Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: FreedomPop has a new policy on FreedomPop Friends and sharing data

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    D/FW, TX
    Posts
    800
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 3T, Nexus 5X , Moto E 2015
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, FreedomPop, MintSIM, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0

    FreedomPop has a new policy on FreedomPop Friends and sharing data

    Now if you meet the 500Mb limit threshold on your account with FreedomPop friends, you will no longer be able to receive any additional data as gifts. 500Mb is the new limit period.

    Source: https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...186/kw/friends

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,126
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    Now if you meet the 500Mb limit threshold on your account with FreedomPop friends, you will no longer be able to receive any additional data as gifts. 500Mb is the new limit period.

    Source: https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...186/kw/friends
    Well...that's a bummer! If that new policy sticks, guess I need to come up with a new strategy! Like maybe a TRIPLE SIM card adapter to take the place of my current double SIM card adapter!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,856
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's a dying company

    Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,304
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So 600 MB usable. Time to sell off those global sim cards.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,126
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Exactly! As I've said in multiple threads here...if FreedomPop makes changes I don't like, I'll complain about it a little bit, but I'll adjust!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    196
    Device(s)
    LeEco S3
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone + Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    680mb. Sim card safeguard is 20mb , unlike CDMA 100mb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,126
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by min1968 View Post
    680mb. Sim card safeguard is 20mb , unlike CDMA 100mb
    That's right, for the FP GSM SIM cards. Thanks for the reminder!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Viewing the changes critically, FP is walking a tightrope in squeezing its non-paying userbase. Don't squeeze = heavy freeloading load. But squeeze too hard = negative PR spreading.

    FP's primary marketing is still mainly through word-of-mouth, in which bargain sites like SD/FW play a large role. If FP kills all the perks--eg, zero Friends bonus--it'll face a mass exodus, including paying users. As it is, FP already incurs a significant amount of negative PR from the forums (including here). If it goes too far, neg PR will increase to a point where these cheap marketing avenues will no longer be available to FP, and it will have to spend real money for adverts/promotions. It's a balance.

    Nixing gifting was a good choice, since most users don't use it, only hardcore types (read: people who don't pay). Likewise, the nuisance charges only hit accounts without a balance (again, people who don't pay).

    Ditto for data throttling, which only materially impacts non-paying accounts. Paid accounts aren't throttled, and even if they were, 5Mb/s is much more palatable than 1Mb/s.

    BTW, the "5MB or 5 calls" criteria are bogus, as the nuisance charges happened system-wide at the same time (Aug 25 & 26), and not per account. Secondly, per my own accounts and from others' reports, many of the charged accounts were in regular use. So don't count on the above as a rule. IMO, if your acct has zero balance, expect 1c charges to periodically recur regardless of what you do.

    To sum, the goal is to pester non-paying users to either pay up or get out. Realistically, FP won't ever get to 100% monetization, and I expect it's probably aiming for 50% ideally. You can be in the 50% non-paying portion as long as you can bear the increased pain threshold. I'd expect the next pain to be throttling of SIM data for non-paying pokes.

    Personally, I'll still have some FP accounts around for backup/redundancy purposes. But I've already transitioned away from FP SIMs for primary use, given much more appealing freebies from Sprint and Xfinity Mobile.


    >680mb. Sim card safeguard is 20mb

    Unless you like paying $15, then you need at least a 50MB buffer, so more like 630, or 600 for the more conservative.
    Very well said! Too bad your comment can't be sticky-ed to the top of this thread. I think you summed up FreedomPop's plan and dilemma very nicely.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by min1968 View Post
    680mb. Sim card safeguard is 20mb , unlike CDMA 100mb
    Have you personally tested this yourself, or seen anyone else who has? I know some people say it's 20mb, and others say it's 100mb, but as far as I know, the official number is 100mb. Just because someone says it's 20mb doesn't make it so, and it's dangerous to say it's 20mb if it's not.
    For the Sprint devices, it's always been 100mb. For the Global sim, word was that it was 20mb. Then FP updated a support document to say that for phones it is 100mb, but for sim cards it is 20mb. But then they updated that support document again and deleted the part about sim cards is 20mb. Does this sound familiar (support documents being changed with no notice?). So at this point on their website, all it says is the auto-top-up trigger is 100mb. Unless someone has actually used 670mb out of 700mb and has not been hit with the $15 credit, I would not say the limit is 20mb.
    So again, does anyone have any actual experience proving the trigger is 20mb and not 100mb???

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,126
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dudest View Post
    Have you personally tested this yourself, or seen anyone else who has? I know some people say it's 20mb, and others say it's 100mb, but as far as I know, the official number is 100mb. Just because someone says it's 20mb doesn't make it so, and it's dangerous to say it's 20mb if it's not.
    For the Sprint devices, it's always been 100mb. For the Global sim, word was that it was 20mb. Then FP updated a support document to say that for phones it is 100mb, but for sim cards it is 20mb. But then they updated that support document again and deleted the part about sim cards is 20mb. Does this sound familiar (support documents being changed with no notice?). So at this point on their website, all it says is the auto-top-up trigger is 100mb. Unless someone has actually used 670mb out of 700mb and has not been hit with the $15 credit, I would not say the limit is 20mb.
    So again, does anyone have any actual experience proving the trigger is 20mb and not 100mb???
    I used ~1,160MB out of my 1,200MB allowance on a FP AT&T LTE SIM card in April, 2017, with no $15 overage top-up.

    Since that time, the most I have used in any month was 955MB.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I used ~1,160MB out of my 1,200MB allowance on a FP AT&T LTE SIM card with no overage being triggered.
    Boz1, Good to know! One question though...
    1. Does your account still have auto-top-up turned ON, in which case this would be a valid test, and would confirm the trigger is at least under 40, and probably 20.
    2. When did this happen (i.e. how long ago). FreedomPop is notorious for changing policies, and as I said, they updated their support document a while ago to remove the statement that sim cards have a 20mb trigger.
    Thanks!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    D/FW, TX
    Posts
    800
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 3T, Nexus 5X , Moto E 2015
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, FreedomPop, MintSIM, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Viewing the changes critically, FP is walking a tightrope in squeezing its non-paying userbase. Don't squeeze = heavy freeloading load. But squeeze too hard = negative PR spreading.

    FP's primary marketing is still mainly through word-of-mouth, in which bargain sites like SD/FW play a large role. If FP kills all the perks--eg, zero Friends bonus--it'll face a mass exodus, including paying users. As it is, FP already incurs a significant amount of negative PR from the forums (including here). If it goes too far, neg PR will increase to a point where these cheap marketing avenues will no longer be available to FP, and it will have to spend real money for adverts/promotions. It's a balance.

    Nixing gifting was a good choice, since most users don't use it, only hardcore types (read: people who don't pay). Likewise, the nuisance charges only hit accounts without a balance (again, people who don't pay).

    Ditto for data throttling, which only materially impacts non-paying accounts. Paid accounts aren't throttled, and even if they were, 5Mb/s is much more palatable than 1Mb/s.

    BTW, the "5MB or 5 calls" criteria are bogus, as the nuisance charges happened system-wide at the same time (Aug 25 & 26), and not per account. Secondly, per my own accounts and from others' reports, many of the charged accounts were in regular use. So don't count on the above as a rule. IMO, if your acct has zero balance, expect 1c charges to periodically recur regardless of what you do.

    To sum, the goal is to pester non-paying users to either pay up or get out. Realistically, FP won't ever get to 100% monetization, and I expect it's probably aiming for 50% ideally. You can be in the 50% non-paying portion as long as you can bear the increased pain threshold. I'd expect the next pain to be throttling of SIM data for non-paying pokes.

    Personally, I'll still have some FP accounts around for backup/redundancy purposes. But I've already transitioned away from FP SIMs for primary use, given much more appealing freebies from Sprint and Xfinity Mobile.


    >680mb. Sim card safeguard is 20mb

    Unless you like paying $15, then you need at least a 50MB buffer, so more like 630, or 600 for the more conservative.
    I agree with this. FreedomPop has to make money and minimize expenses somehow if they do not want to end up like RingPlus. But they need to be VERY careful not to run off the freebie SD/FW users.

    I think we here have been honest mostly about FP, but educated enough to know that you get what you pay for. FreedomPop has its place in the prepaid world. Most people here have options if they don't like them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,126
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dudest View Post
    Boz1, Good to know! One question though...
    1. Does your account still have auto-top-up turned ON, in which case this would be a valid test, and would confirm the trigger is at least under 40, and probably 20.
    2. When did this happen (i.e. how long ago). FreedomPop is notorious for changing policies, and as I said, they updated their support document a while ago to remove the statement that sim cards have a 20mb trigger.
    Thanks!
    Yes. Auto top-up is enabled on all of my FP accounts. I've never paid anything to FP except for the initial $0.01 to $0.99 for the SIM cards. It was in April, 2017.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,126
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Except for one month when I was running some speed tests, I have used between 805MB and 955MB monthly on my FP AT&T SIM card.

    I use cellular data via Hangouts for voice and messaging on my cell phone, and I have no WiFi available at work, so I'm going to have to make a change.

    I use a dual SIM adapter in my LG Phoenix 2, with 1 SIM card that has data available in Canada for monthly trips there, and the other being my FP AT&T LTE SIM card. I liked this setup, because the dual SIM card adapter fits nicely inside the back cover of the Phoenix 2, and when there was 1,200MB/mo available on a single FP AT&T LTE SIM card, I never had to open the back.

    My current options as I see them:
    1. swap my FP AT&T LTE SIM card halfway through each month
    2. Buy a $20 used AT&T hotspot like ebay.com/itm/222628055541 to use at work.
    3. Buy a triple SIM card adapter like http://ebay.com/itm/Three-SIM-Card-A...0/322224343243 & hope it works as well with my phone as my current dual SIM card adapter. The one at the link is a micro SIM, so I'd have to trim it down to nano size to fit my phone, but it should work.
    4. Buy freedompop.com/offer/nobill for $50.98 for 1 year of 1GB/mo, which should also be able to add 500MB/mo wirh 10+ Freedom Friends for a total of 1,500MB/mo.

    Decisions, decisions...
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,304
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went from free to $120 a year - 4gb data, unlimt talk/text on cricket. Got in on a group where my line is only $10 a month. It was too good to pass up. $120 is not free in any sense of the word, but still very affordable for what i'm getting.

    Even that's overkill. Current cycle is over in a few days. I've used ~800 MB of data, most of it from tethering.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 10:12 PM
  2. new policy on handset exchanges?
    By shady104 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 12:10 AM
  3. new policy on handset exchange?
    By brok3ball3r in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 12:37 PM
  4. Nextel starting formal policy on Bonus Mins and Recurring Credits
    By Next Steps in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 09:25 PM
  5. New Exploit on Siemens 35 and 45 phones
    By Infra in forum Siemens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 05:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks