Thread: It would be great if Tmobile waive the texting fee for Harvey affected areas

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

It would be great if Tmobile waive the texting fee for Harvey affected areas

I live in a Houston suburb and we experienced the Harvey's rain relentlessly for the last few days. I do not have the unlimited text like others so I'm expecting a large bill for this time period because of all the texting with families and friends during the storm. I'm have the legacy postpaid plan and am paying .20 for every text sent and received. I'm not asking for a handout but I know a lot of folks are in my situation and any help in reducing cost in this hard time will greatly be appreciated. It would be a great gesture if T-mobile can waive the texting fee.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slingster View Post
    I live in a Houston suburb and we experienced the Harvey's rain relentlessly for the last few days. I do not have the unlimited text like others so I'm expecting a large bill for this time period because of all the texting with families and friends during the storm. I'm have the legacy postpaid plan and am paying .20 for every text sent and received. I'm not asking for a handout but I know a lot of folks are in my situation and any help in reducing cost in this hard time will greatly be appreciated. It would be a great gesture if T-mobile can waive the texting fee.
    I thought T-Mobile waived phone and text.
    https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...ane-harvey.htm

Bellevue, Washington – August 25, 2017 – To help our customers connect with loved ones in the path of Hurricane Harvey, T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) is making it free for customers, including prepaid customers, to call or text from impacted areas of Texas and Louisiana.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I thought T-Mobile waived phone and text.
    https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...ane-harvey.htm

Bellevue, Washington – August 25, 2017 – To help our customers connect with loved ones in the path of Hurricane Harvey, T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) is making it free for customers, including prepaid customers, to call or text from impacted areas of Texas and Louisiana.
    Thanks formercanuck! I did not know about it since it's been quite hectic lately to check the web. I'm glad that they offered it....mucho appreciation to T-mobile! I felt much better now knowing that every time my phone buzzes (receiving text) I don't have to worry about another .20 on the bill.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    @slingster, How's it going? I've been keeping an eye on some of the stream gauges around Houston. I have a cousin who lives a block from Buffalo Bayou in the Post Oak area. On Sunday he said some of the houses near him had water but he was OK.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    @slingster, How's it going? I've been keeping an eye on some of the stream gauges around Houston. I have a cousin who lives a block from Buffalo Bayou in the Post Oak area. On Sunday he said some of the houses near him had water but he was OK.
    DRNewcomb - We're lucky and didn't get water in the house. Many folks near Buffalo Bayou got flooded but if he didn't get flooded on Sunday then it's a good sign. The sun finally came out today.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    It's weird how TMobile has generators(seen them personally) at some sites that rarely have issues while not having them in more of the prone spots.

Battery backup seem to go quick. Is money the main reason not to use better backups than batteries ? Or do things like permits and red tape come into play also?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    ...Battery backup seem to go quick. Is money the main reason not to use better backups than batteries ? Or do things like permits and red tape come into play also?
    I'm pretty sure it's all of the above. For instance, it must be very difficult to install backup power on rooftop sites. Batteries just need to be changed every couple of years. Generators require regular maintenance, including fuel management.

Does anyone know how many KVA it takes to power your average multi-band macro-site? I wouldn't guess more than 5 KVA but the generators look larger than that.

Feedback Score
    I use Tmobile prepaid, and they have not been subtracting minutes from my airtime since Harvey and still no charges as of today. I have texting disabled, so don't know about text. I also have an H2O phone, use it for text. 5c/text, 5c/min.
    Thank you Tmobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    I use Tmobile prepaid, and they have not been subtracting minutes from my airtime since Harvey and still no charges as of today. I have texting disabled, so don't know about text. I also have an H2O phone, use it for text. 5c/text, 5c/min.
    Thank you Tmobile.
    That's very nice of them.

Redwood Valley, CA (Mendocino County, NW CA)
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slingster View Post
    DRNewcomb - We're lucky and didn't get water in the house. Many folks near Buffalo Bayou got flooded but if he didn't get flooded on Sunday then it's a good sign. The sun finally came out today.
    Now comes the heat, humidity and bugs

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was a little worry at first when I checked my texting charges few days ago and they showed the 20 cents charge per message. I just received my final bill for this period today and indeed they gave me credit (about $50) for all the texting during Harvey on the bill. So if you're in the affected area you will see the credit when you receive the final bill, regardless of what is shown online on the text usage charges.