matter of allowing the account to access that feature. AT&T is filtering by IMEI, which is purely a business/anti-consumer decision and has no technical basis. People have taken a SIM out of an AT&T phone, dropped it in an unlocked phone, and made a call on VoLTE. The problem is that AT&T's system picks it up as an IMEI not in their database, and kicks it off of the VoLTE network within a minute or two.
    I'm the top comment on that post, and it's not as simple as that, but you've got part of it. There's a buttload of configuration that has to be implemented at the device level (IMS profile) to not only utilize a carrier's IMS platform, but to use it well. I went through and took screenshots of my IMS profile for ATT VoLTE, and was surprised at just how much has to be configured. Sure, the vast majority of it is probably generic or otherwise unimportant, but there is configuration that's specific per carrier. This, coupled with modem configuration, which in cases of phones that support VoLTE, isn't an issue most of the time (or something that needs to be looked into). Yes, the billing system and IMEI database dictate whether AT&T will provision IMS to a device (and to the SIM card) or not, but there are devices that flat-out won't utilize IMS provisioning because the configuration for the carrier isn't there. Take the Google Pixel; it supports IMS on multiple carriers, but people have done SIM swaps on AT&T with a known working IMS registration, and the Pixel ignores it. It's not all carrier-side, some of it's device side.

Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    AT&T does allow unbranded/unlocked iPhones and I think some model of HTC phone to access VoLTE and I *think* VoWiFi, but that's entirely an arbitrary/contractual distinction, i.e. Apple is more powerful and forced AT&T to allow it, and who knows how HTC got in there.

Verizon has their own special version of unbranded/unlocked phone purgatory, where they will not enable the global day pass on unbranded/unlocked phones, which is equally as bizarre as AT&T's refusal to enable VoLTE/VoWiFi. T-Mobile is the only truly unlocked/unbranded device friendly network, FWIW.
    AT&T allows iPhones access to IMS because Apple most likely provides their entire IMEI range to every carrier and says "our iPhones work on all carriers, we don't need to provide carrier-specific IMEI ranges". Of course, because they have the market share they do, carriers comply. Not only because of this, but also because Apple has developed a wonderful carrier provisioning system that is separate from the operating system of iOS devices, and as a result, carriers can build a profile for IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, RCS & Video Calling - which Apple hasn't implemented for carriers yet) and deploy it based off of the inserted SIM. Android devices don't have this automagical carrier provisioning system, and SIM cards don't contain all of the configuration, hence why IMS usually doesn't work with carriers like AT&T.

It's not as simple as some think, as there is so much going on in the background. Us users see a simple on/off switch for Enhanced 4G LTE Services, and think if it's not there, it's something directly with the carrier and not a device problem. Reasons like this are why carriers don't support unlocked/non-carrier devices

Also, HTC A9, HTC 10, LeEco LePro 3, Axon 7, Nokia 6, and a few others support VoLTE, so it's expanded a bit.

Feedback Score

Using on unlocked Samsung Note 8 on T-Mobile wi-fi

Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    I'm the top comment on that post, and it's not as simple as that, but you've got part of it. There's a buttload of configuration that has to be implemented at the device level (IMS profile) to not only utilize a carrier's IMS platform, but to use it well. I went through and took screenshots of my IMS profile for ATT VoLTE, and was surprised at just how much has to be configured. Sure, the vast majority of it is probably generic or otherwise unimportant, but there is configuration that's specific per carrier. This, coupled with modem configuration, which in cases of phones that support VoLTE, isn't an issue most of the time (or something that needs to be looked into). Yes, the billing system and IMEI database dictate whether AT&T will provision IMS to a device (and to the SIM card) or not, but there are devices that flat-out won't utilize IMS provisioning because the configuration for the carrier isn't there. Take the Google Pixel; it supports IMS on multiple carriers, but people have done SIM swaps on AT&T with a known working IMS registration, and the Pixel ignores it. It's not all carrier-side, some of it's device side.

AT&T allows iPhones access to IMS because Apple most likely provides their entire IMEI range to every carrier and says "our iPhones work on all carriers, we don't need to provide carrier-specific IMEI ranges". Of course, because they have the market share they do, carriers comply. Not only because of this, but also because Apple has developed a wonderful carrier provisioning system that is separate from the operating system of iOS devices, and as a result, carriers can build a profile for IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, RCS & Video Calling - which Apple hasn't implemented for carriers yet) and deploy it based off of the inserted SIM. Android devices don't have this automagical carrier provisioning system, and SIM cards don't contain all of the configuration, hence why IMS usually doesn't work with carriers like AT&T.

It's not as simple as some think, as there is so much going on in the background. Us users see a simple on/off switch for Enhanced 4G LTE Services, and think if it's not there, it's something directly with the carrier and not a device problem. Reasons like this are why carriers don't support unlocked/non-carrier devices

Also, HTC A9, HTC 10, LeEco LePro 3, Axon 7, Nokia 6, and a few others support VoLTE, so it's expanded a bit.

I was planning to buy Samsung Note 88 unlocked from Samsung, but I need to know if the Note 8 will be capable to do Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile network.
    I have unlocked S7 edge and S8+ and these do not work with T-Mobile Wi-Fi.
    Is there a mod that I could do to enable?
    Does new Note 8 have the necessary OS provisions?
    VS

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Yet T-Mobile and Verizon seem to have no problem enabling VoLTE on unbranded devices. Sprint doesn't have VoLTE, so AT&T is the long carrier that refuses to allow VoLTE to function on unbranded devices. In fact, people have SIM swapped, and many devices will work on VoLTE for a few minutes, and then AT&T kicks them off of VoLTE just because they have an unknown IMEI. This is clearly a business decision, not a technical decision by AT&T. EVen if there is an issue with configuration files, devices like the unlocked S7/S8 would work, since AT&T already sells the same phone with the same software on it (except for more AT&T bloat), so they already have everything they need to make it work. And even if the Pixel or Moto G or Moto E or Moto X is doing something non-standard, T-Mobile and Verizon have gotten them to work, so AT&T should be able to do the same.

Right, this is a business decision, since Apple is more powerful than the carriers. I would think Samsung is too, but apparently they just don't care that much about this, whereas Apple wants everything to work on any iPhone no matter who sold it or if it was Unlocked/unbranded.

Ok, so AT&T has expanded it a bit. Why not flip the switch on the S7/S8? Because they want you to buy the AT&T version that is crippled and doesn't have B13 LTE in it, so that you can't switch to Verizon, and doesn't have all the AT&T crapware on it that they can use to cross-sell you other services. Maybe eventually the engineering folks will get through and convince the bean counters to stop being so anti-consumer, and at least flip the switch on devices that they already support in their entirety. There are also a lot of really popular devices that they are missing support for, namely the Moto lineup and the Pixel series.

They are either incompetent, or have made a calculated decision that the lock-in and cross-sell that they get by keeping people captive on their devices is worth more than the customers that they lose to T-Mobile and Verizon over this issue.

I have no clue what Verizon's problem is with Travel Pass, that one is even more bizarre, it's easy to see how it could be massive incompetence in programming the feature, or anti-consumer behavior.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7, iPhone 6+, Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I've been rocking an Axon 7 since March and no VoLTE on AT&T. I even tried a rep and the billing department said the phone was incompatible with VoLTE on AT&T. How can I get that enabled? I had it in my previous iPhone and it was great.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You would have to program the settings via Service Mode...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Kyocera 3035
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad7777 View Post
    I was planning to buy Samsung Note 88 unlocked from Samsung, but I need to know if the Note 8 will be capable to do Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile network.
    I have unlocked S7 edge and S8+ and these do not work with T-Mobile Wi-Fi.
    Is there a mod that I could do to enable?
    Does new Note 8 have the necessary OS provisions?
    Sorry i havent followed all that is in this thread - just stumbled upon it looking for something similar. I just bought an unlocked note 8 from best buy and it worked right out of the box on tmobile with wifi calling. just popped in my sim from my old note 4 rebooted and it worked immediately after restarting. Made a call from my house, which doesnt have any tmobile network access, over wifi. F'in ayyy! It even brought up a congratulations notification that i made my first wifi call from the phone. Simply amazing!

Feedback Score
    Hi.

I live on a block in Park Slope, Brooklyn, that gets HORRIBLE phone reception regardless of the carrier. Like NONE in my apartment. And my unlocked Galaxy Note4 does not even have Wifi Calling as an option. When I go in to where instructions say it is - it ain't there.

I am here to say that I just went to Best Buy and bought the Samsung Galaxy Note8 unlocked by Samsung to use with my Metro PCS $40 a month account. And I was prepared to return it if WiFi Calling did not work.

It DOES work. But I almost didn't realize it.

I was told that if I used Metro PCS (or T-Mobile) that I should take it to one of their stores and get the new sim card (different size from the Note4, and costs $25 plus $15 fee) and have my phone "set up" so I could use Wi-fi calling.

The guys at the shop got the card to work and my phone's ID number registered with Metro PCS, but when I mentioned they were supposed to turn on WiFi Calling they had not a clue how to. So I said I would go home and try it out and come back if there was an issue.

I looked up instructions: Go to Settings - Connections - More Connections and..... there is no "Wi-Fi Calling" to turn on or off. Nada. Nyet. Nuthin, just like my Note4.

Crushed, I thought I would try to make a call anyway, just to see if my phone reception was any better with this phone. And the call went through!

And when I hung up, I got a message saying something like "Congratulations! You just completed your first Wi-Fi Calling telephone call."

So, apparently, it is automatically on and defaults to Wi-Fi calling when there isn't a good signal for cell reception. But, also apparently it does require some sort of activation at a Metro PCS store before it will work.

Once upon a time I could call when near a window at the back or front of the house and on good days actually sit on my sofa and make and receive calls. That ended in June or July when everyone in my building lost their reception regardless of the carrier. I cannot even make a call on the street, I have to pass the cross-street on either side of my and go another half block before I can dial phone numbers and have them go through.

But now, I have Wi-Fi calling FINALLY and can have a phone in my own home. Yes this little television with a phone in it is very expensive, especially for one who has never once used up his 2GB a month data allowance. But I got it on the 24 mo. no interest plan, and I work from home, so I need my phone.

I joined the forum because of this thread. But I have heard of it for some time and will happily read it more now.