Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 75

Thread: FreedomPop has a new policy on FreedomPop Friends and sharing data

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,387
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does using fp sip credentials via non fp app (sip app) still count towards use? Calling one fp number from another. Both accounts considered 'in use'?

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    52
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It must be costing them more than it is worth to process the charges.
    I bet they're doing it to inflate the number of active users

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Space City
    Posts
    1,068
    Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    FYI, with FP now strictly enforcing acct suspension for non-use, your 500MB Friends bonus may not be safe, as suspended accts don't get or give bonus.

    . Friends bonus is conferred at cycle start. If acct is suspended at cycle start, once awakened, it loses all of its Friends bonus for that entire cycle. This is important, since it's not a viable option to let your SIMs "sleep" for non-use, and expect to wake them to be used on demand. You need a keep-alive method.

    . In the same vein, if a Friend is suspended in mid-cycle, that Friend's bonus stays with you until your cycle ends.

    . Friends bonus is also conferred (one-time) when you get new Friends. Good workaround if you find your SIM stripped of its Friends bonus.

    . Have 20-30 Friends to minimize chance of Friends count dropping below 10.

    . Check acct after cycle start to ascertain full allotment.

    Note: If a suspended acct is awakened, it may again be suspended in 1-2 days unless you also get new phone number for acct.
    THANKS for the info!

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    430
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Interesting. That is contrary to the insistence by user aenews that FP GSM SIMS have an auto-refill threshold of 20 MB within the ultimate cap (for example, 680 if your cap is 700 [200 base and 500 "friends"]).

    @aenews: what say you to this?
    Hard to say. It could very well be that policy has changed. It was still 20MB earlier even when FAQ's did not mention a separate Top-Up limit for SIM's. It still appears that accounts with Top-Up disabled still can use 680MB without getting data disabled. Whereas for Sprint devices, data will be disabled after 900MB. Of course there's the two hour or so reporting delay.
    Sign up for FreedomPop!

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,662
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    So, I had this brilliant idea of sharing 20MB from each of my FP accounts to one of my Freedom Friends (FF) to see if that would help keep my account from being deactivated. Well, of course, each of my FF already receives the max 500MB from THEIR FF pool, so that doesn't work!

    Now I'm wondering about unfriending all of my FF from one or two of my FP Global SIMs to have an account or two that doesn't receive any FF automatic data so I can gift 20MB from my other FP SIMs.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,972
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    0

    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Now I'm wondering about unfriending all of my FF from one or two of my FP Global SIMs to have an account or two that doesn't receive any FF automatic data so I can gift 20MB from my other FP SIMs.
    I don't think there is a mechanism to "unfriend".

    The mechanism to renew or cancel invites does not work either.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,662
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aenews View Post
    The threshold for Top-Up activating is within 20MB for the LTE SIM and Global SIM. 100MB is for Sprint devices.
    For the period ending sometime in the afternoon of 11/29/17, I used 623MB of data on one of my AT&T LTE SIM cards per my FP online account. My phone reported that I used 628MB for the same end date. The difference was probably because my phone reset data usage at 11:59pm, but my FP online account shows the last usage at 4:48pm.

    I did NOT get charged $15 for a top-up. I have NOT paid anything to diable auto top-ups. There are lots of discussions around the internet indicating that the FP Global & AT&T LTE SIM cards charge a top-up when under 20MB remaining, while FP Sprint charges a top-up when under 100MB remaining.

    My experience with a FP AT&T SIM card for the period ending 11/29/17 still supports the above. But, as always, proceed at your own risk with FP...
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    D/FW, TX
    Posts
    817
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    For the period ending sometime in the afternoon of 11/29/17, I used 623MB of data on one of my AT&T LTE SIM cards per my FP online account. My phone reported that I used 628MB for the same end date. The difference was probably because my phone reset data usage at 11:59pm, but my FP online account shows the last usage at 4:48pm.

    I did NOT get charged $15 for a top-up. I have NOT paid anything to diable auto top-ups. There are lots of discussions around the internet indicating that the FP Global & AT&T LTE SIM cards charge a top-up when under 20MB remaining, while FP Sprint charges a top-up when under 100MB remaining.

    My experience with a FP AT&T SIM card for the period ending 11/29/17 still supports the above. But, as always, proceed at your own risk with FP...
    Miguel with FreedomPop has told me that they will no longer have a threshold on all devices. So a top up should not occur unless the data limit is exceeded. I don't think a forum post has been made yet.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,662
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    Miguel with FreedomPop has told me that they will no longer have a threshold on all devices. So a top up should not occur unless the data limit is exceeded. I don't think a forum post has been made yet.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    How/where did Miguel give you that info?

    Really, a top up should NOT occur until the free data has been used up, especially since a valid payment method is required to have an active account, which is apparently being tested using those $0.01 charges.

    Even more, a set top up amount shouldn't even be required. since a valid payment method on file would allow real time billing for overages, which I think is still $0.015/MB for GSM SIMs and $0.02/MB for Sprint accounts, according to https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...vailable-plans .

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    D/FW, TX
    Posts
    817
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    How/where did Miguel give you that info?

    Really, a top up should NOT occur until the free data has been used up, especially since a valid payment method is required to have an active account, which is apparently being tested using those $0.01 charges.

    Even more, a set top up amount shouldn't even be required. since a valid payment method on file would allow real time billing for overages, which I think is still $0.015/MB for GSM SIMs and $0.02/MB for Sprint accounts, according to https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...vailable-plans .
    It was in a mail thread to Pros so not available for me to link. They want it spread by word of mouth before they post about it for some reason. I will post proof when they provide it.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,662
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    It was in a mail thread to Pros so not available for me to link. They want it spread by word of mouth before they post about it for some reason. I will post proof when they provide it.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    If it does become an official FP policy, I'm sure a lot of people will be happy. I currently have my phone's data warning set to 625MB and data cut off set to 650MB. If full use of data allowance before triggering a top up becomes an official FP policy, I might up those to 650MB warning and 675MB cut off, so it won't affect me too much, since I've always operated under the assumption that I wouldn't be charged for a top up unless I got within 20MB of my 700MB allowance (200MB+500MB), which has proven to be true, at least for me, but it would still be a nice change.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    430
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    Miguel with FreedomPop has told me that they will no longer have a threshold on all devices. So a top up should not occur unless the data limit is exceeded. I don't think a forum post has been made yet.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I also heard about the change. Also seems they may be testing limited forgiveness for minor overages if Top-Up is disabled (i.e. no overage charges for running up 1001MB).

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    430
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >Also seems they may be testing limited forgiveness for minor overages if Top-Up is disabled

    I used 732MB and wasn't charged. Auto-topup is disabled.
    That would possibly corroborate the notice I received and should make people happy if it continues to be policy

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,972
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    0

    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    I suppose the random 1c charge gets the billing. $.01 may irritate people, but at least they won't do a chargeback and swear off FP. Is it still in force?
    I have heard no complaints recently.
    But that kind of proves your point that it irritates people.
    And we know HoFoers would complain so we would know here more likely than elsewhere.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    266
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    There needs to be a fundamental deficit/irritant/hassle to free use to motivate users to pay.
    VoIP calling is a sufficient irritant. If they offered real cellular voice, I'd pay them for it. Instead, Red Pocket gets all the money.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 11:12 PM
  2. new policy on handset exchanges?
    By shady104 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 01:10 AM
  3. new policy on handset exchange?
    By brok3ball3r in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
  4. Nextel starting formal policy on Bonus Mins and Recurring Credits
    By Next Steps in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 10:25 PM
  5. New Exploit on Siemens 35 and 45 phones
    By Infra in forum Siemens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 06:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks