Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: LG V30; Officially the first 600Mhz phone

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post

He's either a raging T-Mobile fanboy who is completely blind to reality, or a troll. He behaves like a bit of each.
    Jet1000 is a long term posters on this board and a T-Mobile customer. However you are the one name calling and tossing insults that violates the boards rules. BTW, I am a T-Mobile fan on a T-Mobile board so do you have a problem with that?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Regardless, that comes across like a personal attack. I've done this before too, but there''s nothing to be gained from it.

And there's nothing wrong with being a "T-Mobile fanboy": check the Real Danny, a "raging" unapologetic T-Mobile fanboy who is one of the nicest on this forum.
    I'm becoming a T-Mobile fanboy but I still acknowledge some benefits associated with the other carriers. For a whole I questioned their prices but they have saved me money overall.

What happened to Danny haven't seen him in a while
    Last edited by themanhimself; 09-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I'm becoming a T-Mobile fanboy but I still acknowledge some benefits associated with the other carriers. For a whole I questioned their prices but they have saved me money overall.

What happened to Danny haven't seen him in a while
    He probably can't post using his T-Mobile data any more in California ever since all those new T-Mobile accounts in NW Lower Michigan started hogging the precious limited resources of the network

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The other carriers aren't standing still (except maybe Sprint).
    I haven't exactly seen AT&T and Verizon do much of anything in years in terms of significantly increasing land area mass coverage. The thought was that Verizon would cover every inch of everywhere possible to cover with the nationwide B13 license, and so far, we haven't seen a lot of movement towards more coverage, even though they have one block that they used to overlay their existing CDMA/EVDO footprint nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    When do you think AT&T, USCC and C-Spire will light up their 600 Mhz they got in the auction?
    Not sure what USCC and C-Spire got, but my guess is AT&T will put B71-capable antennas up in the markets they won when they do the B14/29/30 mega-upgrade, and no sooner, as they're not really desperate for the spectrum.

Comcast's spectrum looks to me like a leverage play against Verizon. Whether they build a small network of their own within their own footprint and cross-roam, or lease it to Verizon, I'm not sure, but it will somehow involve Verizon/Xfinity Mobile, and it may also work to change the balance of power for Comcast providing MetroE lines to Verizon as well.

Who knows what the heck DISH is up to, it looks like they want to be an acquisition target, or they're squatting to turn some cash, gain leverage for some sort of wireless deal for home internet. Considering AT&T/DirecTV, Verizon/DISH would make a lot of sense now with this spectrum, although it would continue to make the whole Verizon/XFinity Mobile and Verizon FiOS/Verizon Wireless dynamic that much more complicated and convoluted.

T-Mobile's 600 Mhz is a lot different than T-Mobile 700 Mhz Block "A" that is only 6 Mhz. In most rural areas across the nation T-Mobile owns anywhere from 30Mhz, 40 Mhz and in a few places up to 50 Mhz of 600 Mhz. For a lot of rural areas without a lot of customers that is a lot of bandwidth especially when it becomes 5G.
    Plus their nationwide PCS and whatever AWS they have in that market. Does anyone know what they have for a nationwide license on PCS or AWS? If they had done Michigan properly, the size of the A block wouldn't have mattered a whole lot, as they would have several times that on PCS and AWS, with the A block just for cell edge coverage. Low-band spectrum is really, really important for coverage, but it turns out to not really be important for capacity, as you can move most of the traffic over to PCS and AWS. And if you're in a market that's big enough to overload a 5x5 of 700 when you also have at least 15x15 or 20x20 of mid-band running, then you probably need to move to PCS-spaced towers and drop the power on 700 anyway.

Jet1000 is a long term posters on this board and a T-Mobile customer. However you are the one name calling and tossing insults that violates the boards rules. BTW, I am a T-Mobile fan on a T-Mobile board so do you have a problem with that?
    Being a T-Mobile fan is fine, but you have to acknowledge reality, like when T-Mobile cuts corners and screws things up. I'm a long-time Cingular/AT&T customer, but I will tell you exactly when they screw things up. The PCS UMTS rollout was a big screw-up, most of NYC was an AT&T screwup until a few years ago when they got LTE B2/17 up, and even then, it took them B29/30 to really overcome their lack of density in that market. I've heard Colorado and New Mexico are a mess on AT&T, and while it wasn't AT&T's screw up, since they only had PCS and towers spaced for CLR to work with, their coverage was lousy in New Hampshire until B17 LTE went live a few years ago.

But on the balance, they have been a very good carrier from a network experience, and reign supreme here in Connecticut and Vermont, while improving their position relative to the network leader Verizon in MA, NH, RI, ME, and NY. Their phone selection is another story, and is probably the worst in the industry due to their longstanding iPhone centricity.

He probably can't post using his T-Mobile data any more in California ever since all those new T-Mobile accounts in NW Lower Michigan started hogging the precious limited resources of the network
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score

Yeah and I am enough of a "fan" that I trust how the company is pursuing its Band 71 expansion.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'm way more confident with their 600 build with how serious they seem so far and that seems to increase consistently. At first I wondered but tmo seems very serious

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I'm way more confident with their 600 build with how serious they seem so far and that seems to increase consistently. At first I wondered but tmo seems very serious
    Time will tell. If the new sites go up with 3x CA and LG V30s are hitting 150mbps+ speedtests initially, then we'll know they're serious. If we find B71-only and/or backhaul starvation, then we'll know they're not serious. They need to go back and fix those B12 sites in Michigan too and get them running 3x CA. Maybe they're waiting for B71 to do a super-upgrade to B2/4/12/71 all at once.....

Feedback Score
    They need to go back and fix those B12 sites in Michigan too and get them running 3x CA. Maybe they're waiting for B71 to do a super-upgrade to B2/4/12/71 all at once.....
    I'll take your word on it... I have no idea yet what Carrier Aggregation is!

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'll take your word on it... I have no idea yet what Carrier Aggregation is!
    I mean, at least you know what it stands for, but that's kind a big deal in the LTE world!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=carrier+aggregation

Feedback Score
    I would hope that they have network engineers who are looking at this stuff, and seeing how horrible the speeds are during peak tourist season in some of these places.
    I don't see the complaints that speeds are horrible during peak tourist season. Which leads me to believe that there's not enough people using this coverage to bog it down.

I don't go to the backcountry or wilderness, and there are plenty of places without any T-Mobile coverage.
    My experience has been quite the opposite. But then again I'm not driving through these low population areas.

I haven't exactly seen AT&T and Verizon do much of anything in years in terms of significantly increasing land area mass coverage.
    Right. It's called the law of diminishing returns. Their execs are familiar with it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

Being a T-Mobile fan is fine, but you have to acknowledge reality, like when T-Mobile cuts corners and screws things up.
    I admitted that they're cutting corners, but I support their efforts to do so. I can't admit they're screwing things up when they keep gaining customers, and their stock prices keep rising. It looks like they're doing all the right things. Yes, they throw up a few sites in the desolate areas, but they know where their bread is buttered and they're keeping their speeds in the metro areas high because those are the customers that are keeping them profitable.
    Last edited by jet1000; 09-19-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I don't see the complaints that speeds are horrible during peak tourist season. Which leads me to believe that there's not enough people using this coverage to bog it down.
    A 5x5 isn't going to survive summer in Northern Michigan. No way, no how.

My experience has been quite the opposite. But then again I'm not driving through these low population areas.
    There are plenty of places. Look at the map.

Right. It's called the law of diminishing returns. Their execs are familiar with it:
    In theory, they're supposed to compete. It works for some things, but not for raw coverage. Both carriers have gaping holes in their network.

I admitted that they're cutting corners, but I support their efforts to do so. I can't admit they're screwing things up when they keep gaining customers, and their stock prices keep rising. It looks like they're doing all the right things. Yes, they throw up a few sites in the desolate areas, but they know where their bread is buttered and they're keeping their speeds in the metro areas high because those are the customers that are keeping them profitable.
    Then you're a blind fanboy who is disconnected from reality.

Feedback Score
    A 5x5 isn't going to survive summer in Northern Michigan. No way, no how.
    It just did.

There are plenty of places. Look at the map.
    The places I see that aren't covered on the map have very few people.

In theory, they're supposed to compete. It works for some things, but not for raw coverage. Both carriers have gaping holes in their network.
    Yes, gaping holes that they've determined aren't profitable to cover. Clearly if it was profitable they would be rushing to add the coverage. And yes, the law of diminishing returns works fine here. As you cover more areas, the profitability of covering new areas declines as there are fewer and fewer people willing to pay for that coverage.

Then you're a blind fanboy who is disconnected from reality.
    You're someone who stops discussing a topic rationally and has to go into name calling and personal attacks. I stated my view of T-Mobile's current activities and also stated my opinion as to why they are doing it. Calling someone "blind", "disconnected" or a "fanboy" really doesn't further the discussion at all.

Feedback Score
    Time will tell. If the new sites go up with 3x CA and LG V30s are hitting 150mbps+ speedtests initially, then we'll know they're serious. If we find B71-only and/or backhaul starvation, then we'll know they're not serious. They need to go back and fix those B12 sites in Michigan too and get them running 3x CA. Maybe they're waiting for B71 to do a super-upgrade to B2/4/12/71 all at once.....
    I really hope so, im in the thumb and travel all around thumb, bay city and occasionally Clio (which I haven't done on tmo yet since switching back last week) and the towers are so spread out and hit a lot of no service gaps or gaps with att service but can't use it since no roaming here. Switched since I'm anti thumb cellular and att doesn't like to work indoors where I go so tmo is next best bet.

Find it funny I hold b4 almost as well as b12 around here with similar dbms, b12 isn't all that impressive really in my experiences.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I admitted that they're cutting corners, but I support their efforts to do so. I can't admit they're screwing things up when they keep gaining customers, and their stock prices keep rising. It looks like they're doing all the right things.
    Total agreement.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It just did.
    As in, the antennas are still on the tower and they are still operating? So EDGE would have survived by those standards too.

The places I see that aren't covered on the map have very few people.
    Tourists. There are places with lots of tourists and visitors.

Yes, gaping holes that they've determined aren't profitable to cover. Clearly if it was profitable they would be rushing to add the coverage. And yes, the law of diminishing returns works fine here. As you cover more areas, the profitability of covering new areas declines as there are fewer and fewer people willing to pay for that coverage.
    Except that another carrier has covered them in many cases. In a perfect world, AT&T and Verizon would cross-roam, since everything in LTE now, and technically it would be trivially easy but that would quite literally take an act of Congress to get that working. Or they'd partner in rural areas to run a single network with more coverage. But that would never happen either. Maybe the next best thing will happen, and somebody will make a Dual-SIM phone with B2/4/5/12/13/29/30/66 and VoLTE.

You're someone who stops discussing a topic rationally and has to go into name calling and personal attacks. I stated my view of T-Mobile's current activities and also stated my opinion as to why they are doing it. Calling someone "blind", "disconnected" or a "fanboy" really doesn't further the discussion at all.
    And instead of dealing with the gaping holes in your non-logic, you resort to blaming me of "not discussing a topic rationally", which is a demonstrably baseless accusation. If you think that doesn't further the discussion, then don't be a blind fanboy, then no one will have to call you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy2c View Post
    I really hope so, im in the thumb and travel all around thumb, bay city and occasionally Clio (which I haven't done on tmo yet since switching back last week) and the towers are so spread out and hit a lot of no service gaps or gaps with att service but can't use it since no roaming here. Switched since I'm anti thumb cellular and att doesn't like to work indoors where I go so tmo is next best bet.
    What do you hate so much about Thumb Cellular? That gets you on the Verizon LTEiRA/B13 system....

Total agreement.
    Until they have a lot of churn or cap out on growth because of their lousy network.

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast